Sign in to follow this  
Sid

Notice!

I seem to be getting a Virus on my computer.

This is the second time I had this virus, and I don't know how I got it.

McAfee Doesn't help, because it asks: Nimda located in C:\Operation Flashpoint\OPERATIONFLASHPOINT.exe, would you like to clean this file now?

I click "yes"

The file coudn't be clean, so it was deleted.

This seems to be happing to ONLY my games folder.

So far, it forced me to delete over 8 (Starcraft, dungeon Siege sim gold, Tony hawk 3, to name a few)

I don't know how to stop it, because as soon as I click "Ok" on the McAfee window, it pops up with another problem... it almost seems to be spreading through McAfee.

So, i shutdown my comp, and everything is alright.

Nothing seems to be damaged... I think how this virus works is it try to trick, somehoe, the virus protection into deleting your comp.

The way to stop this? just shutdown. I think, anyways....

When it tried to delete Hafl-Life, I put it into the recyclye bin (I deleted it myself) and the virus just skipped by it.

Any help would be appriaciated.

P.S. this IS NOT a joke.

Thanks guys.

I went to LastmanSS link.

It worked, but a what cost?

I looked at the details when the thing was done. The virus is gone. But it didn't clean anything, it just dleted the infected files.

I'm not sure how many of my games will work now.

But at leats its gone, thanks.

Hi

A sad tale and warning to us all.

Nimda and similar viruses infect emails and web sites run on IIS where the admin has not installed the correct security patches. There are other viruses that attack other web servers such as apache servers etc.

You most probably got it from an infected email. Which then infected you email program. The reason why you see it infecting games is those are the things you use most.

The virus once it has infected your machine via an email or web page will sit in the background on you machine and each time you start an exe file say a game or word or any other program it will infect those as well.

Nimda and simillar viruses also post them selves to people in your address book and dammage files by corrupting them.

You need to stop allowing executables to run from your email program and web browser. Set you email program security to restricted sites level or equivalent.

I have my browser set up so that I only run Active X if I aprove.

I am amazed how many times people run active x programs in their posts just so they can have a prety avatar.

In order for them to see their own avatar there security is set to zero. I have never seen their avatars. I dont let my browser run active x. Or any element of an executable nature unless I have aproved it.

Regards Walker

thanks for the info.

But I must have gotten it from playing on a server, for I hardly EVER use my e-Mail...

Thanks, I apprieciate that information. smile.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">thanks for the info.

But I must have gotten it from playing on a server, for I hardly EVER use my e-Mail...

Thanks, I apprieciate that information. <span id='postcolor'>

If you did not get it through your email then you got it through you browser. Possibly when you visited a website to start an online game. (maybe an infected non secure game website of the Counter Strike type I have heard they suffered from crackers; as the modding system for counter strike includes executable c++ programs)

Read what it says about preventing active x and executables from running in you browser on one of the anti virus or security pages in this thread.

The most sure way to remove a virus like this is to format your affected drives.

C:\

Most likely.

Just turning off the computer won't clear any virus's at all.

Thanks guys, and, erm, thanks placebo....

I have a question, why do you always "smile" after you move a topic? force a habit? or just so we don't hate you? lol.

Nah, I'm just pulln' yer tail biggrin.gif

Anyways,t hanks for the info, the virus is gone, and all my games (althoguh mising files) work almost perfectly.

So people don't get all paranoid that I'm irked at them for posting in the wrong place smile.gif

The times I don't end a sentence with a smiley are the times people should worry wink.gif

lol...

I got more problems....

ITS BACK!

Nimda.eml

ITS Bacl<!

I ran the programme agauin and it said it didn't detect ti.

I musta had 2 viruses in the first place... OH GOD HELP ME.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Unl33t @ April 29 2002,15:24)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">The most sure way to remove a virus like this is to format your affected drives.

C:\

Most likely.

Just turning off the computer won't clear any virus's at all.<span id='postcolor'>

That`s true! Formatting your HD is the best way to get rid of a virus, because you never know what files were infected. So better delete them all and start over again clean.

Even if it hurts!

Thanks guys. This time it's gone. I truned out I had TWO of 'em on my comp.

The other one was lurking around.. smile.gif

I got it, and everything is working fine, expept Half-Life... read more on my ppost in Off-Topic...

...I neeed some helop there, too.