Sign in to follow this  
lennard

Textures visible in 3D workspace?

I remember seeing some people having their textures applied directly on the model in the workspace, so they don't constantly have to switch to bulldozer to view their textures.

How can this be achieved?

You mean, view the applied textures on the model, in O2 ?

Ummmm ...... no, I don't think thats possible.

Theres no in-window preview in O2.

Buldozer is the only pre-viewer I know of.

In fact it is possible but some requirements are necessary:

- O2 has to be in Direct3D mode (there is a button for it to enable)

- textures have to be either in .tga or uncompressed .paa/.pac format. TexView2 creates compressed textures so these wont show up. There is a PAAdecompresser somewhere around, can't find the link right now.

Also be aware that just textures are shown, no rvmats.

:EDITH:

direct3d.th.jpg

:EDITH 2:

Found the decompressor: http://dev-heaven.net/attachments/download/2481/PAADecompressor_v1.2.rar

@Gnat: i'm a little shocked you didn't knew that. ;)

Edited by [FRL]Myke

Thanks Myke, your my hero of the day, that's exactly what I meant.

Saves a lot of time with texturing and modeling :)

Lennard, as i use GIMP to work on my textures, i usually work with .tga files. On packing to pbo (or preview in Buldozer) they get converted to .paa automatically.

As a sidenote for using GIMP with .tga files: GIMP saves tga by default with RLE compression enabled which doesn't work for O2/TexView2. When selecting "save as.." GIMP gives the option to disable the compression. But if you load a tga and later just click on "Save", compression is enabled so you have to select "Save as..." and just overwrite the existing file so you'll get the option again. This isn't necessary if you didn't closed the file inbetween, once RLE is deactivated you can just save it.

Edited by [FRL]Myke

Myke;1774281']Lennard' date=' as i use GIMP to work on my textures, i usually work with .tga files. On packing to pbo (or preview in Buldozer) they get converted to .paa automatically.[/quote']

Yeah I know, I use PS and also save them as .tga in PS first prior to saving them to .paa with TexView or Bulldozer.

works for me. but i have my textures in .tga format. as soon as i convert them to .paa it doesn't work.

works for me. but i have my textures in .tga format. as soon as i convert them to .paa it doesn't work.

As already said, usually tga gets converted to compressed .paa which doesn't show up in O2. To have .paa textures shown you have to decompress them, check link in my first post.

hmmmm ... models mapped with TGA's ..... but 3D preview window doesnt change :(

and little "Show Textures" button is greyed out.

Did you enabled Direct3D mode? What graphic card do you have? Might be (attention! wild guess!) that it doesn't work with all GPU's.

Also enable "Show solid faces" button. Name of button is also guessed now but i hope you get what i mean. Look at my screenshot again, the buttons on the left of the Direct3D button.

Edited by [FRL]Myke