Sign in to follow this  
Aculaud

What do real life sniper kits consist of?

Iv been messing around with sniping in OFP recently, and i was curious. What do snipers deployed in hostile areas take with them? I'm talking about in real life. I want to know what i real sniper kit consists of.

Yeah, that gives a bit of an idea, but i was looking for specifics. Iv heard things like a sniper carrying an M-16 with ammo along with his sniper rifle to have some sort of closer range protection, and a side arm with ammo, and even an array of grenades and mines and things. I was just wondering if anyone knew a place that i could find this out for sure.

I know its not rare for them to carry a claymore or 2 and plant them just before they fire.. so that whoever comes to investigate gets a nasty suprise.. and the rest of the persuers go a tad slower (watching for more evil shit)

At least in the U.S. doctrine (says so in the sniper field manual) a sniper team consists of two people: a spotter and a sniper. The spotter has a M-16 with a M203 underbarrel grenade launcher. The sniper has just the M21 sniper rifle and possibly a side-arm. The spotter uses binoculars and points targets for the sniper whereas the sniper engages them. If the team gets compromised, the spotter lays down aggressive fire with his assault rifle and covers the escape of the team. The team can also carry other shit like mines for escape and evasion purposes.

I'd imagine other countries operate in a similar (maybe not identical) way.

Note that my memory might have failed me and/or the field manual (which I downloaded from pre-9/11 U.S. army pages, they used to give away lots of nice stuff for free) might have been a fake.

Equipment is generally mission oriented. Also depend on what kind of equipment that the unit has to furnish.

An SF sniper works a little different because he has an entire ODA to support him. Our unit does not have any M-21's, so a spotter will generally carry an M4A3 fitted with an ACOG or an M16A2 or M4 w/M203.

We also do not have any HK Mk 23's. We use Sig Sauers for side arms.

Sniper:

M-24 Sniper Rifle

10x42 Leupold Ultra M3A scope

AN-PVS7 Night Vision Scope (sometimes)

Claymore mines

M9 pistol (Berreta 92FS) or Hk Mk 23 or Sig Sauer (forget model)

Maybe and M4 or an MP5

Ghillie Suit

Signal smoke and/or Star Cluster flares

other standard mission equipment (rations tec..)

Spotter

M-21 Sniper Rifle or M4 or MP5 or M16A2/M4 w/M203 grenade launcher.

M144 Spotting Scope

Claymore mines

M9 pistol (Berreta 92FS) or Hk Mk 23 or Sig Sauer (forget model)

Ghillie Suit

Signal smoke and/or Star Cluster flares

other standard mission equipment (rations tec..)

Complete M-24 SWS

m24army4.jpg

Thank you! Thats exactly what i needed.

Hey USSOLDIER11B, don't most Spec Ops guys use chem lights with strings tied to them to signal the extraction helocopter where they are at night?

I thought I saw that somewhere. They like swing them around and stuff.

Isn't smoke used for the same thing at daytime or by conventional troops?

Also among things snipers often carry:

Binoculars

Scout telescope

Insect and/or animal repellant

Entrenching tool (for digging into position when neccesary)

u can use the IR from PNG and thats more safe because thats directional singal.

i know that in day light the use of signaling mirrors is more common cause smoke will give up your position more easily.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (FallenPaladin @ April 23 2002,11:26)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">If I was a sniper I`d carry a lot of food with me...<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, people tend to forget that. Very importrant stuff that the spotter carries:

*Cookies

*Coffee

*Sandwiches

*Some form of board game.

*Deck of cards

*Blanket to sit on

ps. I am not shitting you. I was assigned as a spotter a couple of times during some excersises during our basic training, and we always carried those things. You see sniping/spotting is 90% just sitting in a bush 9,9% moving around and < 0.1% of "action" if you are lucky. We actually wanted to bring badminton rackets and a football once, but our CO thought that it was pushing it too far.

lol, thats hysterical! Though i cant say i'm suprised. Sniping has been made out to me as one of the slowest most methodical things you can do on the battlefield.

well, our CO said we could bring anything to an ambush as long we are willing to carrry it and it was camoflagued. but yes. as much food as u can carry, cause its REALLY boring. although u get to sleep more then u'll ever have.

I thought you snipers had to be completely still all the time.

You actually get to move around and play games?

nah, thats only on EX. in real life this kind of behaviour would kill you.

in ambushes we would lie still for about 60-80 hrs. and this sucks big time.

so on EX. we have a good time! biggrin.gif

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Hey USSOLDIER11B, don't most Spec Ops guys use chem lights with strings tied to them to signal the extraction helocopter where they are at night?

<span id='postcolor'>

Yes, we use IR chemlights that are only visible when using NODs.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> know that in day light the use of signaling mirrors is more common cause smoke will give up your position more easily.<span id='postcolor'>

Yes I forgot mirrors. Most Spec Ops units also carry strobes that are only visible from the air. Red smoke and red starclusters are international distress signals only used for dire emergencies. It is SOP to carry some. Green smoke is generally used to signal extraction.

LOL

Spotter: hey I think I see our target!

Sniper: good for you bob but you still landed on park place and owe me $400...

LOL... oh jeez, thats funny.

We regret to inform you that your son, Johnny, was killed when his excited cries of "Yahtzee" gave away his position to the enemy. He will be missed.