Sign in to follow this  
digital_steve

ATI 5970 / Dual GPU usage issue in OA

Hey you crazy folk!

It seems that Arma 2: OA isn't using both of the cores on my 5970; i also notice that others are having issues with crossfire and are doing things like changing .exe names etc.

I'm wondering if this has been noted for the next patch? I'm a Steam user, so i doubt i can go around renaming and editing files to get stuff to work (if it even does, which looks a bit touch and go).

I'd love to get the most out of OA with a dual core GPU and quad core CPU.

Any help/feedback/advice and/or hugs appreciated.

... except the hugs... that'd be weird... right?

:D

Wouldn't you be better off talking to ATI? As far as I know ArmA is coded for DirectX without regard for specific hardware or drivers.

try -winxp in the "target" bar on your arma shortcut... but i dont know how to do that with steam games...

Edited by UncleKeith

Wouldn't you be better off talking to ATI? As far as I know ArmA is coded for DirectX without regard for specific hardware or drivers.

I dunno, would i?

I'm not a coder, or a computer expert or any of those other things... which is why i signed up here and asked a question specific to the game.

I'm having trouble with my steering in my commodore as well; i was thinking of taking it to Holden, but i might actually take it to the tyre company now you mention it.

I'm guessing you're not much of a mechanic either.

I'm guessing you're not much of a PR person either.

Unclekeith - no idea with doing that for steam, although it seems unlikely to change anything.

The usual renaming business doesn't do anything either.

Is it as simple as a crossfire profile is needed, or is it an OA bug?

Hey you crazy folk!

It seems that Arma 2: OA isn't using both of the cores on my 5970; i also notice that others are having issues with crossfire and are doing things like changing .exe names etc.

I'm wondering if this has been noted for the next patch? I'm a Steam user, so i doubt i can go around renaming and editing files to get stuff to work (if it even does, which looks a bit touch and go).

I'd love to get the most out of OA with a dual core GPU and quad core CPU.

Any help/feedback/advice and/or hugs appreciated.

... except the hugs... that'd be weird... right?

:D

CF and CFX(quad) only works with arma2.exe, not arma2oa.exe. Rename your arma2oa.exe to arma2.exe.( may have to rename your actual arma2.exe to arma2b.exe )

---------- Post added at 07:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 AM ----------

Maybethis helps:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=1690677&highlight=steam+crossfire#post1690677

I also had to use Rivatools to overclock the other core. It was using idle clocks even while gaming.

No probs anymore!

10.6 and 10.7 drivers break 3Dspeeds on your second( or 3rd and 4th cores) core. This is with 4870X2s.

I thought thatd been fixed with a ATI driver update ages ago or has things changed or never was :(

I get 45fps avg with a 5970.. :rolleyes: got 42fps with the old 4870x2 and id guess the 5870 gets the same as the 5970 so you might be right or do you know this for sure, ta.

i7 920 @3.6

6gig @1443

i get 45fps avg with a 5670HD, Anthlon 250 @3.3GHz, and 4GB RAM (Stock clocks)

No idea why Crossfire isnt workings though I thought It was fixed...

i get 45fps avg with a 5670HD, Anthlon 250 @3.3GHz, and 4GB RAM (Stock clocks)

No idea why Crossfire isnt workings though I thought It was fixed...

CF is working, and the speed bug has made it back for 4870X2s.Use 10.5

All drivers since 10.4 completely break Arma2 performance for me. Also I've got to rename Arma2OA.exe to Arma2.exe to get crossfire at all in Arrowhead as Ati have no profile for it yet. At moment I'm running 10.4 with the latest profiles and both Arma2 and OA are running smoothly.

To properly uninstall the driver the correct way;

Download the driver and have it on Your desktop. Install driver sweeper (might as well save Your desktop icon positions with it), uninstall the driver in Add/remove programs in control panel, reboot and as booting to Windows keep clicking f8 to select save mode. In safe mode run driver sweeper to remove all traces, then reboot to normal windows and install the driver needing a further reboot.

Driver here

Yeah... renaming and doing the alias thing did nothing for me.

Obviously it's not a game coding bug (i'm assuming), so it is solely an ATI issue. Hopefully they bloody well fix it!

Yeah... renaming and doing the alias thing did nothing for me.

Obviously it's not a game coding bug (i'm assuming), so it is solely an ATI issue. Hopefully they bloody well fix it!

If you cant get CF working with the rename to arma2.exe then your doing something wrong. Crossfire is working fine with arma2.exe, you may have to rename the Original arma2.exe to arma2b.exe so as not to confuse the driver profile, also do you have CAT AI on? do you even have the CCC installed?

Got all that, it never worked with the Steam version.

Regardless, it seems the new ATI Catalyst 10.8 drivers have addressed the issue; check the site and the release notes say that OA is now working with crossfire.

Woohoo! Will try tonight!

Did not work for me...i did not try the driver (very bad reviews on amd forum) just the 10.8 profiles...got 30fps using arma2oa shortcut where was lock on 60fps solid using renamed shortcut to arma2! and 10.3 profiles and 10.4 ati driver.