Sign in to follow this  
icebreakr

Consolemasters ruin another title (F1 2010)?

The same can be said of the fact that Codemasters and their dealings are so popular to discuss here - But I guess fanboyism is cool, as long as you're on the right side :)

To be honest, I find quite natural, that Codemasters "dealings" are popular here.

There's an history after all. I don't understand why people dismiss that. Unfortunately to deny history seems to be common nowadays.

I've liked the Dizzy, the Colin Mcrae and the TOCA series. In my opinion they stop producing/publishing quality games, only trash. I'm a fanboy of quality, support and honesty. If to be on the "right side" means that, than sure, I like to be on the right side. I guess you find this.. awkward, don't you?

No, just someone that you can fool all the time. Ripped off once, and begging for seconds.

Click if you love to hear about Pulverizer! (answering silly personal attacks etc):

For the record (once again), I wasn't all that dissappointed by DR. Definitely not ripped-off. I didn't order it before seeing in-game videos, so I had a pretty good idea what to expect before purchase. Sure it sucked that it didn't have proper modding support and dedicated servers, and played and looked like a console game and so forth. But it also had some cool stuff like flashlights, thermal imaging and laser pointers, and ran at a rock-solid 60 fps without any CTDs or game breaking bugs. All in all, it was a decent outdoors shooter akin to the old Delta Force and Ghost Recon games me thinks.

After that, I've bought one CM game, Dirt2 for 15 euros, and think it's good value for money actually. Except for GFWL, the horrible 3D menus, lack of custom race options, and having to unlock crap and hear stupid game "characters" talking, it's quite fun. Especially multiplayer with friends.

I was thinking about getting F1 2010 on Steam holiday sales or whenever it's closer to 20 euros (not gonna pay 45euros for a F1 game, lol). But after seeing reports about fake AI and all sorts of bugs, I'm waiting until/if those things get addressed.

Oh I do, and I am not saying threads like these tick all the boxes - Far from it, perhaps. There's just a very irrational need on these forums to cling on to Codemasters and their failures. Rehashing the same arguments over and over. I too was pissed that they drudged the OFP name through the dust, but when threads related to Codemasters continue to be popular, in one instance, more popular than a whole lot of other threads... Well, eh - As said, it's awkward, at least to me.

Yea, I think some people visit these forums just to post in the CM bashing threads... you guys need to just get over it. We all know they fail hard, so stop giving them the attention they don't deserve.

Pulverizer, twice in that post you say things that would easily, in that combination you encountered them, would turn most people off the game, but not you. Are you sadistic or something? :confused:

I wasn't all that dissappointed by DR. Definitely not ripped-off.
Sure it sucked that it didn't have proper modding support and dedicated servers, and played and looked like a console game and so forth.
I've bought one CM game, Dirt2 for 15 euros, and think it's good value for money actually.
Except for GFWL, the horrible 3D menus, lack of custom race options, and having to unlock crap and hear stupid game "characters" talking

It's like you don't feel ripped off when recognizing you're being ripped off... What?

Er... what? I see a fuck ton of things to criticize in Arma2:OA as well and don't feel ripped-off. I don't demand perfection from video games because I've yet to see a perfect video game.

I see a fuck ton of things to criticize in Arma2:OA as well and don't feel ripped-off.

You keep bringing BIS' games into this but you don't seem to grasp the fact that BIS fixes them, Codemasters don't. Or does that not matter to you whatsoever?

BIS has a tendency to release things half-cooked so of course they also have to release patches for a longer time. DR works fine, Dirt2 works fine... they don't require patching as far as I'm concerned.

You call cars that rocket off of rocks, AI that can't shoot you without wasting 3 magazines, and a helicopter's rotors that just disappear after 3 shots, a game that "works fine"? Hell, what about the fact the latest patch can melt graphics cards?

BIS had similar issues with their games, but they've long since been fixed. They're still there in DR and they aren't being fixed.

I refuse to argue with someone who sees there are no issues in BIS games. Just go take a look at the fucking bug tracker :rolleyes:

Just because a game has issues does not mean you can't get your moneys worth of entertainment from it.

As if anyone would still be playing DR by the time a patch came out to fix all that anyway :p

BIS has a tendency to release things half-cooked so of course they also have to release patches for a longer time. DR works fine, Dirt2 works fine... they don't require patching as far as I'm concerned.

Now you're comparing Dirt 2 to ArmA 2?

The scope of ArmA 2 is what necessitates patches. It's so open ended and non linear that half the things that need fixing aren't even discovered until after launch. It has been this way since the early days of OFP.

ArmA 2 is by no means perfect but comparing it to a generic arcade racing game just proves that you have absolutely no objectivity whatsoever.

Edited by BangTail

I'm a Retro Gamer subscriber, and read that interview a couple of months ago.

It's a pity that Crammond for now is not thinking in doing another F1 racing sim/game.

I refuse to argue with someone who sees there are no issues in BIS games. Just go take a look at the fucking bug tracker :rolleyes:

Are you implying that CM's games are immune?

