Sign in to follow this  
Ruskiesrule

Enfield

I have been a aviation enthousiast now for many years and have gotten the opportunity to meet many ppl serving with the US Airforce because many of my dads pals are fighterpilots. The impresion i got from those meetings are this: Most US Airforce personel learned where the Netherlands are when they went inbound to leeuwarden airbase and saw on their Flip that there is a border between Germany and The Netherlands so The Netherlands isnt a german province after all. Now dont get me wrong i dont see this as odd. The Netherlands is a rather insignificant country. Second most of the pilots ive met (including navy pilots) tend to enjoy the same things as dutch pilots (beer mainly because US navy doesnt allow alcohol on carriers, not say it isnt there though) except that allot of US airmen and support personel tend to over do on the weed during off days .... oh well let them enjoy the "fruits" of the host country smile.gif . Third they are nice ppl. The british i have met on journeys to various airshows in britain have allmost all been nice, polite and helpfull ppl. It a shame so many of british have some gripe against Americans and vica versa. Mb some ex colonie thing going on there. Neither of the two is better and like it or not the US Airforce (and navy/marines) get the job done just as well if not better then the royal airforce. They just get there in different ways.

Black Hawk Down will be the first film to 100% accurately depict fire-fights and bullet-damage. Why? because it is a true story of something that happened in 1993, so most of the guys are still alive and helped with the film as advisors.

Directed by Ridley Scott (yaaaaaaaaay!!!!)

Produced by Jerry Bruckheimer (nooooooooo!!!)

wink.gif

i think it will be a intresting movie, but i doubt it will be sensational, or even 100% accurate....the filmclip i saw of it seemed to be pretty much standard hollywood action.

im yet to see a good neutral nonpatriotic realistic and historically accurate war movie from hollywood....if black hawk down is that it will suprise me.

that it happened in real life doesnt mean that hollywood wont add some extra bs in it wink.gif

a example of a good war movie would be das boot and stalingrad...in my opinion....and my own favourite winterwar.

it might be good too tho...but in that case it would be a suprise to me, hollywood is far better in making pure action movies than warmovies smile.gif

uhhr, Bravo-2-0 was a true story from the gulf war and had Andy McNab the bloke who led Bravo-2-0 IRL as an advisor.

And it didn't have that crappy producer.

And it starred Sean Bean.

So its less likely to be flag-waving hollywood stuff.

Now I just need the really sh*t video rental store to get a copy in.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Black Hawk Down on 1:13 am on Jan. 1, 2002

Black Hawk Down will be the first film to 100% accurately depict fire-fights and bullet-damage. Why? because it is a true story of something that happened in 1993, so most of the guys are still alive and helped with the film as advisors.

Directed by Ridley Scott (yaaaaaaaaay!!!!)

Produced by Jerry Bruckheimer (nooooooooo!!!)

wink.gif

<span id='postcolor'>

The only way they can do '100% accurately depict fire-fights and bullet-damage' is to have 100% real guns and shoot at the actors...no I could be wrong...but I don't think they did that.

I bet they will make the storyline more glittery so it doesnt shock too many ppl.

It wont be 100% accurate, its impossible to remake something exactly how it happened.

I prefer BoB and SPR as well as my favorite; B20

Andy Mcnab was offered more money than the BBC by holywood but refused because he knew it would not be accurate

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from madmike on 8:00 pm on Dec. 30, 2001

One thing I never understand is why they show flames when granades go off. what should be seen is a cloud of shrapnel and dust.  

<span id='postcolor'>

It tends to be a small explosion of about 1 to 2 meters wide, TheShrapnel can go upto 200 meters in the air (The very small parts!)

And bloody heck, i've been away for a wile and f**k. Can you all stop fighting, i only got started on the first page, and i can' be arsed now and can't remember what was said!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Pete on 8:51 am on Jan. 1, 2002

a example of a good war movie would be das boot and stalingrad...in my opinion....and my own favourite winterwar.

<span id='postcolor'>

Was that made by Germans, its in German and the Germans made them'selfs look like right bastards!

Was funny.

Some officer "You've got crab on your eye brow"

(Another sceane)

Young man walks into medics room, looks at the medic who is (I think) playing cards, he man drops his pants. Everyone laughs and the medic says

"HAHAHAHA, you've got crab all over it! hahahaha!!!"

Das Boot and Stalingrad are the most gritty and realistic war movies so far, no question....

Oh, and Bravo Two Zero:

I know Chris Ryan (anyone heard of him?smile.gif ) and he reckons that Andy McNab developed this grudge against him after the war, because Chris got away and he didn't. His book and the film based on the book is an INACCURATE depiction of what happened because it is from his biased viewpoint, and, since he didn't get away, I'm more inclined to believe Chris' version of events.

Now all of the above is just my opinion, your welcome to hail it as "the best" "most realistic" etc but frankly, I couldn't give a toss, my dear.

Black Hawk Down is based on a book by Mark Bowden, I book I have read and think it is the best book description of a b@lls-out firefight I have ever read.

