Sign in to follow this  
darkxess

SP & Coop : Operation Al-Fajr

dfx_opaf.jpg

Operation Al-Fajr

(Fallujah - MP & SP Also Including BAF Version)

By DarkXess

Description:

Operation Al-Fajr was created with IED and urban warfare in mind! aswell as important team work and

communication with your team to complete the mission, and all that is hopefully what I have created.

Features:

- SR5 Tactical IED detection and Ordnance Disposal script, by Reezo

- Ultra Simple Patrol Script v1.4 by JW Custom

- *Scripts >> Ambient warfare, Advanced AI Medic, AI Flare, HousePatrol, Norrins Revive.

- Suicide Bombers.

- Car Bomb and IED Ambushes.

- 4 Objectives: take out the AA, and destroy the Ammo Dump.

- All this and more...

Installation:

Extract the .pbo file(s) to your ArmA 2 Operation Arrowhead\Missions folder for singleplayer.

Extract the .pbo file(s) to your ArmA 2 Operation Arrowhead\MPMissions folder for multiplayer/coop.

Requirements:

- Fallujah.

Known bugs:

- None as of yet. (please report bugs to me if you find any)

Credits:

- Reezo, JW Custom, Norrin, Demonized, Kremator, SpectreRSG, Anyone else ive forgot (you know who you are).

- And a big thank you to BIS for an awesome game!

Notes:

- *Includes a ReadMe with info and copyrights.

Armaholic Links:

SPMissions -/- MPMissions. (both including BAF & Rangers optionals)

Edited by DarkXess

Glad to be able to help mate ! Playing it now .... very good atmosphere (both in ambient combat sounds & Reezo's IED scripts) .. ALWAYS something to keep you on your toes !

Glad to be able to help mate ! Playing it now .... very good atmosphere (both in ambient combat sounds & Reezo's IED scripts) .. ALWAYS something to keep you on your toes !

Do let me know about the ambient bomber working etc... also any other bugs you find would be of help.

And any ideas on how to improve it would be great also!

Thanks again Kremator :)

hey

I gave this one a try in sp (baf and non baf version), and unfortunately i must say its unplayable. 22 fps even when looking into the sky!

When i open ur mission in the editor i see the reason for that: 80 groups 11 units each + vehicle groups :eek: > total overkill imho (even with the 33% present chance on each unit) and not surprising that the engine can not handle it. I have no idea what impact the other scripts have fps wise, might be worth it checking it out.

May i ask on what nasa rig u r running that mission? (and where i can get that thing without being rich as bill gates :D)

Also i have no tasks or notes and the mission starts right away without a briefing screen. Briefing screen is very important, at least to remove the pistols from my AI mates, so that they dont get stuck in the middle of the mission; and its easier to equip them in briefing(if possible and intended that way) than at a crate ingame.

No offense or bashing from my side though, i just wanted to report, so that u can improve ur mission if u want to.

To impfove fps u might think about DAC zones to cover that big area with AI patrols (i know its more complicated than UPS, i havent touched it myself yet tbh). U might also set some static AIs at keypoints > saves fps compared to moving AI.

When i tried to build missions like that(lots of AI) i also used UPS alot and had the same result > low fps. So i gave up building big scenarios like this one. Doing it with the tools provided by the default editor might be better than using scripts, BUT its alot more work, thats why i gave up on that :)

Afaik the more MOVING AI u have - the lower the fps, the same amount AI NOT moving should result in far more fps. So using triggers, that check if the player is present and than let the patrols in the area start moving, might be a solution (hm finally i might try that for myself on a big mission like this one - if i do i let u know :))

Edited by RunForrest

LoL well written post I may say, and of course ill not take it as an offence.

Constructive critisism always works! :) thank you. Anyway, im using an AMD x4 955 (3.2ghz) and 6g RAM & Nvidia GTX 460 so you must have a really low end computer if its lagging that bad!

I am not sure its to do with the mission itself, ive recently ported a perfect working Domination2 mission to this map (fallujah) and it was lagging like hell! so im thinking its the map itself, not sure though.

I am willing to change things to make it more the less killer on fps! but with only your feedback so far on low fps lets just say give it some time, hehe.

I could also try that new script which is around somewhere, where it spawns the enemy once you hit a trigger! it would save them always constantly patrolling!

