Sign in to follow this  
H.A.W.K

New CPU, still same framerate

I cant see it being HD problems may not help but not just HD?.

He must have some thing running in background?.

Oh and not saying OP is silly but please be care full in that ATI tool thing don't go OCing yo GPU and kill it hahahaha.

EDIT

83mb/s what should he be getting on average SATA drives? I may try HD tune on my pc :)

Holy crap I have just ran HDtune all so

HD=WDC WD120JD-00GBB0

MAX=54.2

MIN=12.8

AVE=37.7

That bad?

Edited by stk2008

good 7200rpm hdds should get about 120mb/s ->avg(!)

less than 14ms access time

and a burst rate way beyond 100mb/s

my hdd(samsung f3 500gb, only for games)

max:141mb/s(new it was about 155mb/s)

min: 71mb/s

avg: 116mb/s(very old modell sadly)

i can play arma 2 warfare chernarus/takistan with about 40-60fps(singleplayer style)

phenom 2 x4@3,8ghz

hd5850(980/1200mhz)

6gb ram

all at max and 3d resolution on 150%

lg

Edited by xXxatrush1987

hmmm so, I see i got to take new HDD...hope it will be because of it cause ill have to kill myself if not

OK I have two of the drives in my pc other all so says

MAX=23.7

MIN=56

AVE=44

So near same as each other I to may get new drives then :)

Hey guys, i can confirm this problem.:( i have the exact same problem he does. I can prove that its not his HD.

My Old Specs:

ATI 4870 Palit dual sonic edition (512M)

Intel Core 2 Duo E6700 2.66ghz OC to 3.10

Antec 650 watt blue PSU

Maxtor 7200RPM 250GB

4GB DDR2 667mhz OC to 800mhz

MSI 975X platinum motherboard

Old spec graphic settings:

Textures: normal

Video memory: normal

anisoptric: normal

shadows: high

AA: disabled

terrain: normal

objects: normal

PP: high

View Distance: 2000m

Benchmark 01: 30-32 FPS and 34-35 when i'm lucky

turning the shadows to normal gave me 38FPS in benchmark

then i decided to build a new pc because my friend had a phenom II x4 and he tried the opeation arrowhead demo and managed to get high 40's on very high gfx settings. He had some nvidia card but it was worse card than mine (we both confirmed that)

So then i built this rig:

MSI 970GX-G65 (AM3 + Am2) mobo

2x1GB Gigabytes G-Skill DDR3 memory 1333mhz

Same Card (Palit 4870 512M)

AMD phenom II x4 945 3ghz (my first quad core)

Same PSU (650 watt)

New HD same as H.A.W.K (Samsung Spinpoint F3 500GB real fast)

I had some serious problems with this build. Not performance wise but my temps were off the charts, and my voltages were fucked up, after weeks of searching for the culprit i found it was my motherboard was faulty sending in excess voltage to my cpu.

But when i did manage to boot those few times (even with high temps) i booted up my fav game of course on the new spinpoint and new windows 7 install THE GAME WAS SIMPLY AMAZING!!! i got 45fps in OA benchmark silky smooth frames in a bunch of missions AND THIS WAS UNDERCLOCKED (cuz if i went over 2.8ghz it wouldn't boot)

eventually the high temps fried my new 150$ cpu, luckily newegg sent me a new one after an RMA.

So i also bought a new motherboard ASRock 785GXH. Nothing else changed except for the motherboard.

I boot into windows, run arma 2 benchmark, and my avg fps was in the low 30's just like my old previous build :mad: i couldn't believe it. Arma 2 ran smooth on an unstable overheating build but not on a stable build :/

OC made no difference, doing a fresh windows install made no difference. Shortcut commands dont seem to make a difference.

Yes all my 4 of CPU cores are under load. temps are in the 45-50C under load stock cooler. I never run programs in the background, except for fraps for fps check. I also used game booster to no avail and arma 2 does not exceed the more than 600-800MB range while playing missions. And it just couldn't be my 2 gigs of ram since it ran fine with the unstable build. I always defrag, in fact i just defragged again and no change.

The only thing i've noticed is running arma 2 regular gives me much smoother frame rates, benchmark goes to the late 30's low 40's i even managed to push 42 FPS once in a benchmark.

But with arrowhead its a different story. I'm just wondering, what has changed in my pc for it to be acting this way, it should be running it at 45fps like it did with my unstable build.

Lastly i've noticed something hugely different with arrowhead. Arrowhead runs smooth right, then out of nowhere DROP in fps. it goes from like 30's-40's in the hike in the hills mission and then DROPs randomly to like 8-15FPs for a few seconds. I've noticed this usually occurs with the loading of lods. Arma 2 vanilla however doesn't do that.