If the film-makers stick to the book, its a classic in the making...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from Ruskiesrule on 2:27 am on Jan. 2, 2002

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Quote: from madmike on 8:00 pm on Dec. 30, 2001

One thing I never understand is why they show flames when granades go off. what should be seen is a cloud of shrapnel and dust.  

<span id='postcolor'>

It tends to be a small explosion of about 1 to 2 meters wide, TheShrapnel can go upto 200 meters in the air (The very small parts!)

<span id='postcolor'>

the explosion is more like a nano-second flash, its really small (50-60 cm diameter?) and after the first tenth of a second you see only smoke, nothing like hollywood.

same goes for 155 mm arty and 120 mm mortars, its just a small flash, nothing more.

i was watching when we shot some 400 grenades in 2 minutes to a 100x100 area in the army, after the first few initial detonations all you see is smoke, all you hear is detonations...no fireballs, nothing hollywood'ish about it.

if the schrapnel of a handgrenade hits me after 200 meters it will hurt no more than a raindrop, the kill radius of handgrenades is not much at all.

and you dont see the schrapnell, you might see dirt fly around (not from a handgrenade detonation, but from arty or mortar rounds).

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Black Hawk Down @ Jan. 02 2002,01:43)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Das Boot and Stalingrad are the most gritty and realistic war movies so far, no question....

Oh, and Bravo Two Zero:

I know Chris Ryan (anyone heard of him?smile.gif ) and he reckons that Andy McNab developed this grudge against him after the war, because Chris got away and he didn't. His book and the film based on the book is an INACCURATE depiction of what happened because it is from his biased viewpoint, and, since he didn't get away, I'm more inclined to believe Chris' version of events.

Now all of the above is just my opinion, your welcome to hail it as "the best" "most realistic" etc but frankly, I couldn't give a toss, my dear.<p>Black Hawk Down is based on a book by Mark Bowden, I book I have read and think it is the best book description of a b@lls-out firefight I have ever read.

If the film-makers stick to the book, its a classic in the making...<span id='postcolor'>

I would be inclined to believe Andy Mcnabs version as he was with most of the patrol where as Chris was out alone heading for the border. It doesn't matter which way you look at it they are all a testiment to the attributes needed to make an SAS Trooper.

Black Hawk Down the film has to have everybody getting blown to bits...........'cos that's what happened!! It was a complete cock up by the Yanks.............and unfortunately one of many.

The new SA-80 is set to be the one of the worlds best rifles with the new modifications completed and being implemented slowly, the M16 had many more faults than the SA-80 has had or will ever have.

Wasnt there a film made .........well over 6 years ago that was about B20 but was from chris Ryans side.

I think it was on ITV before the BBC had made their version, althogh it is better.

One of the actors looked like Eric Cantona (spelling) but thats all I can remember..........soooo long ago and I havent seen it since

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Goldeneye @ Jan. 06 2002,01:37)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">wouldnt be "The one that got away" would it?<span id='postcolor'>

It would indeed.

not a bad film got when b2o came out as a two in one deal at smiths

one of my fav films is "the heroes" not a very wel known film but it portrays a real ww2 covert/secrite mission

that along with a bridge too far

RusskiesRule is funny, he wants people to think that he is in the Royal Marines; although i know a few times when he's said Army.

BACK TO TOPIC:

BACK TO TOPIC:

BACK TO TOPIC:

I'm considering to retexture the Steyr and make a SA-80 for all you Brits. There's a few things I'd have to know first, apart from what I have already read around the net.

Does the British army still use bayonets? Or did the do so in the 80's?

Adding a bayonet function to the rifle would be sweet - AND possible.

What is the rate of fire on the SA-80?

I have read that it's very precise, has a hefty 4x4 scope, but is kinda bulky to wave about (10 pounds).

Cheers.

The SA80 can have a bayonet but they are only used for stuff like trench clearing.

I dont know what the rate of fire is.

Not all versions have the Susat sight fitted.

Only infantry get to use them although when they do exercises in Jungles they have stanard iron sights sad.gif because of the close range and lack of light

Have you tried the offical army website for the rate of fire?confused.gif

Why has it got to be all about 1985? There are mods flying about that aren't set in 1985 so why does it have to be restricted so? There should be a poll to see how many want to see the very nice SA-80, which is now quite reliable ( or so I'm told), added in.

quick OT history rant:</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Robert the Bruce lived in the 15th-16th Centuries, as 1st king of scotland following his victory in the 8th battle of Bannockburn. However, shortly after his death, the monarchy of Scotland dissolved, as before, into squabbling tribes.<p>When the Brits came again in 1678, nobody had the will, or indeed the way, to stop them.<p>And bloody good they didn't!!!!!<span id='postcolor'>

erm.. if by that you mean he lived in the 1200s and 1300s, you are right..

1st king of Scotland LMAO.. That would be Kenneth McAlpin, sometime in the 800s.  "When they came in 1678 no one stopped them".. again, wtf are you on about?  By then Scotland and England had long since been ruled by one monarch, the first being James VI of Scotland/James I of England who died in 1625.

I'll assume it was a joke and I just fell for it, thinking you were serious :D

____

now back to the regularly scheduled topic