As for the handgun, that seems like a bug* I had that problem too while playing through the mission today, so ill look into that.

The mission itself is on its first release 0.1beta! so give it time to get better, sure it will get there :)

Anyone can give feedback on the IED scripts? did you get anything unusual happen? suicide bomber? ambush? etc... ? cause ive used the FULL extent of the script by Reezo

so feedback on that would be good. Another thing, would anyone say there are too many groups of patrolling AI? if so then ill remove some on next release.

Thanks for the feedback. :)

Edited by DarkXess

My specs should be in my signature now

If i place myself in the editor in the middle of the town with viewdistance 2000m i have 37-44 fps, when i look straight in the sky 74 fps

So running fallujah shouldnt be any problem for me

I did a few more testing

I connected on a self hosted game, that was running ur mission,

my fps improved a bit(26fps even when looking into the sky) compared to singelplayer (22fps). 4 fps for the calculation of the AI saved? hmm very strange, so the cause must be somewhere else. They other 2 guys that played with me also said they have poor performance.

When i go into editor and create 60 of ur used takistani groups(also 33% present chance) and all run around with waypoints, i get 28-31 fps looking around normaly, looking into the sky 44fps

So the fps are almost cut into half by the calculation of 60 groups running around, and there were no other scripts running, no figthing etc...

So for me its quite logic if theres alot of action + additional scripts, that there will be a huge fps drop.

Can anyone tell how this is running on a dedicated server? If the fps drop is from the AI calculation it should run fine on the clients

Concerning the pistol bug: not ur fault, its a bug in the arma engine, u cant do anything about it, just drop the pistols from the AI.

btw the atmosphere in the mission is great, i really think about rebuilding something similar with DAC. There was a mission for sakagah in arma1, where a squad had to get out of the town before sunrise(one of the best missions ive ever played since ofp), already had DAC in it, but the guys who build it were to lazy till now to build a new version of it :)

Hi there DarkXess,

Well I uploaded this onto my dedi and played it. I do see what RunForrest was saying in the the dedi was running at 11FPS constantly through the mission.

Everything was going well (I was playing by myself and just AI to help) until I got hit and the AI refused to revive me :( No potential revivers is the message when I called for help.

Will test some more.

@RunForrest .. Can I ask, why do you have Vsnyc Off? lol turn it on! its important for alot of fine running etc of the game.

And sakagah ... I could always do a remake? hehe.

@Kremator .. Ive also noticed that, ill sort it on the next release. Also about the Fps ill drop a few AI and some Objects, but im not sure at the moment in

to what is causing it, it could be a certain script! still looking in to it.

Keep the feedback coming guys! thanks again.

*Just a suggestion, I could try UPSMON script instead of the USPS? this could be one thing that is making it lag! though like I said, im still not sure just yet.

Vsync eats fps like crazy, in general my fps are around 35, in bad situations (still to often) lower than 30, and vsync would increase the amount of lower-than-30fps situations. i still cant play near/in towns on takistan(i already wrote about that in troubleshooting forums (http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=112394)

a script that works with UPS and might help reducing AI numbers: (just found that, i need to look into that asap,sounds interesting)

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6540

or/and:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6543

or/and:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6542

thats what i was searching for:

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=10102

btw on your website you have links of interest, u might add Wolffy.au`s (http://creobellum.org/)to the list, he has has very good example mission and tests concerning waypoints, performance and stuff....

OffTopic

@RunForrest

V-Sync limits your fps to your monitors refresh rate (often 59-60Hz) to remove vertical lines in the graphics while moving the camera at increased speeds... I'm getting 120+fps on takistan but I still use V-sync to remove those slight cracks in the graphics, I recommend you at least try it... your card can more then handle it, your RAM not so much... turn your video memory to default too... as very high doesn't utilize all of your gpu's memory, default does ;) also maybe lower your resolution to 1440x900

@Dark

Still haven't tried it... let me know when your next available so we can test it with RR...