And at one point i even thought something broke. Its as if the game "breaks itself" i play for more than 30 seconds (i know poorly described). Like i start to play the campaign (razor two mission) it goes from 30-40FPS when in the venom on the way to meet the commander and then i hear my parts inside my pc almost seem to slowly power down and fps drops to the 20-30 range. As if something broke. the only way to fix it is to reboot my pc.. this only occurs in arrowhead CO not arma 2

Arma 2 Patch 1.07

OA 1.54

It's such a mystery, its almost as if someone doesn't want me to enjoy this game :j:

EDIT: forgot to say that both the unstable and stable versions of my new rig i changed the textures to High and dind't gain or lose any fps and it was clocked at 45FPS with the unstable underclocked build but 32-38FPS with the stable build. nothing else changed.

Edited by Marc15yo

Hi you all so mention you use Fraps could it be with some combo of hardware you are getting these problems as OP all so uses Fraps.

hmm, okay, i'll download the ati-tray tools (i used to have it but it always seemed to match frame rates exacty the same as fraps when i ran them together)

gonna come back with the results

Okay, i can confirm its not FRAPS. ATi tray tools displays exact same results, and visually OA CO is unbearable. Vanilla A2 is better by 3-4 fps. but still much lower than when my cpu was stable.

:confused:

EDIT:

just get a 80GB SSD is enough to power everything fast

Most of us are on a tight budget so we cant really spend that much cash on parts like this

Ok i just ran the benchmarks these where first runs not 2/3rds

BM=41

BM2=12 a little low? seems to be rather demanding scene

Spec

Q6700 stock speeds

ATI 4890 1gb

4gb ram

XP 32 bit (yes yes 4gb ram ott for 32bit OS :P)

HD was the one in last post WD120 or some thing

Asus striker extreme MB

Settings

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/9400/arma2setings.png

Edited by stk2008

It makes me wonder if its really HDD, cause i have no problem in empty world with just couple of soldiers...i dont really know, but HDD is used to stream textures no? As I know AI calculations are CPU dependant so there should be such a big use of HDD. BTW, I had no stuttering or texture popping up, just low FPS. (Vsync is always off in catalysts)

@ HAWK same, yeah texture/lod popping was all normal, just my fps is rly abnormally low. I'm gonna do some more benchmarking to make it official

Any one think my BM results are ok P.S I have just updated link to me settings as it was taking ages to load.

I have BAF waiting to install just don't want to till I get it running 100% as I don't want to waste an activation.

@ Hawk...I have a caviar green 1TB HDD, with no drop in performance or in fps, (at least none noticeable). And going by the rest of your rig, it certainly does not seem to a prob with your hardware - assuming you have installed everything correctly.

2 questions: When was the time you formatted? Or, when was the last time you defragged your HDD? Because, really agame like arma that needs to be constantly loading a lot of data as you play, retrieving that data from files scattered all across you hdd is not going to help matters. Most other games this would just mean longer load times as the "level" is loaded before hand.

A few moths ago, I had a very very slow frame rate on Arma2, much slower than usual - about -15 to -20fps. After a reformat things went back to normal. So before spending any cash on new hardware, Id try either reformatting, or if thats not possible, at least a defrag.

Another possibilty is some system resource hogging bit of malware, try opening up windows resource monitor, check the top cpu and memory users. If the process isnt recognisable, then google the name of the process. (To open resource manager, start task manager, click the performance tab, and you will see a button: Open Resource Manager). You may find something not right there such as a process that shouldnt be there, or one that you didnt know was running constantly.

Edited by Bascule42

Hi Bascule42 in fact I think it was you I was referring to in my last post on page one.

BTW what FPS u get in the benchmarks?.

Okay here are my official benchmark results and settings:

OA Combined Ops E08Benchmark - 45 FPS (:D very happy with this one)

OA Combined Ops Arma 2 benchmark 1 - 38 FPS (better than 33 lol)

Arma 2 Vanilla 1.07 benchmark 1 - 39 FPS (i had it at 43 earlier today :/ )

The difference between the vanilla and combined ops is actually HUGE. Not really in fps but mostly in the stutters. In vanilla the lowest fps is approximately 27-28, when running the same benchmark, same settings in OA Combined ops i get these 1-2 second stutters everytime something loads and its pain in the ass, and fps goes doen to 8-15 Fps then backup again. Everytime a lod or texture loads it goes down. This only occurs with OA.

Arma 2: 1.07

Operation Arrowhead Combined Ops: 1.54

I have caviar green 1TB HDD, with no drop in performance or in fps, (at least none noticeable). And going by the rest of your rig, it certainly does not seem to a prob with your hardware - assuming you have installed everything correctly.

2 questions: When was the time you formatted? Or, when was the last time you defragged your HDD? Because, really agame like arma that needs to be constantly loading a lot of data as you play, retrieving that data from files scattered all across you hdd is not going to help matters. Most other games this would just mean longer load times as the "level" is loaded before hand.

A few moths ago, I had a very very slow frame rate on Arma2, much slower than usual - about -15 to -20fps. After a reformat things went back to normal. So before spending any cash on new hardware, Id try either reformatting, or if thats not possible, at least a defrag.

Another possibilty is some system resource hogging bit of malware

for me I actually Defragged about an hour ago, using both defraggler and windows defrag tool. I've also heard of reformatting giving great results, but i JUST reformatted yesterday :/ when i installed a new copy of windows.

