Sign in to follow this  
timothyweaver

Shooting paratroopers

I'm pretty sure your cannot shoot paratroopers while they are in the air.

If this is true, will BIS ever add this? It's quite frustrating to see paratroopers coming in and have no way to kill them until they hit the ground (which is often out of sight).

Yea I noticed this too. I once parachuted after getting shot down with a Shilka out of my A-10. There were some T-80s around and I could see the tracers and bullet whizzes around me as they were shooting at me while I was parachuting. Couldn't hit me though. Once I hit the ground they stopped.

In the mission in Red Hammer where the chinooks come in from the sea and paradrop some forces onto Saint Pierre, I targeted the parachutes for my AI, and they got a whole bunch of them. Problem is, I seem to remember seeing the chute sortof just fall faster and then they said "I got him" but I'm not 100% sure that was how it happened.. sad.gif I just remember thinking.. how come I can never do that biggrin.gif

Konyak

I wish you can shoot down paratroopers  biggrin.gif  taking shots at them of one by one with you sniper rifle.

I have tried that so many times, but never successfully. Is this a glitch or does it just take a lot of skill?

I once killed a paratrooper with either the heli's blades or by hitting him head on. Paratroopers are in no way invulnerable. It is also possible that you can destroy the parashoot by hitting it since the one that I hit crumbled and was billowing smoke.

You can hit them with sabot/heat shells. Kills 'em right quick. I had thought I just couldn't aim properly when they never died, go figure.

I don't think you can hit/kill paratroopers with small arms, but I think you can collide with them (in a helicopter/plane) and destroy their parachute...

Just as a side note, isn't it against the rules of the Geneva Convention to shoot paratroopers while they're in the air? Something about them not being able to defend themselves?

I swear I thought you can shoot paratroopers, with a MG it's easy, I remember doing it with the RH mission. Hmm...Must have been the strella that hit the chinook. But it's fun to take out the chinook pilots with a sniper rifle and watch them fall out the sky on to the guys below biggrin.gif

I know that when parachutes somehow collide in eachother they start smoking and crash into the ground. It happens quite often in my missions that when i make my squad eject from a chinook that half of those guys die.

Kinda annoying. But shooting parachutes is impossible. Even have seen 12 guys with machine-guns shooting all there ammo without effect sad.gif

I never knocked out parachutes with sabot or anything, i did knock out an a10 with a sabot smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif

Killing airborne troops as they are falling out of the sky is perfectly legal according to the Geneva Convention. The exception is if a pilot and/or other flight crew members are bailing out of an aircraft that is about to crash.  They are considered prisoners of war as long as they don't start shooting back. Paratroopers on the other hand are combatants and thus considered fair targets.

Right, that's the reason that countries use different coulored parachutes to distinguish between aircraft crews and airborne troops

in multiplayer games you can definetly kill parachutes, it's so hard though you're better off saving your ammo for when he lands on the ground.

the only time i did it i had a shilka and was shooting at a chopper that was dropping people off at the flags. all the fighters had jumped since i had waited till the chopper was relatively slow before firing, at this point a prachute aligned perfectly between us. i saw the chute go down in the corner of my eye but thought little of it since the chopper was more important. at the end of the round in the statistics it clearly marked one of my kills as being a parachute.

i think luck is the only way you will kill them, unless there's a group of 30 dropping at the same time, then you HAVE to hit one.

I don't need a gun to take paratroopers out. 3 times I wasn't attached to my chute(somehow???). AI also has the problem of a 50/50 chance of having their chute connected to them. It was hilarious at first. Then it got annoying. Then I got pissed off. I mean WTF is going on. The chute deploys but it rips right off. Sux huh?

The only way to get a para and it doesn't work 100% of the time is to fly into them.

You can shoot till you turn blue in the face and never hit one.

As far as multiplayer is.

AFAIK you cannot shoot (and hit) paratroopers in OFP, but you can hit them with aircraft, or kill them with explosive wepons if they are near enough to the explosion (like shooting a chopper with a shilka as troops are jumping out. If the explosive round hits near enough to the parachutist he will take damage).

Shooting at them with rifles and MGs is just useless...

On a similar note, is it possible to hit choppers or planes with indirect fire weapons...i.e. hitting a chopper with a grenade launcher round or mortar while in mid-air?

Yeah, its definetly possible, I got bored once playing a map so I just mortared my friend's low flying chopper, its also possible to hit A10s with LAWs and such, very difficult though.