Sign in to follow this  
MintyBoy

Rpg-7 by kegetys (modified)

Quite a while ago now, I DL'ed a modified version of the RPG-7 (from Kegetys Russian Weapons pack). I think it was from ofp.gamezone.cz or opflashpoint.org, but I could be wrong. It was modified by Tanelorn to have new sounds, extra ammo types, etc.

Anyways, this new addon was incompatible with the older one (missions made with the older one wouldn't start: missing classes, etc). So I finally got round to fixing the .cpp myself, making it backwards-compatible with the original addon.

What say the masses- Do you want the .cpp, or should I try and upload it to ofp.info (or wherever), or am i just a complete heretic for daring to mod a mod of Kegetys'?

Please dont spread around mods that change the original version without changing the classnames to make it a new addon. Its going to cause alot of trouble when people have different versions of a weapon with the same classname in a multiplayer game, in a worst scenario it will crash the server and all clients.

I allways liked Tanelorm's version(Sorry Kegetys) and the compatibility problem was a pain in the rear.

But what Kegetys say is true, so you may have to think on releasing a brand new addon, if you get enough permissions biggrin_o.gif

Fair enough, Kegetys. I'll just keep it for personal use then. biggrin_o.gif

I'll have it, for personal use aswell. I'm building a new configuration for a retextured mod for my personal use, and I would love to have it aswell.

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeee. biggrin_o.gif

You can find Tanelorn's original modded file at opflashpoint.org (I looked it up). As Kegetys has said he does not approve (and I can't really blame him..), I will not be releasing my (semi) corrected version.

The only reason I made my modification was to correct the errors that Tanelorn introduced by not changing all the classnames in the .cpp.

A little advice to addon-makers: If you are going to modify someone's addon, change ALL the classnames in the .cpp to avoid messes just like this one.

edit: Oh- and make sure you get permissions and give oodles of credit to the original authors as well! biggrin_o.gif

Umm... can't you just change the class names?rock.gif Do that and change the texture paths and you'd have a new addon no? Seems easy enough or am I being nieve?

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

Miles Teg- Sure, I could do that, but that would defeat the object: to make Tanelorn's version backwards-compatible with missions made with Kegety's original file (it just breaks them atm).

However, if there's enough people that want it, I can do that no problem. You'll just have to edit any missions you've created using Tanelorn's or Kegety's version to use the new classnames.

What do you say, peeps? Do you want Keg's fantastic-looking RPG-7 with Tanelorn's new ammo, sounds and optics? Bear in mind that this addon wouldn't affect any missions that use either of those 2 addons, and to use it you'd have to make new missions or edit old ones...

Your choice guys...

Different scope view (very intuitive when getting the range of armour). Different impact sounds. A choice of two different warheads (tandem-charge (AP) and frag), with different flight-characteristics for each (frag is lighter, so has a shallower arc of flight). New firing sound (a sharp "Pop!" noise). All-in-all, very good work based on Kegetys' original model. Marred only by Tanelorn not changing the classnames.

Pop over to opflashpoint.org, download it and have a look for yourself (just make sure you backup Keg's RPG7.pbo, as it overwrites it..).

Personally I think you should release it just to give mission makers more choice in the different types of RPG-7's to choose from. Also, the original RPG-7 had I think to high of a kill radius and sent enemy troops flying all over the place. The RPG-7 AT warheads should have a smaller kill radius as they use a shaped charge warhead that usually only causes fatalities to enemy soldiers in the immediate vicinity (such as inside a vehicle hit or standing very close to an explosion). The HE anti-personel version on the other hand, should have less dammage but a larger kill radius. It's been awhile since I messed with such .cpp settings, but I believe that's possible. Correct me if I'm mistaken. Anyhoo... I think that while Kegetys's RPG-7 is for sure a standard, there are still a few little areas here and there that can be improved as long as it's cool with Kegetys and of coarse he receives proper credits for his work.

So I say go for it!

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>

You can have a look to it in this page, and you can download it in there aswell.

That's the version fron Tanelorm, with the same cass names and all that stuff.

I would like to have the one from Minty Boy as a completly new addon, without problems, and I don't mind changing the missions for that.

I suport you Minty Boy, go ahead if Kegetys and Tanelorm are ok about it.

By the way, the warheads are the best ones I seen so far.

Right. Done it. All classnames have been changed with my brand-shiny-new ofpec tag, MTB (just got it today biggrin_o.gif ).

<s>I have, however encountered one problem. There's two types of ammo. Display name and short display names for each are "PG-7" and "OG-7". However, on the Hud, they still show up as "RPG-7" (the launcher's display name)  crazy_o.gif .</s>

<s>Any ideas how I could fix this before I release it?</s>

Edit: Don't worry about it. Fixed.

Right then. Now all I need's a host. smile_o.gif

Right. just had a little hunch, and it turns out I was right: When I remove the KEGrpg7.pbo from my addons directory, all the textures are gone. I'm presuming this is because the .p3d files are still trying to find "/KEGrpg7/texturename.paa" instead of "/MTB_rpg7/texturename.paa".

Can anyone recommend a good, relatively simple (and free) hex-editor?

I've got the bit in my teeth now, and I want to get this thing working properly.

Et Voila!. Finished. No longer requires KEGrpg7. Tested for compatibility-type stuff and works like a charm with no conflicts/requirements now.

So the question is, who wants it (or is willing to host it)?

Zip size: 1.5 meg.

Why don't you open a new topic in finished addons? you'll get a host in five minutes.

I agree... make a new post back in the new addons  (complete) section and someone should jump up to host it.  

Chris G.

aka-Miles Teg<GD>