You know what, i have an interesting experiment i have another copy of windows 7 on my maxtor 250gig the one i used on my previous build, i'm gonna check out the performance in Arma 2 since arma 2 is already installed. If its the same then the problem is not with hard drives or formatting, if it's better than i guess its time to format or buy a new hard drive, (its gonna be costly lol)

@ stk2008

thats not bad, thats pretty much just what i have. Mine is 45 fps but my settings are different

View Distance 2000 m

AA disabled

Textures High

Video memory High

Objects high

PP high

Anisoptric high

Shadows high

Terrain normal

resolution: 1280x720

3d resolution: 1280x900 (125% to make up for the disabled AA)

well guys i think i might have figured it out. It might actually really be the hard drive/ os

running OA Combined Ops on my samsung spinpoint f3 i got 38-39 fps benchmark 1 with serious stutters. (sudden drop in fps from 30-40 range down to 8-15 range when loading objects)

running OA Combined Ops on my maxtor (old installation) i got 41 fps and no stutters :butbut:

This means its gotta be the install.. the funny thing is i JUST installed and formatted windows 7 yesterday. Since i've already settled in this new install i'm not going to format, i'm simply going to try to run arma 2 from my maxtor instead of my spinpoint.

So yeah, try formatting again. Its definetely hard drive-OS related.

I am happy you may have figured it out :).

BTW any one here running raid if so does it help at all as I have two HD`s the same and could setup a raid?.

My friend has 2 spinpoints in raid 0, same cpu, close to same asrock mobo (mine is a newer one) a worse card than mine (he has nvidia i have ati) but his performance is abnormally good.

So yes, two spinpoints in raid is got to be awesome. I'm getting 2 more spin points one 500 gig to combine with my current for raid 0 and another one 1TB that i will put in raid 1 for backup.

Ummm may raid 0 mine then I know raid 0 is data unsafe but its purely gaming machine so don't care.

If I go this route I will report back :)

Ah remembered to make a raid disk for win XP I will need a floppy drive um may get me win7 but then I may loose speed as the OS aint as good as win Xp I think.

Edited by stk2008

Hi Bascule42 in fact I think it was you I was referring to in my last post on page one.

BTW what FPS u get in the benchmarks?.

Nope, definitely refering to Hawks' OP and post #4. But...

When playing, I usually get the max framrate my monitor can support, (I suppose that means I could disable vertical sync), which is 75fps, dropping to around 45-55fps in built up areas. Of course a complicated mission with a lot of scripts running, the this will drop slighly according to the level of complexity of the mission. Having dePBO'ed the BAF senarios, I can tell you there a ton of scripts, so this drops my fps to about 55-60fps, dropping to 40(ish) in built up areas. (Dont ask me about Zaragabad).

Running CO: E08 Benchmark 44fps.

" " CO: Benchmark 1 40fps

" " CO: Benchmark 2 28fps (**See vid)

Settings

View distance: 2700

Texture: Very High

Video Memory:Very High

Ani Filtering: High

AA: Normal

Terrain: High

Objects: High

Shadow: High

PP:Low

Resolution: 1900x400 w/fill rate 2610x1350 (150%)

Rig:

Phenomx6 1055t @2.80Ghz (Stock)

4GB Ram

HD4780 1GB

Gigabyte GA-770T-USB3

1TB Western Digital Caviar Green HDD

Of course for a true comaprison, we would all have to run at the same settings.

**However in this video, during the battle in the second part of the vid, from 3.38 onwards, fraps was reporting 60-70fps, while recording full size onto a 2nd HDD. There was a low spike when I popped smoke. (W/mods WarFX and Tracers)

lZStChkgXZU

Edited by Bascule42
'cause I wanna!

@ Hawk...I have a caviar green 1TB HDD, with no drop in performance or in fps, (at least none noticeable). And going by the rest of your rig, it certainly does not seem to a prob with your hardware - assuming you have installed everything correctly.

Another possibilty is some system resource hogging bit of malware, try opening up windows resource monitor, check the top cpu and memory users. If the process isnt recognisable, then google the name of the process. (To open resource manager, start task manager, click the performance tab, and you will see a button: Open Resource Manager). You may find something not right there such as a process that shouldnt be there, or one that you didnt know was running constantly.

Hello, I formated about 2 weeks ago, installed Arma and OA with patches (right after i defragmented the partition only with Arma and OA on it)...Im using 3 partitions, one for video render, next for system, and the last and the biggest for games and music

And i had formatted whole HDD (each partition) before the fresh install Win (got windows 7 32 bit before, but the perf. was the same) + with the new CPU other games got FPS boost...for example CoH went from AVG 50 to AVG 100 with new CPU...so I really dont have idea where is the problem...

EDIT: So, im gonna try fresh install, hope it will perform better meh...

EDIT2: 56 AVG in CO Benchmark 08...lol now im completly out of sense why it sucks so much in some cases

Edited by H.A.W.K