Sign in to follow this  
Heigou

How to mark targets?

So, I have a few question.

I just did a co-op game with my friends, but all I could do is tell them in the chat that there's a dude at 3 o'clock and from there they had to blindly search for him.

So, I was squad leader and I was wondering if there was any way to MARK them for my friends to see them, instead of blindly telling them their where abouts.

Also, what are laser markers for exactly, if I point my laser at a building and my friend is riding an AH-1 or something does this mean he'll be able to press TAB and lock on to the laser?

Can laser markers be used to mark targets for your infantry friends to see too?

I don't think that there's a way to mark your targets on highter difficulty levels, but on lover you should be able by giving attack order like in single player, I'm not sure thought. Laser marker is used to mark targets for air units, but not for all. I think that for AH-1 it is aviable. Remember that you need batteries for laser marker, at least using ACE mod. I don't hemember how it was in vanilla ArmA.

I play on regular in co-op online with my friends, so if there's a way I'd like to know how.

I'm asking that because when I play with AI squad leaders they can always mark targets with a red reticle thing, so my friends and I knows who to shoot.

So, certain choppers and jets maybe can lock on to laser markers?

So, if my friend marks a spot with one and I'm flying a jet/chopper I can lock on to it?

Edited by Heigou

Normally you should be able to lock onto any laser target. Afaik even without having guided weapons selected.

Maybe they fucked something up again with one of the patches, surprise surprise.

I do hope you are using the laser marker and not the toy laser pointer on the rifle? ;)

So, I tested a bit with my friend and if he was using the laser designator the hellfire missiles shoot to where he was pointing but there was no lock on indicator, it even told me there was nothing to lock on to when I shoot but yet it went to the laser marker.

Also, what are sidewinders for?

they didn't work with the laser designator like the hellfire did.

Edited by Heigou

Sidewinders are IR seeking Air-to-Air Missiles. Don't even know why they are on the Apache, cause afaik Apaches don't carry them at all. For A/A they carry their Stingers. In my opinion a A/A Setup of the Apache doesn't make sense..

The things that can lock onto laser designated targets are:

AGM-114 Hellfires (They can lock onto enemy tanks too without laser)

GBU-12 (They can only lock onto laser targets)

CH-29 (If you got ArmA 2, it's on the Su-34, they're anti-building and anti-tank air-to-ground missiles)

FAB-250 (Russian Iron Bombs, not really sure if they can, they can lock onto enemy infantry and vehicles though)

If you're playing in Expert mode, target "lock circles" won't show up on the screen.

To mark a "red circle" on the enemy, select the player you want with F1-F12, press #2 and select the enemy you want in the menu. It should appear as "target" to the player you selected.

;1799327']Sidewinders are IR seeking Air-to-Air Missiles. Don't even know why they are on the Apache' date=' cause afaik Apaches don't carry them at all. For A/A they carry their Stingers. In my opinion a A/A Setup of the Apache doesn't make sense..[/quote']

Just some worst case scenario setup maybe, frequently used by munchkins as an all-round-weapon.

To mark a "red circle" on the enemy, select the player you want with F1-F12, press #2 and select the enemy you want in the menu. It should appear as "target" to the player you selected.

Works only if the player is in your squad doesn't it?

For me the whole Revealing targets, Assigning targets and confirming killed targets is very hit and miss.

As a squad member I never seem to be able to call out (or "reveal", as the game calls it) targets that I spot. But I seem to be able to do it ok if I'm the squadleader, most of the time.... Worked in OFP

Confirming killed targets seems to have a time limit of about 1 second (unless your in a vehicle...why?). Worked in OFP

Assigning targets as squadleader is hit and miss also. You can use the back space menu (eg: F2, 2, 5 (Number 2, target that AT soldier) ) but that is useless in the heat of battle. There is another way but it wont always work: you press the F# key of the soldier you want to order to attack, move the box over the enemy you want him to target and press the Reveal Target button, that will get him to target it (and give him a red circle if human), AI will then kill it. Doing the same with the left mouse button orders him to Attack the target, which is just the same as the previous one except you don't get a red circle..iirc. I think the left mouse button way will break any "Hold Fire" commands where as the reveal target button will not.

