Sign in to follow this  
dodo502b

Installation take to long time

Hi,

why does the installation of Arma II Operation Arrowhead take more than one hour !?

Is it because all of the different copy protection software from different games ?

Is it because the fight on stage Ring One in the Microsoft kernel ?

Or is it just a cheap developed installation program ?

Thank you for your answere.

By the way:

I have asked one of the major DVD Manufactor in Europa ( Sono Press ). They told me, they have no clue, why some installation program's take so long for installation. Are they right, or are they lying. I have ask them with my own software company located in germany and could talk to some CEO's at Sono Press.

( Sono Press changed his company name into Arvato Digital Services a devision of Bertelsmann )

Ummm because it is a large game with large amounts of data etc?.

Or because your DVD and hard drive is crap :P

Do you realy think it is that simple ?

For Example Starcraft 2 and Dragon Age : Origin install much faster. Its about less than 25min.

Please, give me a professional answere.

Must be something on your side, my OA took about 15 - 20 min to install.

Hi,

why does the installation of Arma II Operation Arrowhead take more than one hour !?

Is it because all of the different copy protection software from different games ?

Is it because the fight on stage Ring One in the Microsoft kernel ?

Or is it just a cheap developed installation program ?

Thank you for your answere.

By the way:

I have asked one of the major DVD Manufactor in Europa ( Sono Press ). They told me, they have no clue, why some installation program's take so long for installation. Are they right, or are they lying. I have ask them with my own software company located in germany and could talk to some CEO's at Sono Press.

( Sono Press changed his company name into Arvato Digital Services a devision of Bertelsmann )

In my professional opinion, it's because there's a lot of data to unpack and your hardware is about to die. Took about 10 minutes to install OA on this machine if that.

Im thinking hardware problems too. My DA:O installed in about 7 min. Arma 2 & OA slightly longer but only about 10-15 min.

What speed is your DVD drive, whats the transfer rates of your HDD & DVD drive. Is your hard drive fragmented? (That can cause installations to take much longer, if the setup needs to write to points scattered all over the hard drive-and will affect game performance). Are the cables secure? (Older SATA cables can be a bugger for coming loose). (Cant see it being a slow CPU, you wouldnt be playing arma if it was that slow).

My brother installed OA on his new Win 7 system in about 15 mins, it took me nearly 45 on my older XP. I put it down to having less RAM. As long as it installs and plays properly I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Thanks to all for you reply.

How many other games you have installed on your computer ? If your installation was very fast, probably you have only 1-3 other games installed on your computer.

But i buy 1-2 games per month and install them.

This was my basic question - are all the different copy protection program's slow down the DVD speed.

My Computer:

Windows Vista 32BIT

Intel Quad Core Q6600@3.0Ghz

EVGA 680i SLI Motherboard

2 x 8800 GTS 640MB

2 x 1 GB Geil Black Dragon DDR2 800Mhz 4 4 4 12 4CL

Mugen 2 Cooler

Sharkoon Rush Power 600W

2 x 500 GB Maxtor RAID 0

Is it because all of the different copy protection software from different games?

No. AFAIK, copy protection doesn't start to work until you start the game itself, after all you can copy the installation files over to the HDD and have no issues installing. There is, mostly, only the serial key check for installing.

Or is it just a cheap developed installation program?

Er...no, it works fine for the majority of people.

OK, you install 2-3 games a month? OK, uninstalled many lately? Or deleted large amounts of data? If yes...Defrag. But...

Now - onto Vista. I used to run Vista. One of biggest pains in the arse I had with that bastard of an OS, was when installing games. The DVD drive would simply stop responding for a long long time, then start to read again. So I had to copy the files to my HDD and install from there. Even then while copying the DVD contents over, the DVD drive would simply stop reading after a couple of minutes, so it took 3 or 4 goes before I had all the files copied for installation. This was on a hell of a lot of games. A possiblity?

Edited by Bascule42