Sign in to follow this  
JCDBionicman

Differences between Arma 2 and Operation Arrowhead

I'd like to know all the features, from large to small, that are present in Operation Arrowhead.

Of course there are new vehicles weapons and maps and the engine has been updated to run more efficiently, but I'm more interested in actual new features rather than expansions to existing ones.

So there is IRS and thermal imaging for scopes, flashlights, and more optics. I heard you can now view the insides of tanks and apcs rather than just look through their optics, is this true?

Also my biggest problem with Arma is it's interface problems. Just one example would be how when setting a deadzone for aiming, when you press the spacebar and aim this effect occurs without the actual reticule moving about the screen creating instead an awkward and pointless delay. That's actuall more of a bug, but you get the idea.

Anyways, list known changes from Arma 2 1.11 to OA and I'll list them in the OP.

Thank you.

Features discovered so far:

Backpacks

FLIR

Rangefinders

Improved high-command

Better cover system for AI (incl. visualization for commander to be able to select cover positions for subordinates)

The ability to switch viewpoint between CQB sights/optics on a gun

Zeroing

Unmanned choppers

IEDs

Engineer units that are able to disable said IEDs (and mines) plus do minor fixes on damaged vehicles

Helicopters now have per-component damage model instead of HP

Little improvements to chopper flight model

Shotgun shrapnel simulation

More bugfixes and better netcode

Visual stuff like transparency antialiasing and shader antialiasing algorithms SMAA and FXAA

Content:

Two big maps with most (85%+) buildings being fully explorable and destructible

US army, Pakistan-inspired OPFOR + ArmA2 version of Taliban, some ACR and KSK units, UN peacekeepers

Campaign + some missions

Mods:

The ability to use newest (versions of) popular mods that are using new scripting commands which are constantly being added in new patches.

Edited by JCDBionicman

I bought Operation Arrowhead (“OAâ€) some 18 months before I got Arma 11 (“A2â€)

I have decided not to merge the 2 games. I play both regularly. As a result the differences are vivid to me.

When controlling an aircraft /vehicle, there is information on your screen about that aircraft/vehicle. In OA the information display is a whole lot better.

When a soldier is carrying a weapon, the status of the weapon/ammo is shown in the top right corner. The OA display is superior to the A2 display.

When commanding troops, the voice acting in OA is much improved.

OA has an artillery computer. It works with mortars, artillery and any rocket launching vehicles. It is used by the operator of the weapon to fire accurately. A2 does not have this. The operator fires blind.

In OA, if you are commander, and a mortar, artillery or any rocket launching vehicles are under your command, you can order the gunner to “fire at a piece of ground on the map†even if you cannot see any enemy troops. A2 does not have that. You cannot order the A2 gunner to fire at any target at all.

In OA, certain soldiers carry backpacks. In action, these backpacks can be opened and contents added /removed. It means you can carry more ammo/grenades/satchels or whatever.

If you are commanding men, you might split them into Team Red, Team Blue etc. In OA the methodology for selecting the men for each team is improved.

In OA if you wish to “Select Team Red†to give the team an order, again the key strokes are improved.

Features:

Backpacks

FLIR

Rangefinders

Improved high-command

Better cover system for AI (incl. visualization for commander to be able to select cover positions for subordinates)

The ability to switch viewpoint between CQB sights/optics on a gun

Zeroing

Unmanned choppers

IEDs

Engineer units that are able to disable said IEDs (and mines) plus do minor fixes on damaged vehicles

Helicopters now have per-component damage model instead of HP

Little improvements to chopper flight model

Shotgun shrapnel simulation

More bugfixes and better netcode

Visual stuff like transparency antialiasing and shader antialiasing algorithms SMAA and FXAA

Content:

Two big maps with most (85%+) buildings being fully explorable and destructible

US army, Pakistan-inspired OPFOR + ArmA2 version of Taliban, some ACR and KSK units, UN peacekeepers

Campaign + some missions

Mods:

The ability to use newest (versions of) popular mods that are using new scripting commands which are constantly being added in new patches.

All for 20 bucks

Edited by metalcraze

The more features the better. Why not merge?

I am an EMU ("Experienced Microsoft User"). I expect the attempt would cause more problems than it is worth. Its just a game!

I am an EMU ("Experienced Microsoft User"). I expect the attempt would cause more problems than it is worth. Its just a game!

When merged into Combined Ops, it's basically OA with Arma 2 assets added in. You get no engine downgrades and you actually get better compatibility with missions, addons and multiplayer. You can even still play plain Arma 2 if you find that OA's changes break the missions.

Features:

snip

Thanks.

If you could elaborate more about the specific features you mention that would also help.

Edited by JCDBionicman