What annoys the hell out of me is that these are yet MORE things that worked fine in Operation Flashpoint every single time but since Arma1 have been screwy and unreliable......Mostly when using them with other humans playing in your squad

So, I tried different jets/choppers.

From what I saw, I couldn't lock on to ANYTHING with the hellfires except laser designated targets, as for sidewinders I could lock on to choppers, and for some reason also to tanks.

I tried other missiles and I couldn't lock on to choppers atleast it didn't seem to work, but I could lock to tank, except I had to be like within 200 meters and by the time I was waiting for the lock on to finish, I was already past the tank.

Other missiles that just couldn't lock on to anything at ALL it seems, and the manual fire was difficult as shit, pretty useless.

I'm pretty damn confused.

Edited by Heigou

Well, thanks alot Walker and everyone else, that was all quite helpful.

Though, I'm still wondering how I'm supposed to know what missiles does what and what jets/choppers have them in the editor.

I have ACE2 if that changes anything but I've had Sidewinder locking on tanks even though it's supposed to be an air to air missile?

Ah yes, ACE2.

Hellfires and it's Russian counter-parts have a fire control system in ACE2.

In the Apache, the gunner can just point it's cam on the enemy target, fire the Hellfire and it'll follow the gunner's camera.

Well, on regular I still can't seem to target enemies for my friends to see, my guy does like "ATTACK RIFLEMAN 4 O'CLOCK" or "RIFLEMAN SPOTTED 5 O'CLOCK" and all that crap, but it doesn't show my friends ANYTHING at all, so they're just blindly looking around.

I think those reticles you are reffering to are not available in every difficulty level.

They should use their eyes more often rather than relying on the target help. They lose accuracy when the target is concealed and they might also not be there anymore at the time the player finds the reticle.

Better play with compass directions and distances. Try training situational awareness.

For me the whole Revealing targets, Assigning targets and confirming killed targets is very hit and miss.

As a squad member I never seem to be able to call out (or "reveal", as the game calls it) targets that I spot. But I seem to be able to do it ok if I'm the squadleader, most of the time.... Worked in OFP

Confirming killed targets seems to have a time limit of about 1 second (unless your in a vehicle...why?). Worked in OFP

Assigning targets as squadleader is hit and miss also. You can use the back space menu (eg: F2, 2, 5 (Number 2, target that AT soldier) ) but that is useless in the heat of battle. There is another way but it wont always work: you press the F# key of the soldier you want to order to attack, move the box over the enemy you want him to target and press the Reveal Target button, that will get him to target it (and give him a red circle if human), AI will then kill it. Doing the same with the left mouse button orders him to Attack the target, which is just the same as the previous one except you don't get a red circle..iirc. I think the left mouse button way will break any "Hold Fire" commands where as the reveal target button will not.

What annoys the hell out of me is that these are yet MORE things that worked fine in Operation Flashpoint every single time but since Arma1 have been screwy and unreliable......Mostly when using them with other humans playing in your squad

actually they sort of changed how this works in arma 2,

if you want the red circle to show up and for the squad members to attack, you need to first change all squad members to engage at will firemode. then u can issue target orders and they will be taken as attack orders and ai or human players will be able to see them/engage them. however if the status is just engage or disengage on squad members nothing will happen usually with the target that soldier order...

[[ive highlighted the important bit of my ramble in the hope it helps someone lol ]]

For some reason i had to change the controls to remove 'back' from the right mouse button to get the right-mouse targeting for AI subordinates to work properly and consistantly...

But at least it works now and i dont have to use left-mouse-button which makes them 'engage' and leave formation.. and its quicker than pressing.. F2, 2, target.. etc.

But that's the difference ive noted,

Left mouse makes them engage, which cancels current orders and causes them to run off..

Right mouse makes them target them, but stay in position/firemode..

I never really play as squadmember but it would make sense that both the above orders would give the same red reticle on easy-mode.. Perhaps making it change colour depending on your firemode. Not important to me personally, because i dont play on easy mode.. But i can see why it would give new players problems.