Sign in to follow this  
USSoldier11B

Soldier of fortune

my dad just got out of the USAF last year as an 0-6 and made $7675.20/month and we lived on base so no housing cost or electricity and such

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Hilandor @ May 01 2002,08:34)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">when i was in the TA  we received about 40 pound a day i think  (only days we were active) plus a tax free bounty at the end of the year  usually amounting to around 1000 pound and it went up each year<span id='postcolor'>

wow.gif I was checking out the TA recently and remembering it said it was something like Å30 a day with no tax but ill need to go and check it out again for the exact firgures.

Alright, In Canada I make $37.49 (as a basic private) for a half-day's work.

A half day is 3 to 6 hours, a full day is 6 hours or more.

So....For a full days pay, I get $74.98 (CAN) per day. This does not include field pay, which is an aditional $15 per day when I am 10km or more away from my base.

If I went to the Regular Forces, I would get 15% more pay. So that's $86.23 per day as a basic private. Privates don't stay basic for long. A fully trained private (with stripe) earns about $86.00 per day in the Reserves.

If I went to the Reg force as a fully trained Private I would get: $98.90 per day.

$98.90 x 365 = $36,098.50 per year. ($23,147.52 U.S.)

A Reg force Sergeant makes $131.10 per day.

$131.10 x 365 = $47,851.50 per year. ($30,684.70 U.S.)

This does not include U.N. mission pay or extra field pay, so those are base figures. You could probably attach an extra $1000 or $2000 dolars per average year.

After 20 years service in the Reg force, we get a full pension. That's 40% of what you earned at your highest rank. An additional 2% is tagged on for every year you stay in.

A Reg force Captain makes about the same as a Sergeant.

So there you have it.

Tyler

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Moral of the story is: Military wages are crappy everywhere<span id='postcolor'>

Unless you live in Canada. biggrin.gif

$23000 a year still ain't much...last year I made $19000 working mostly part-time hours at Loblaws (grocery store). A friend of mine just quit the reserves after injuring his knee during an excercise, and the army refused to reimburse him.

Either way $23000-30000 is pretty low by Canadian standards, and i've read plenty of articles about sub-standard government housing for the members of our forces. The college program I'm in boasts an average starting salary of $40000.

Tovarish, your talking about American money dude.

Private: $98.90 x 365 = $36,098.50 (Canadian) yearly.

Sergeant: $131.10 x 365 = $47,851.50 (Canadian) yearly.

A Corporal would make about $40,000 per year.

Remember, these are base figures and do not include the extra pay someone would get if they spent time in the feild or on a tour.

I am aiming to get on the O.P.P. (Ontario Provincial Police) if I can, after 3 years I would be making $61,000 annualy. If I can't get in, there is always the Army.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">sub-standard government housing for the members of our forces<span id='postcolor'>

That's for people who don't want to spend any money. I hear that those were out west, the housing units I have seen are pretty nice. (heating, A/C, cable, ect)

Tyler

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Unless you live in Canada.<span id='postcolor'>

What? $30,000 U.S. dollars a year isn't that good here. You can live pretty comfortable on $40,000-50,000 a year if you are single or married with no kids. In the U.S. it is hard to make decent money unless you have a college degree or you own a business. I make about $25,000 a year, while my parents grossed about $550,000 (not a mistake) last year.

Canadian sergeants make as much as a Captain? Here a Captain makes alot more.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Assault (CAN) @ May 02 2002,04:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Tovarish, your talking about American money dude.<span id='postcolor'>

Ah, my bad then

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">What? $30,000 U.S. dollars a year isn't that good here.<span id='postcolor'>

Well, it is here. Depends on how you see things. My Dad makes about $35,000 a year, your average Canuck makes anywhere from $40,000 to $50,000 per year. Hell, teachers don't make much more than that. My mom made about $33,000 a year before she retired. What my parents made was enough for a 3 bedroom house, 2 cars, and enough to put me and my sister through college.

$75,000+ (Canadian) per year is considered well-off up here.

Maybe things are more expensive for you guys down in the States? who knows.....

Tyler

Is that in USD of Canadian? In the city that I'm in the average house costs about $150,000 USD. A one bedroom apartment runs aroun $500-800 USD a month. The average car costs about $15,000 USD. I spend about $50.00 a week on groceries. Full coverage insurance on my car is $150.00 a month. A fast food meal is usually around $6.00. A music CD costs about $15.00. Just to give you an idea.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USSoldier11B @ May 02 2002,06:15)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is that in USD of Canadian? A one bedroom apartment runs aroun $500-800 USD a month. The average car costs about $15,000 USD. I spend about $50.00 a week on groceries. Full coverage insurance on my car is $150.00 a month. A fast food meal is usually around $6.00. A music CD costs about $15.00. Just to give you an idea.<span id='postcolor'>

You really should use euros, much easier on everybody smile.gif

This is btw an interesting topic.. I'll start a new thread..

Euros = Monopoly money

C'mon U.S. dollar is the international monetary standard.

