Sign in to follow this  
obliterati

Cant uninstall

So i accidentally changed one of my maps to a modified version and now cant play normal games. I go to uninstall and reinstall the game (AGAIN), and arma 2 does not show up in the programs list.

I swear the last several times ive had to do this (for other retarded reasons) i didnt have any issues, but i cant get it off my machine to save my life. The exe and the rest of the normal files seem to have been removed, but all the mod files are still there, and the game will still run off the disk itself, so i know i still have something installed, but i cant get rid of it.

this game is possibly the most technically clunky software (not just game) ive ever seen or heard of. Someone just help me get it the fark off my machine!!! I wanted to play it again, but after this madness (again) screw this shite!! I shouldnt require a degree in software design to play a game.

---------- Post added at 11:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:29 AM ----------

So i just got bored/frustrated and went for broke, i just deleted manually the existing files in the folder (over 3 gigs, but that could be mod content?)

reinstallation (man i am a fool) appears successful, patching now....

Either way, i cant believe people get paid to make 1/3rd finished products.

Edited by Obliterati

I've never known an installation program that also removes files the user placed in the folder after the fact. The uninstaller simply isn't aware of those files so the user always has to remove them manually after the uninstall.

As for it not showing up in Add/Remove programs, I can't speak to that since I use the Steam version.

Nevertheless, here's hoping the frustration subsides as the game is most definitely worth it.

well now ive got the program running again. Ive got it patched. But i cant connect to any games but the ones with the same altered map i uninstalled everything in the first place to remove. The excitement never stops lol.

EDIT: and how many games do you know of that play after you've removed the entire game AND files from the system?

Edited by Obliterati

It's not the games fault, it's because you put a modified map version in your game files. When you uninstall the game, it isn't going to remove the mod files for you. It's your fault because you didn't remove the mods/addons before you uninstalled.

It must be an error on your part because how many other people do you see with this problem?

this is true, it was my fault with the mistake. My complaint is that this isnt something i should have to be dealing with to begin with, and other games dont have this involved of a process to get mods to run/continue running.

Ive tried uninstalling anything to do with this game and reinstalling several times now, but because i changed one file and made one mistake the game is screwed forever and i just dont think thats very cool. I paid for this game like anyone else.

Now really unless you have something constructive to say, stfu fanboy.

What is it in my post that makes me a fanboy? Because I told you it's your fault and not the games? I told you the simple truth, it wasn't the games fault, it was yours. Nothing "fanboy" about that.

stfu fanboy.

If you cannot be civil to fellow posters then quite quickly you will find you cannot post here.

lol whatever, none of you have anything on this subject to say, you all just want to troll me for being upset.

dont you people have something better to do? I really dont care what you think of me personally, and your not adding to the conversation meaning your here just to troll my post. Whose worse?

And should i really care if i cant post on a tech forum where nobody has anything intelligent to add whatsoever except for defending a game where anyone speaks bad about it.

Seriously i dont care who you are, can you help me or cant you or dont post here. Im not looking for kindergarten morality here, id like to discuss my problem, and i just happen to be upset. If you want to focus on my frustration fine, but i have a right just as much as anybody so go talk about it with your therapy circle. Im not breaking any forum rules, so this is harassment.

---------- Post added at 10:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:44 AM ----------

lol you know one person with relevant data would have dispelled alot of this, but yes since you guys are on fanboi patrol you guys are just here looking for anything negative about this game to shoot out the water.

Your just as bad folks, but thumb your nose at me.

Anyways, once again, does ANYONE have anything relevant for this page? Just one post?? Anyone???

---------- Post added at 11:18 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:46 AM ----------

You see? If im too negative nobody will respond anyways. We dont need ranger rick coming around telling us how to speak....

Edited by Obliterati

Does "Expansions" from main menu have anything other than arma2/OA checked?

By the way, what do you mean by "changed one of my maps to a modified version" ?

You expect people to help when you reply like this?

lolobiterati

Maybe you'd get more helpful information if you posted something other than "I installed some unamed mod and it broke my game". What mod was installed? What message are you getting when you try to connect to MP games? Details might help us to provide some useful information.

For a CLEAN install , simply delete the ArmA2 folder (if you have OA DL and run the SecureROM removal tool first) in it's entirety.

Go and get CCLeaner and run it to clean your registry of any ArmA2 entries.

You should then be able to reinstall cleanly and patch but you'll lose your mods unless you move the @folder's somewhere before deleting the ArmA2 folder.

There's a slew of free DL utilities to clean up your Windows uninstall folders.

Should work...did for me.