Sign in to follow this  
Mac66

What about a Virtual server to run ArmA2 / OA dedi?

Hi all, I'm here to ask your opinion...

I'm considering to rent a Virtual server to run the dedi server of ArmA2/OA.

The configuration of the server is Intel i7, 8GB RAM granted and 400GB of space on HD; connex 100mbit/s.

My doubt is if a virtual server can host without lag or to low fps arma2/oa with a good amount of players...

Any suggestions/experiences about this?

And a new question...how much bandwidth is request for a good amount (64) of players?

Thx for your help.

Mac

The performance of the virtual server is never simular to a dediced one. I tried one out myself to test it for about 1month to see if the performance would hold as "enough".

There is only 1 piece of hardware for X amount of virtual servers. So depending on the X your performance goes up or down. If the host over loads the hardware it simple performs like shit. Mianly on IO. One day it performs great and the next day it doesnt because your neighbour is unpakcing a 2,5 terrabyte file just for kicks. Making IO go horrible. So reliable performance is mainly the issue here. But that is i gues visible in the price.

Thx a lot for your very quick and interesting answer.:)

Is the same trouble I was thinking about...

There are some virtualization systems that truely make two fully virtual systems on the same box with very little performance drops.

So it all comes down to the price now in your decision.

The performance of the virtual server is never simular to a dediced one. I tried one out myself to test it for about 1month to see if the performance would hold as "enough".

There is only 1 piece of hardware for X amount of virtual servers. So depending on the X your performance goes up or down. If the host over loads the hardware it simple performs like shit. Mianly on IO. One day it performs great and the next day it doesnt because your neighbour is unpakcing a 2,5 terrabyte file just for kicks. Making IO go horrible. So reliable performance is mainly the issue here. But that is i gues visible in the price.

Hi Mac66

Within VMWare ESX/ESXi you can have dedicated resorces so that your server will always have Y processor threads and Z ram so that you dont have to suffer from your neighbour's issues.

The disk IO can be a problem with virtual machines though this can also be solved by again making sure when buying space that you have a dedicated datastore on a disk raid just for your server.

Getting any server hosted is about asking the right questions (especially with VM) and any reputable VM hosting company will not share resorces with your neighbour but will use what is available to them more efficiently.

When a hosting company sets there infrastructure up badly then what spirit6 said is true (though I disagre compleatly with the comment that it is "never simular to a dediced one"" there are some out there that know what they are doing ;-)

At SuicdSquad we run two dedicated servers and nether of them use all the resorces available to them as the game engine just does not utalise it, it would be easy (though unnecessary) to double the running servers on the hardware we have with no ill effects.

Slim - SuicdSquad.co.uk

Check out www.NFOservers.com

I have a virtual from them for $139.99/Mo:

* 4 core Xeon @ 2.66ghz

* 4096 MB of RAM

* 400 GB of hard drive space

* 2000 GB of InterNAP bandwidth transfer

I have a virtual server from nfoservers, but I'm having a problem. Since there is no display drivers with a virtual dedicated server, you can't run arma 2 and arma 2 oa, which doesn't allow them to finish installing necessary addons.