Sign in to follow this  
Sweeper

C5 or c17, anyone?

When you tell me a good reason for putting USSR and US troops in the same plane, I will agree that this is plane is a good addon to the game.

And as for the tank dropping thing.

The only tanks that you can do this with, fits inside the C-130 and smaller planes like that.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Scorpio @ May 06 2002,19:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KingBeast @ May 06 2002,19:21)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I think a C-160 Transall Would be a much nicer choise.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, but that's bigger thant the Hercules<span id='postcolor'>

Yes it is about 4 meters longer then the Herculse's

yada yada yada...dont argue! make one!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sadico @ May 06 2002,19:03)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I don't think the C-5 would be able to use any of the runways in the islands, and unless you have thought of a very good reason to transport hundreds of soldiers around, it wouldn't be very useful. The C-17 is STOL, so it could possibily land at Everon and Malden. I would like to see a new island with a big airport and a big city (population of a few thousands), or a portion of a REALY big city. Shouldn't be that hard, we already have a brand new island and whey didn't even have o2...<span id='postcolor'>

tounge.gif The problem is that it having a island populated by a few thousand people and with cities would require a 5ghz PC or something like that with a few gigs of RAM. It's simply not going to happen any with the current OFP engine. Try map making yourself and making such a populated island and you'll see what I mean.

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

well using them for supplies on the current runways would work but the AI wouldn't cooperate. in vietnam the C-130s would touch town briefly on the runways (not land) and push the supplies out the back and then get back into the air without stopping or turning or anything.

but if/when the island editor (whatever they call it) people can make some huge airbase where they fit in more.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> The problem is that it having a island populated by a few thousand people and with cities would require a 5ghz PC or something like that with a few gigs of RAM. It's simply not going to happen any with the current OFP engine. Try map making yourself and making such a populated island and you'll see what I mean.

<span id='postcolor'>

I don't want thousads of civilians around!! i want a huge semi destroyed city with lots of high buildings for sniping. As far as in know, when a city is gonna be invaded, most ppl flee. I want something like that scenario in Ghost Recon where you have to go to explore the crash site of a seahawk chopper and go to the embassy. Or the one in moscow.

i'd love huge cities if they would tweak the collision detection a little better

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yes i want to drop a lot... as well as supplies and, hold on now, Tanks and APC's... This sounds interesting for me... <span id='postcolor'>

C5 can only carry one Abrams at a time (due to its weight), and it cannot parachute it.

And how much stuff do you wanna drop ? Do you feel like you need America's largest jet Air Force cargo plane to drop units 5 kilometers away ? Hate to break this to you, but they have trucks/legs to go such a distance.

C-130 added as scenery would be fine with me, but player-controlled units like these have just no use.

Why don't you model a DHC-4 caribou, its a STOL aircraft carries a fair amount of men and its from the 1985 era and is still used by the Royal Australian Air Force

there have been plenty of missions where you start over the ocean in a chopper, it could easily be replaced by a C-130 which could be AI flown for a nice HALO drop

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (HellToupee @ May 07 2002,06:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the c130 is an amazing plane at the airshow it just slammed its arse on the runway stopped in a few secs with revers thrust and took off again without even using half the runway they rock.<span id='postcolor'>

i think you mean the c17, the c130 has props which cannot reverse thrust

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">C5 can only carry one Abrams at a time (due to its weight), and it cannot parachute it.

<span id='postcolor'>

lol, imagine a 60 ton abrams falling from 10 km!! Now that's a big ass crater!

The C-130 is the only one of those I can see in the game, and BTW, you couldn't do HALO jumps, because the parachutes open as soon as you leave the plane, so you could only do HAHO (High altitude, high openeing) jumps. HAHO jumps are largely replacing HALO jumps anyways.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Wadi @ May 07 2002,10:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The C-130 is the only one of those I can see in the game, and BTW, you couldn't do HALO jumps, because the parachutes open as soon as you leave the plane, so you could only do HAHO (High altitude, high openeing) jumps. HAHO jumps are largely replacing HALO jumps anyways.<span id='postcolor'>

true, but current HALO scripts you start high up in the air and your chute opens when you go down a bit. with a script it would be simple. lock the plane and have an action popup when you get the green light to jump. personally i would find HAHO boring and the islands are pretty small at points so half your squad would probably end up in the ocean if you did a HAHO.

HAHO would rock with a controlable parachute.

someone made on in march or april but the AI would probably not know what to do with it

I think it would rock, who cares if you take off fly for 1 min and drop, ya the military in real life wouldn't do it, but it would be fun. And controlable parachutes....mmmmmmm could do some nice black ops stuff too

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sweeper @ May 06 2002,18:50)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">After seeing the Hercules post it hit me... How about a C-5 Galaxy?? if thats too big for you i got the smaller C-17 Globemaster in the back hand.

Then we would have (made after size: 1 is huge 2 is medium and 3 is small)

1 C-5 Galaxy

2 C-17 Globemaster

3 C-130 Hercules

If we get the C-5 the paratrooper problem is solved for some time...  biggrin.gif

I'll continiue downloading the update for OPF so i can fly the C-130 or any of theese in the future.<span id='postcolor'>

What Next? A Space Station?

Man the C-5 Galaxy is is... Is...

HUGE!

If we had 200x300km2 maps like in IL-2 then it would be Ok

and the Maps of Enemy Engaged very big, i dont know the size of it, but i got a few C-17 Globemaster III flying around

I would accept any aircraft if the islands would be bigger

sad.gif I think it can't be done, you can't make huge islands. Pity, i would love a 600x600 km map  biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">someone made on in march or april but the AI would probably not know what to do with it <span id='postcolor'>

U mean a controlable parachute?? wow.gif Can u provide a link, please?

no, check ofp.info or go back many pages biggrin.gif i never downloaded it so i don't have any links

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Miles @ May 07 2002,18:59)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">i think you mean the c17, the c130 has props which cannot reverse thrust<span id='postcolor'>

the c-130 does have reverse thrust capabilities. How it does this is that its engines always run at 100% and they change the pitch of the props to get diffrent amounts of thrust, and they are able to move the blades enough to push them in the opposite direction. Ive flown on C-130's i have talked with mechanics and pilots, saw the blue angles C-130 reverse down the runway at an airshow. and besides this website says the props reverse. http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/c-130.htm

I biggest airplane i would ever want to see in OFP is the C-130 and thats just becasue i have a thing for em. otherwise any other airplane is useless. the only good aircraft in OFP are the choppers, we need more of those.

I dont know how long the runways in OFP are but C17 globemaster can take off from a airfield 914 meters long and 27.4meters wide, which isnt that big

Also made a record where it made a take off and landing with 44000 pounds of cargo on a runway 430meters long so maybe there is room for it in OFP. smile.gif

DVD-32-06.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KTottE @ May 07 2002,12:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">When you tell me a good reason for putting USSR and US troops in the same plane<span id='postcolor'>

64 groups full group = 12 men

64x12=768

so at 64 groups max per side : 768 units on each side

why would we need to put troops from two nations in the same plane ?

i have a Real Picture of a C-17 Taking off from an aircraft carrier and they even Landed it

And it even stoped on It with no hard times i even have been aboard a C-17 C-5 C-130 Etc

Erm mate, that pic is a fake in case noone told you biggrin.gif

C-17-carrier.jpg

Fake

c-17to.jpg

The original

Nice you have been aboard those planes biggrin.gif