As RunForrest says though.... I recommend you use DAC, very good script, spawns AI etc in zones you select... afaik there are no hits on fps while using it... dont even really have to place many AI, unless you have important zones like protecting a cache etc

Used it while playing with SixthSense; AI is very smart and will vacate there current zone to help there comrades under fire in another zone (if you link them)

Edited by VIPER[CWW]

Offtopic

@Viper

i know what vsync is :) check out the link to troubleshooting thread, i wrote a bit about my arma performance/LOD switching problems

1440x900 is a NOGO, i have to use the native resolution of my screen, else i might also go back playing on a 17inch screen :)

also default videomemory doesnt work - i wrote about that too - is even confirmed by moderators, that it causes problems

i also think that my pc could handle more than arma is showing me, but im fed up with testing stuff - i tried alot since arma2 came out - main problems remain

Them links you gave me are UPS not USPS (by JW Custom) hehe... no worries im willing

to try them, ill set up a version using the UPS and DAC and let you guys tell me what you think is the best. Thanks also for the link of Creo Bellum, added to my site :)

Viper, yeah sure mate... could do laters, as your probs asleep now (my time) lol

Some feedback.

1. No tasks given in mission apart from the map marker, seems kinda lost for me on what to do next.

2. When playing in SP, AI will no move once they are shot (supposedly killed). Revive will not revive them. (maybe better just remove norrin revive script on SP version). Would be great if you are able to include AI first aid support from DAP. :)

try using UPSMON to spawn AIs instead of pre-placing them for FPS improvement, this mission is killing my rig :)

great ambient on this mission.

Edited by Muahaha

Its 6am now, only working a halfday today so we could do play it @around 12pm my time, 7pm your time.... let me know on msn, as I rarely check here...

a friend was so kind to build a quick DAC template for me, that can be used in ur mission, already tested and works. improved fps alot, however i still ahve fps drops later in the mission at certain places in certain viewdirections but i need to test more what it is (the map itself,arma,certain objects, or just my damn ati card)

ill pm u with dl link

edit

oh and btw, theres 2 nice addons for very good atmosphere on fallujah:

Sandy Skies from Relliki

Sgt Elias Soundmod 2(Environment Sounds for Isla Duala - eliassound2_c_environ_isladuala.pbo and eliassound2_s_environ_isladuala.pbo)

Edited by RunForrest

Just played the original version with dark just now, and I can not report any lag issues with it, I'm putting it down to your pc not being able to handle it... Even with 468 ping I had 0 lag issues ;) though saying that it was not played on a dedi but hosted by dark himself.

^^Yep, good mission... though we died only the 2 of us with having only 1 objective left! Could always add more objectives and a bigger zone of AI ..

*But with using DAC as they would spawn in parts rather than the whole map! im working on the beta2 version and have it up soon. Also some fixes.

Any bugs/issues you guys found, please post them...

Thanks

Oh, and feedback on the whole IED scripting please! me and Viper just played it and had IED's sometimes, but no "Ambient Proximity IEDs" or "Ambient Bombers" as of yet!

AFAIK the reezo's script works on random chance, so it could be ambient bombers or placed ied's etc.... I found the mission to be good and has a lot of immersion to it, with the ambient sounds, flares coming down, and random wrecks set on fire with the dark smoke plume.... (could be related to some peoples lag issues, though not for me).

1 objective left with over 50 was it? insurgents neutralized, playing the mission without nightvison and a weapon that has a torch is **recommended by me, as it adds to the immersion.

Only thing I can cripe against is the weapons available in the box being somewhat over the top... TWS, Sniper Rifles etc, this mission should first and foremost be a played as close-combat, using ironsight, CQC and Holo. Add to the fact perhaps giving the players more bandages... less revives.

Saying that though you know what bugs we came across.... till the next time. :)

Updated to v0.3

Added a new version which requires the Davey Gary Rangers.

Made some other fixes, plus added a new ai patrol zone (3rd now) and updated some of the

scripts. Removed the advance ai script for now (it was wip and needs some attenstion).

In the mission pack, there is versions US, BAF, and now RG (rangers). Only the RG version

requires the Davey Gary Rangers units! also it still requires Fallujah.

Included as always is a readme, .version, and changelog noting all the changes etc,..

MP Missions - DownLoad Here! (mirrors welcome)

SP Missions - DownLoad Here!

Edited by DarkXess

I played it last night and I fucking loved it! but the enemy officer we had to kill killed himself. we had a pop up that he was death, we were like okay...