God I love living in a world superpower. tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USSoldier11B @ May 02 2002,06:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Euros = Monopoly money

C'mon U.S. dollar is the international monetary standard.<span id='postcolor'>

Not really. US dollars have never been any reference in Europe. Before Euro came it was Deutsch Marks and British Pounds. The dollar means to us as much as the Japanese Yen.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">God I love living in a world superpower. tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

That is exactly what Nikita Khrushchev also thought smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That is exactly what Nikita Khrushchev also thought <span id='postcolor'>

Yeah except he is dead and I'm alive. Besides, Russia's super power status was mostly a bluff. They were never as strong economically or militarily as we believed. U.S. dollar is still the international money standard. It is what everything else is compared to.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (USSoldier11B @ May 02 2002,07:12)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"></span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">That is exactly what Nikita Khrushchev also thought <span id='postcolor'>

Yeah except he is dead and I'm alive. Besides, Russia's super power status was mostly a bluff. They were never as strong economically or militarily as we believed.<span id='postcolor'>

They had more nukes then you tounge.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">U.S. dollar is still the international money standard. It is what everything else is compared to.<span id='postcolor'>

Just in the US. As I said, in Europe the dollar has never had any better status then any other currency. It is also not a popular currency since it is notoriously unstable compared to the European ones.

I think that black markets are a good indicator of that. In Kosovo, Bosnia & Russia DEM have always been the standard currency (€ now).

A universal currency would be ideal, but that I fear is a mission impossible. You still havn't converted to the metric system (the British too).

Gymbal, I just read that peice about "soldiers of fortune".

Is that a legal practice? I mean is it legal to sell your servises as a soldier?

That Neall Ellis guy in south Africa apparently has the British govt's approval.

Who is he working for?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">They had more nukes then you tounge.gif<span id='postcolor'>

Yes but they are low grade. Ours are more powerful. tounge.gif

Now they are just rusting and being sold to or stolen by terrorists. tounge.gif

Plus thier early warning defense satalllites having been falling out of orbit for years. They are completely blind on the West side for 8 hours a day.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Is that in USD or Canadian?<span id='postcolor'>

All of my figures are in Canadian Dollars unless otherwise stated. This includes the stuff below.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">the average house costs about $150,000 USD. A one bedroom apartment runs aroun $500-800 <span id='postcolor'>

You must live in a big city. A 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom bungalow will run about $120,000 where I am, I could rent a decent 2 bedroom apartment/house for about $800 bucks a month.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The average car costs about $15,000<span id='postcolor'>

What kind of car? A new Pontiac Sunfire will run for about $12,000-$14,000 with decent features.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">A music CD costs about $15.00<span id='postcolor'>

LOL, you pay too much, I can get the same CD for $15-$18 depending on where you shop. Our Dollar is worth about .63 cents U.S. right now, I remember when that used to be in the high 70s sad.gif , *Thankyou, Liberal party*. mad.gif

Our minimum wage here in Canada is about 2 dollars higher than that in the U.S.

Tyler

"Gymbal, I just read that peice about "soldiers of fortune".

Is that a legal practice? I mean is it legal to sell your servises as a soldier?"

I thought you said you read the article?

A United Nations convention bans the use of mercenaries, yet this crew has come to the rescue of embattled U.N. peacekeepers here on a number of occasions.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Longinius @ May 02 2002,08:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"Gymbal, I just read that peice about "soldiers of fortune".

Is that a legal practice?  I mean is it legal to sell your servises as a soldier?"

I thought you said you read the article?

A United Nations convention bans the use of mercenaries, yet this crew has come to the rescue of embattled U.N. peacekeepers here on a number of occasions.<span id='postcolor'>

yeah, ofcourse I read it. It says mercenaries are banned by the UN, I don't believe I've stated otherwise.

Regarding the rescue, I'm sure they'd accept to be rescued by anyone, regardless of weather their high command approves of them or not.

"yeah, ofcourse I read it. It says mercenaries are banned by the UN, I don't believe I've stated otherwise.

Regarding the rescue, I'm sure they'd accept to be rescued by anyone, regardless of weather their high command approves of them or not."

Ofcourse YOU read it, I was addressing Icefire, who was the one I quoted after all smile.gif

mercenaries banned?

as i understand it ,its not quite as simple or straightforward as that.

Mercenary forces such as London based -'Sandline'

can advertise their services and can be 'recruited' into other armies, operating on a particular mandate

And i seem to remember there was a big scandal in this country when they went to Sierra Leone, and kicked the rebels asses although there was an arms embargo on the country.

they have ways of legally getting round it.

ah i just noticed Gimbals article and made my post before reading it

a lesson in British real politik

nothing surprising there

im still pretty sure there are legal loopholes

A government practicing what they say, is as real as pink flying elephants.

And I'm sure both NATO and UN funds various shady businesses around the world, in benefit of the "bigger picture". i.e. if a gunlord is a major cause to illegal arms trade in a country under sanctions, why not choose to get rid of him by means of hired personnel?

I'm sure lots of shit like that happens, we just don't hear about it every day. A good _fictional_ example is "Clear and Present Danger"

... but this is way off-topic, even in off-topic smile.gif