Sign in to follow this  
guy123

OFP File transfer 'Bad serial key given in setup'

Hello all.

I read a post about this in the forums just now, but it didn't really solve my specific problem.

Basically, I'm at university, and the other side of the country from my old OFP CD - thats if its still even in existence at my parents place, they've probably thrown it out). I've just found all my old OFP files on an old HDD plugged into my system, and decided to transfer the files over onto my current HDD and give the old and priceless Resistance campaign a roll.

However, I receive the message 'Bad serial key given in setup'. Now, as I understand thsi is because the exe file is looking into the registry to try to find the serial key, and obviously, unable to find anything as I've not been able to transfer the registry keys.

Now, as installing is not an option, as the original cd is miles away (Ironically I've got the resistance CD here just not the ofp one lol)

Does anyone know;

A - How to find the registry keys from the windows folder on my old HDD?

b - Where I can get legal copies of the registry keys?

Thanks!

You can find your registry key when you go to Start -> Run and type regedit. After that, I'm not really sure where to go from there but type in the regedit's searchfield Flashpoint and you might bump into it.

The only way to obtain new legal keys is to buy a new copy of the game.

No such luck, its all on the other hard drive :( - I could probably load up on that HDD and copy the reg files, but does anyone know whether backed up reg files from windows xp will work on windows 7 64?

The keys in Win. XP are stored under:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Codemasters\Flashpoint Resistance

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Codemasters\Operation Flashpoint

Depending on where you placed the files on your PC, you may need to change the "MAIN" value (install directory). The keys are stored in binary format, so you will need to use Google to find a translator for that (in case you want to write them down as well).

I have no idea whether you can import them into Windows 7 directly.

For registry files on a hard drive other than your windows drive you can use "import" from the regedit menu.

You will need to know which folder has the registry files, i can't remember for XP but try looking around windows/system/config.

you want to import the "software" hive.

After some frustration with trying to copy my OFP 1.96 installation from a Windows XP machine to my new Windows 7 64-bit laptop, I would like to share some pertinent information.

The gotcha with doing this type of "copy" installation is a difference with the registry entry import.

The original registry entries from the:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Codemasters

subkey.

must be imported into the Windows 7 64-bit registry under the:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Codemasters

subkey.

If you don't do this you will get the dreaded "bad serial number given at setup" error which is the same thing you'll get if the correct registry values do not exist at all.

Other than that, the copy install seems to work fine without needing any compatibility settings or administrative credentials.

Good luck & I hope this helps :)