Sign in to follow this  
nikiforos

How to use GBU bombs

Hello guys and I apologise for this stupid question.

I love flying planes and I am a quite good pilot but when coming to certain use of weapons things might go wrong.

I wonder how I can use GBU bombs and make them hit the target. Is there a lock on button?

What is important for the usage of these bombs?

They are powerfull and sometimes I want to use them to destroy houses or airstrips.. with very bad results though:o.

So if anyone can open my eyes here I would be very grateful:bounce3:

Ground units using laser designators is definitely the best way to go. If you wanted to though you could try to fly low, drop, and pull up so the splash doesn't hurt you. Very difficult to learn though.

Do it Stuka style, dive from 2-3 kilos down, this will be accurate lol

Its very hard to use a laser designator when you play in the editor.

And the Stuka thing sounds very unmodern in my opinion so I would rather hear some more people with more suggestions.

:)

Its very hard to use a laser designator when you play in the editor.

And the Stuka thing sounds very unmodern in my opinion so I would rather hear some more people with more suggestions.

:)

The main problem is that I don't think the aircraft have the ability to self-lase like they can in real life. (Hmmm, I wonder if this would be possible to mod by putting the functionality of the UAV sensors into the manned fixed-wing aircraft to simulate a targeting pod...) In the game, you essentially need a forward air controller (FAC) with a laser or one of the UAVs (MQ-9 or AH-6X) to lase for you. (When someone turns on a laser, there is a "Laser Target" that appears that you can lock on to in the plane using the cycle target button or the target menu when you have LGBs selected, and it will move around with wherever the laser spot is.) As you mentioned, this isn't really easy in the editor, so I've only really tried it in multiplayer. There might be a way to use scripts to force an AI character in your team with a laser to lase things he sees, but I haven't explored that idea yet.

The other problem is that the view distances are so short that you can't generally detect a target at the ranges would realistically be using for a target run-in (easily 10-15 nm), so you practically need someone else who isn't moving so fast to find the target for you.

This is the one single thing I would like to see expanded upon in ArmA - and then I can finally be happy with the game. Bombing without a forward observer is next to impossible, and I have not been able to get the AI to lase targets in the editor :(

and I have not been able to get the AI to lase targets in the editor :(

It's amazing that you can't. Just place an AI with a laser designator somewhere where he can see the enemy, and he'll take care of the rest.

Heh, maybe I should have elaborated further :p

I can't find a way to have AI units lase targets in a consistent manner - I have had units switch back and forth between rifle and laser designator, work their way far too close to the target or just sit there pointing their rifle at the target :/

I am also having a hard time working out the logic that dictates to the AI when to use a designator. Is it when there is one available and there are no other nearby AT assets? Or is it more complex than that? I am still very much learning the editor (I used to just use the wizard to generate missions) so any pointers appreciated :)

In reality with dumb-bombs that can't track anything, the CCIDP on the HUD would tell the pilot almost exactly where to land. Unfortunately in Arma it's pretty much hit or miss, and most of the time the CCIP is just for show. One thing I can tell you is to practice bombing targets on a flat, long surface and notice where they impact at different altitudes and speeds. That may help.

Practice with the editor, try using same speed and altitud so you can see where the bomb hit. Without a laser target presicion is too hard

me palying Online - laser targets

aV3xVVD4cNs

should be a bomb drop line in the HUD. the - on the line is where the bomb hits, fly till that is over the target square on the thing you want to hit and fire. well thats how it always woirked on older flight sims.

That's the CCIP. Just talked about it in my last post, most of the time it doesn't work.

Heh, maybe I should have elaborated further :p

I can't find a way to have AI units lase targets in a consistent manner - I have had units switch back and forth between rifle and laser designator, work their way far too close to the target or just sit there pointing their rifle at the target :/

I am also having a hard time working out the logic that dictates to the AI when to use a designator. Is it when there is one available and there are no other nearby AT assets? Or is it more complex than that? I am still very much learning the editor (I used to just use the wizard to generate missions) so any pointers appreciated :)

Go into the editor and set the player unit as something BLUFOR with GBU's. Set the 'special' field to 'FLYING'.

Place an OPFOR tank down somewhere with no ammo or fuel.

Place a BLUFOR soldier down about 300m from the tank. (doesn't matter which unit you choose)

Paste this in the init line of your AI soldier and group him to you (change 'special' to 'NONE). Make sure your rank is higher than his.

removeAllWeapons this; this addWeapon "laserdesignator"; this addMagazine "laserbatteries"; dostop this;

It will remove his rifle and ammo, leaving him with just the designator. It should stop him endlessly switching weapons and wandering about. You will need to tell him to target the OPFOR tank. You can achieve this from the cockpit by tapping 'SPACE', then '2' <<<<not '2' on the numpad though>>>>, then selecting the enemy tank from the actionmenu. If you do accidentally order him to regroup, then just issue another order to stop.

The 'doStop' command in the init line only means he starts the game stationary. Any subsequent orders issued by you will make him wander off trying to regroup with your jet/chopper. You could substitute the <dostop this;> command for <this disableAI "MOVE"; which will keep him locked to the floor. If you do this, just remember to point him at the tank in the editor as he will be unable to move and turn during the game.

Your AI spotter will give you a confirmation message when he's sighted up.

You'll be able to practice away without getting shot down or losing your spotter to MG fire (and get a little experience using the editor).

Edited by Das Attorney

If I was right, there was laser pod on AV8Bs in Armed Assault

But they later removed it to improve co-op and balance.

So it is complete possible to add laser pod on aircraft

If I was right, there was laser pod on AV8Bs in Armed Assault

But they later removed it to improve co-op and balance.

So it is complete possible to add laser pod on aircraft

That's sad. I hope they re-install it.

:(

They had the laser pod visually modeled so you only had 5 GBU-12s. It never self-designated however. People complained "Hey, I can't self-designate and I'm leaving the 6th GBU on the ground, wtf?"

BIS's solution was to remove the laser pod model and allowed the aircraft to carry that extra bomb.

In the editor, I've had no issues with AI scouts lasing vehicles for me while flying. I just try to keep them far enough away to not get into trouble.

ZF-