No. Don't take things out of context.

I didn't.

You drew a direct comparison.

When have I ever said there aren't issues? I hate how convoys still don't work, I hate how rocks can sometimes kill you, and I hate how difficult it can sometimes be to make an AI not use his RPG on infantry. The game has issues, but as I've said before, and I'll say it again -

They. Get. Fixed.

Eventually...

Codemasters do not fix their games, and that is one of the many places I take issue with them and their ethics. Got it, yet?

When have I ever said there aren't issues?

Today, 3:20 PM?

BIS had similar issues with their games, but they've long since been fixed.

:D

Did I say they all get fixed? I said similar issues to vehicles bouncing off rocks, AI not being able to hit anything, or helicopters, or even armored vehicles, dying from simple gunshots.

To be honest, I find quite natural, that Codemasters "dealings" are popular here.

There's an history after all. I don't understand why people dismiss that. Unfortunately to deny history seems to be common nowadays.

I've liked the Dizzy, the Colin Mcrae and the TOCA series. In my opinion they stop producing/publishing quality games, only trash. I'm a fanboy of quality, support and honesty. If to be on the "right side" means that, than sure, I like to be on the right side. I guess you find this.. awkward, don't you?

I haven't dismissed the history between BIS and Codemasters... I just think it's time to move on - That doesn't mean that I expect people to start buying Codemasters games or praising them on this forum... It just means I had thought we'd be over rehashing the fact that they made a travesty of the OFP name and that they cheat people, that their forums are full of twelve year old kids and so on and so forth.

You're the one who claimed that "defending Codemasters" on this forum felt "awkward" or "perverse" - I simply stated that I find bashing Codemasters habitually similarly awkward, or really, unbecoming of this mostly mature community. I understand that people do not appreciate the business practices Codemeasters have come to embody or the games they produce, but why the need to constantly bring it up? There are two gargantuan 4000 post threads dedicated to more or less immature comments on a game, and a company that none of us appreciate. This I find awkward, and indeed unbecoming of the community, at least as I see it.

But look at me, here I am, pouring gasoline on the embers of a thread similar to those I wince at.

Edited by GoOB

A combination of the desecration of a brand name with a large hardcore fanbase behind it, and disgusting business practices, will always cause large amounts of anger, especially if they have the audacity to make a sequel worse in almost every possible way (even in pre-alpha form), and then repeat the same "mistakes" with a completely different brand.

For me I look at it that even if this happens to be the most "popular" thread about the game (or games), then at least people will hopefully be encouraged to not stand for stunts that Codemasters and other developers/publishers are perfectly content on perpetrating nowadays. It's the only way the game industry will start improving rather than deteriorating; by showing them we don't want to be charged $40 for these mass-produced, shiny, play-and-forget write-offs.

I haven't dismissed the history between BIS and Codemasters... I just think it's time to move on

I think that the community as a whole didn't even stop by it. But everytime that the name Codemasters come out, there will be bashing. That's only natural, when Codemasters persistently still cheat on people (not just the AI).

There exist now two threads, only because they announced an FPDR sequel and they launched the F1 2010. It's just coincidence. Otherwise you wouldn't have one.

You're the one who claimed that "defending Codemasters" on this forum felt "awkward" or "perverse"

I said consistently defend, not just defend. If it was just a mere defense, I wouldn't call awkward or perverse. Maybe both are too stronger words, and for that I apologize to Pulverizer.

No offense taken. I am awkward and extremely perverse :o

Eheheh.

Sometimes we just let carry away ourselves behind a keyboard and a monitor and don't measure correctly the words we write. That's not usual with me. Sorry m8.

But please stop defending that console publisher.;)

A combination of the desecration of a brand name with a large hardcore fanbase behind it, and disgusting business practices, will always cause large amounts of anger, especially if they have the audacity to make a sequel worse in almost every possible way (even in pre-alpha form), and then repeat the same "mistakes" with a completely different brand.

For me I look at it that even if this happens to be the most "popular" thread about the game (or games), then at least people will hopefully be encouraged to not stand for stunts that Codemasters and other developers/publishers are perfectly content on perpetrating nowadays. It's the only way the game industry will start improving rather than deteriorating; by showing them we don't want to be charged $40 for these mass-produced, shiny, play-and-forget write-offs.

You know what did after the CM and BI split? I bought Arma and enjoyed it. Who cares what CM does with their own property (OFP name). The fact that DR isn't a game for me has zero impact in my enjoyment of BI's games.

Now with f1 2010, who cares if it's made by CM. I look at how it plays and campares to it's contemporaries. I don't see any glaring flaws outside of difficulties all racing sims share. People complain about their design decision about AI qualifying times, well as pointed out it's contemporaries have the same issues with consistent AI timing when accerating or skipping sessions.

As for on track AI from what I've seen it's competent. It knows I'm there and doesn't crash into me for stupid reasons. It races well.

Really what I have seen is a real lack in consistent objective criticism of the title. It is emotionally driven for the most part.