Sign in to follow this  
stupidwhitekid75

Probably a stupid question

I've been playing the franchise for years, started with OFP and now I'm at OA...however up until recently I've been getting into the game a lot more, working on missions and what not. My biggest challenge so far (probably something not even too hard), is being able to get an AI pilot to insert AI troops at a certain area so they can move on foot to a waypoint, and then have the pilot fly away to another waypoint. I've searched around and used the ArmA Editing guide with no luck, and I've tried countless waypoint combinations in the Editor itself and the best I could do was get an AI team to board another AI vehicle..that was as far as I got. Temporarily I've simply been using the "GET OUT" waypoint command, however I would prefer that the pilot doesn't join the combat team on the ground and that the helicopter doesn't just sit there unattended. If anyone could help me figure this out I'd really appreciate it, it's been bugging me like crazy.

Name the chopper 'chopper1'

Place an H (Invisible) from empty tab and name it 'land1'

create a transport unload waypoint for the chopper

on act of the waypoint saying: chopper1 land "land1";

Make the waypoint last 10 seconds (or as long as you want)

Place whatever further waypoints you want for the chopper

Thanks, that works. I have two more questions now though. The first time I tried this, I started off with three AI already onboard the chopper. They didn't disembark, I assumed it had to do with the fact that they were already a part of that unit and therefore would not be considered a transport. So I had the helicopter start off not flying, and set a waypoint for the three AI soldiers to "GET IN". They did, and the helicopter flew them to the LZ, and they disembarked. I was pleased, but then I wanted to know how to make them move after being dropped off. I tried creating another waypoint after "GET IN", but this just caused them to ignore the waypoint order/helicopter and move to the second waypoint. Is there any way to make them move once they are dropped off to another location? And is there any way to place them onboard the chopper so that it doesn't have to land and wait for them to get in?

Put this in the init of whatever unit you want inside the chopper as cargo:

this moveincargo chopper1;

Then just place the unit waypoints and as the chopper lands they will disembark and move out.

I usually put it in each unit, but there is a way of just putting it in the Squad leader init, I was just too lazy to look it up :/.

Haha it's all good, I just started putting it in for each unit. Thanks a ton, really appreciate it. Now would an extraction work in a similar way?

No problem, and it would work similar, yes, but you would have to synch a waypoint to a trigger and such so it would come in at the right time.

Any tips on how to get the chopper to land with enemies around? I tried it out with two enemies on the ground, somewhat close by, and the chopper refused to land. I set the combat mode to 'careless' and it went down as if it were to land..but it stopped about halfway and just hovered a good 25/30m off the ground I'm guessing and stayed there.

I usually put this in the init of something I don't want the enemy to shoot at:

this setcaptive true;

We have a dedicated editing forum in which you could have posted this question.

And besides that:

§22) Use descriptive thread titles

If you start a new thread, please make sure your thread title explains what you want without forcing people to read through your post first. Thread titles such as "How in the world do I...", "Need help!" or "Will we ever see..." are anything but descriptive. We do not allow these kind of titles and threads with such titles are subject to be closed.