Sign in to follow this  
Synide

modo p3d plugin

I've made a Modo user group, see my signature for link. I think it'd be great if we could talk some shop and spread some lovin' around (or maybe just exchange notes).

Is there any export information? Followed your install video, and the other video in the package was just about import.

When I try to export my model I only get "Scene save was unsucessful -- Failed"

Edited by breyz

Hi,

In modo look at the Event Log to see what the problem was. You view this through System>Advanced>Event Log.

If you are using 501 you need to turn on the logging of the 'io-status' subsystem by issuing the modo command 'log.subEnable io-status true'.

I'd guess you probably have n-gons and/or non-face type polygons in one (or more) of your meshes.

For saving you can only have tri's & quads in your mesh and 'face' type polygons.

Cheers, Sy.

Ok, thank you. I will have a look there in a couple of hours. I don't know much about the process of modeling for Arma, I'm adept at modeling, but can I do all my modeling, uv mapping and baking (normals, ao, etc) in Modo and get everything imported correctly into Oxygen? Or is there certain things I need to do there?

You can do all your modelling, uv'ing, texture assignments, basic texture creation (although for the more specific featured textures you'll probably need something like Photoshop as well), selection assignments, sharp edges, lod properties in modo.

You'll need to recalc normals in O2 though and a few other minor house keeping exercises in O2 before pushing the model through to the game engine.

How are LODs done? Do I just make a couple of versions of the model with lower tris count or? Or is just boxes of simple geometry and the engine handles the rest?

Edited by breyz

How are LODs done? Do I just make a couple of versions of the model with lower tris count or? Or is just boxes of simple geometry and the engine handles the rest?

versions of the model with lower vert count. The rule of thumb is each LOD should have 1/2 of the LOD before it.

IE: if LOD 0 has 10000 verts, LOD1 should have 5000, LOD2 2500 and so forth

why the arma 2 p3d dont work,nothig happens y open them and nothing empty space

What are the prerequisites? All quads, non-intersecting mesh?

Specifically, I have a model that imports fine as .obj into Visitor but fails when exporting using the plugin in Modo (501 sp5). All tris and quads, intersecting.

I can export really simple meshes but lack the understanding of how to debug, not knowing what to check for.

Edited by BadgerDK
added detail

What are the prerequisites?

Polygon Type of 'Face' only. eg. No Subdivs, Curves, Catmull-Clark poly's etc.

Triangles and/or quads.

Visibile 'Mesh' item's.

See the Statistics tab on the right of the standard layout.

...as .obj into Visitor...

You mean Oxygen right? Anyhoo, are there any error messages in the modo log? (System>Advanced>Event Log) when you try to export.

If there are no errors and the .p3d is still not opening in O2PE then perhaps you wouldn't mind sending me the .lxo (not the .obj) synide at rocketmail dot com.

Edited by Synide

:icon_dj:

Excellent, thank you very much. I had a few Pixarised polygons.

Note to self: Don't touch that shortcut! FPDR

a bit ot. does this work with the new 601? I cannot test since the trial is not released yet, but was thinking serious of purchasing the 601 in not that far future (max 2013 might be a bit too expensive for my blood to upgrade this year).

a bit ot. does this work with the new 601? I cannot test since the trial is not released yet, but was thinking serious of purchasing the 601 in not that far future (max 2013 might be a bit too expensive for my blood to upgrade this year).

Should do... the .p3d file format hasn't changed since then and the c++ sdk architecture for modo is com-like with interface, implementation, vtables etc. so quite robust. It should 'just work' and if it doesn't it wouldn't take long to fix. Ok, the little shortcut buttons on the 'modo Modes' toolbar at the top of the default ui layout for 601 would probably disapear 'cause they changed the internal name of it but I'd imagine that'd be the only thing that would prevent this 401 era .lx plugin from working completely.

Hello, erm, perhaps this is an off-topic question but it really intrigues me and nobody has given me a patient answer yet... so, here it goes:

Let's say, if a have a cube -in fact, any shape- and in top of it I put an sphere that is cut in half by cube, so I get a cube base with a half ball on top of it... how do I make a single object with these two meshes, so when I do double click on any part in polygon mode (ALT+3), it will select the whole thing as a part of the same mesh and not as two separated ones...

