Sign in to follow this  
Varanon

BSI_fnc_UnitPlay not working on dedicated server ?

I tried using BIS_fnc_unitPlay in a multiplayer mission, and it works if I am running on a hosted server. It fails, however, if I run it on a dedicated server.

Looking at the code for unitPlay, I notice that it installs a display event handler, which is most likely not available on a dedicated server without an actual display or anything.

So, is it true that it will not work on a dedicated server, or am I just too dense ? As I said, it works on a hosted server and in single player. The script only replays the data where the chopper is local, though, since I assume that setVelocityTransformation (which is used for positioning the object) requires a local argument ?

Well, until now, it didn't have any interest in MP since it would always cause massive stuttering.

Now, they changed the way it works recently, does it work smooth on a hosted game?

Well, until now, it didn't have any interest in MP since it would always cause massive stuttering.

Now, they changed the way it works recently, does it work smooth on a hosted game?

Yes. This is the reason I actually tried to use it, because in Arma 2, it was not usable at all

Glad I found this. I tried using it too, with no success either.

Works flawlessly in local/singleplayer, but fails miserably in dedicated. A heli landing and picking up an AI unit is essential to my mission, but I refuse to use "land" as it'll chop in half a dozen trees and lose the main rotor in the process.

Is it absolutely unusable, then?

Is it absolutely unusable, then?

As long as the replay is based around a user interface handler, I doubt that it will ever work on dedicated servers. There's a BIS_fnc_UnitPlaySimple, but I think that's the old one that used to jump around like crazy...

but I refuse to use "land" as it'll chop in half a dozen trees and lose the main rotor in the process.

You can use invisible helipad then, works perfect.

You can use invisible helipad then, works perfect.

I was using that... naming it "hpad", telling the chopper to land "hpad". But it'll always choose a "safer" location on the road somewhere, even though the helipad's not overlapping any buildings, etc. And then the disaster is bound to happen. Or it'll do what was said above.

Haven't managed to get this to work 100% yet.

Awesome.

By the way, in my experience, I saw UnitPlay "nearly" worked in dedicated. The helicopter I used was just stuttering a lot and turned its engine off as it approached the end of the recording, but it did reach the end of the path.

Edited by rakowozz

Haven't managed to get this to work 100% yet.

I’m using the following construction without problems:

pilot doMove getPos helipad;
waitUntil {unitReady pilot};
heli land "LAND";