Is there some kind of automated way to do this in a painless way... not to join point by point and lost a ton of time to get something not much polished... I've seen those boolean functions but I haven`t been able to make them work (so I haven't been able to make even a single hole)

Sorry again, I know this might sound annoying, but I'm just a newbie who's learning basics... perhaps too basic... and anytime I've found a new trick -just like bevel in mesh edit- I have made great advances in my understanding of these creative instances...

there are many, many ways of doing it. One is slice, hide what you want, delete what you don't want and merge vertices. Lots of basic tutorials out there, here's one:

I'm thinking about a wall made of tiny rocks... I put many of them togehter and then I want a mesh with just the outside shape, not the whole thing... I understand your explanation but it seems to take a bit longer for these purposes and it does not assure good/clean results...

Hello, erm, perhaps this is an off-topic question but it really intrigues me and nobody has given me a patient answer yet... so, here it goes:

Let's say, if a have a cube -in fact, any shape- and in top of it I put an sphere that is cut in half by cube, so I get a cube base with a half ball on top of it... how do I make a single object with these two meshes, so when I do double click on any part in polygon mode (ALT+3), it will select the whole thing as a part of the same mesh and not as two separated ones...

Is there some kind of automated way to do this in a painless way... not to join point by point and lost a ton of time to get something not much polished... I've seen those boolean functions but I haven`t been able to make them work (so I haven't been able to make even a single hole)

Sorry again, I know this might sound annoying, but I'm just a newbie who's learning basics... perhaps too basic... and anytime I've found a new trick -just like bevel in mesh edit- I have made great advances in my understanding of these creative instances...

I for one am avoiding working with booleans like the plague. Although (at least in max, the pro-booleans have been improved over the default behavior of normal booleans), i usually end up spending more time cleaning the mesh than doing it manually, that if i don't loose any part of the mesh in the process.

In the case of holes and alike on complicated shapes, in max i use a script that sets my view perpedicular on my cut-object,, for maya it is even simpler since you can project the shape you want on the surface you need. Then i cut the shape behind it.

In modo, you have quite a range of tools that should allow you to deal with this sort of things easier than booleans. Even for HP meshes, the topology needs to be as clean as possible in order to be able to subdivide properly, and that means no ngons.

Anyways, here you go, i skimmed through it, it explains that the cutting object needs to be lower in the list and as a separate mesh (guess the culprit in your tries) :

C6ntbFhEdYI

I'm thinking about a wall made of tiny rocks... I put many of them togehter and then I want a mesh with just the outside shape, not the whole thing... I understand your explanation but it seems to take a bit longer for these purposes and it does not assure good/clean results...

That can be done quite easily in a completly different manner, especially since modo got the tools for it (this is something i actually miss in max, and one of the reason i bought wrap_it, although it doesn't fill the same gap)

1m2VOI93g7Q

Just replace the child face with your stones mesh

PS: sorry synide :)

apropos not being able to wait: Is there a Symulus Modo 601 plugin appearing soon? (clap)

Oh, I've a 601 variant... it's still just the loader/saver, still no .rtm... I've included .html help files. So, it's a little more polished.

And, as it's a code re-write I may or may not have introduce bugs...

Probably the main thing to note is that by default pick-maps drive point/vertex selection. If you want weight-maps to drive point/vertex selection you have to add a locator to the mesh. See the help documentation under Help menu.

Installation:- It's probably a good idea to 'blow away' your modo601.cfg and let the application create a 'new' one... thus clearing out any 'old' p3d plugin info.

Most people have the 601 Content installed with their application. In the root folder of the Content is a new 'Kits' folder. Extract this .7z file into this folder and start modo. Done.

modo 601 p3d file i/o plugin 2.2 Mbytes

mirrored via kellys-heros.eu

Cheers, Sy.

Edited by Synide

Thank you continuing support of the plugin :)

Edited by Fox '09

Oh, I've a 601 variant... it's still just the loader/saver, still no .rtm... I've included .html help files. So, it's a little more polished.

And, as it's a code re-write I may or may not have introduce bugs...

Probably the main thing to note is that by default pick-maps drive point/vertex selection. If you want weight-maps to drive point/vertex selection you have to add a locator to the mesh. See the help documentation under Help menu.

Installation:- It's probably a good idea to 'blow away' your modo601.cfg and let the application create a 'new' one... thus clearing out any 'old' p3d plugin info.

Most people have the 601 Content installed with their application. In the root folder of the Content is a new 'Kits' folder. Extract this .7z file into this folder and start modo. Done.

modo 601 p3d file i/o plugin

Cheers, Sy.

Thanks for the support.

permanent mirror added here:

http://pufu.kellys-heroes.eu/sy_p3d_601_v2.1.7z