Sign in to follow this  
cashxx

Horrible stuttering with Operation Arrowhead

I am playing Operation Arrowhead and I usually play on the 7th Cavalry server and the AI and vehicles stutter like crazy. Anyone else having this issue or is it my PC. Or is it there server?

Wondering what others are seeing?

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

Well from what I am reading....some are saying to use the beta patch and others are saying to use -cpuCount=4

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

Will have to try those and see what happens.......anyone know for sure, is that patch for both Arma 2 and Arma 2: OA???

The beta is simply a new version of the executable (and potentially some other files) for OA.

That was a stupid question about what the patch was for......I see at the top it has OA in the title.......duh

Sounds like a Hyperthreading issue. Using the beta should fix the issue for you, alternatively you can use -cpucount=4. If that doesn't work then go into BIOS during your computer bootup and disable HyperThreading.

Hyperthreading is disabled in BIOS. Also tried -cpuCount=4 and exThreads=7. No luck, I have never had any luck with the switches doing anything. I haven't tried the beta yet.

Hyperthreading is disabled in BIOS. Also tried -cpuCount=4 and exThreads=7. No luck, I have never had any luck with the switches doing anything. I haven't tried the beta yet.

Without the beta the exThreads=7 doesn't do anything.

Without the beta the exThreads=7 doesn't do anything.

Wrong. Exthreads=7 helped my OA 1.52 run smoother, with beta you need no parameters at all.

Probably a typo in your post cashxx but make sure you use the - in front so its -exThreads=7

As @ST said, the OA:Beta defaults to using -cpuCount=4(if running on a quadcore) -exThreads=7 so you don't need to add those.

On a side note:

The Beta seems to have fixed a memory problem (crashing) that I was having with 1.52 (see THIS thread)

Edited by EDcase

-nosplash -cpucount=4 -exThreads=7

In the launch icon and turning off hyperthreading on my Core i7 worked for me it quadrupled my framerates. Before using that all the ai units stuttered across the landscape yet my camera pan was high fps.

Yea that was a typing leaving out the -

Thats interesting about the switches working for some. Even with Arma 2 I never noticed any difference.

the -nosplash doesn't do anything to speed up the game, just makes the pictures not show as far as I am aware, started with Arma 2 I think.

Guess I'll have to try the beta this weekend and see what happens. Thanks for the replies so far!

I am playing Operation Arrowhead and I usually play on the 7th Cavalry server and the AI and vehicles stutter like crazy. Anyone else having this issue or is it my PC. Or is it there server?

Wondering what others are seeing?

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 PM ----------

Well from what I am reading....some are saying to use the beta patch and others are saying to use -cpuCount=4

http://www.arma2.com/beta-patch.php

Will have to try those and see what happens.......anyone know for sure, is that patch for both Arma 2 and Arma 2: OA???

I get the same issue no matter what Public server I've been on so far.

If it's the jerky motion, where the vehicle looks like its turning left/right or sometimes looking like it's doing a 360 then I get that EVERYTIME I'm within a vehicle (especially in 3rd person view).

Edited by LondonLad

Don't worry mate, tons of Core i5/7 users are experiencing these stutters and I'm almost

certain it's BIS failing to properly code for optimized usage across all cores or take advantage of their power.

I did find a sort-of workaround, overclocking. It feels like the game only takes properly advantage of 2 cores or something like that, so they are being overworked and requires a bit of an extra boost.

Hopefully BIS will actually try and test these CPUs because a LOT of people use 'em and a big handful of these users are suffering.

I have experienced the stutter problem since Arma 2. Unfortunately, in OA the problem still exists.

It is a horrible bug. It was so bad, I stopped playing Arma 2 because of it.

It is slightly noticable when in a ground vehicle or when in the air (traveling at a high speed).

When another player is driving the vehicle, it is extremely awful stutter, especially in third person. So bad, that it is impossible to target anything, or essentially do anything.

I am running an Intel Core i7 920 on windows XP, ASUS P6T mobo. Overclocked to 3.2 GHz. GPU card a BFG GTX260 OC maxcore. Hyperthreading turned OFF. I have set -cpucount=4 and -maxmem=2047. Nothing seems to work. 3GB DDR3-1600 triple channel memory. I have run defrag on the harddrives. I have Arma 2 / OA installed on a separate HD from the OS and the virtual memory. It happens on all servers. EVEN when running a dedicated server on my own machine. Nothing seems to fix it.

I often ask others on the server or in the vehicle if they notice the problem, but they do not. I am suspicious that it has something to do with the core i7 CPU.

I didn't have this issue in Armed Assault, but I had a different rig when I played that game.

Edited by Toko [1-8th]

Overclocking as workaround? I dunno...

I am running an I7 920 at stockspeed, runs supersmooth maxed out in 1920*1080 (HT on).

Seems to me that most people who are experiencing stuttering have either their cpu or their gpu overclocked...

@@ST:

Do you mind sharing your system specs? Specifically, GPU, motherboard, memory, and OS, and anything else that might be relevent? What are you using as startup arguments.

thanks

;1677261']@@ST:

Do you mind sharing your system specs? Specifically' date=' GPU, motherboard, memory, and OS, and anything else that might be relevent? What are you using as startup arguments.

thanks[/quote']

LOL, it´s an Acer Aspire M7721 complete- system for €999,-

-HD 5850

-6 gig RAM

-Win 7 64 bit

I haven´t messed around with the bios yet, everything at stock and preset by vendor.

Most important: keep your system up to date.

p.s. check in your Arma2 or OA config that max frames ahead setting matches detected frames ahead (in my case both 3, only thing I changed manually).

I´m running the latest beta with no startup parameters at all :)

Edited by @ST

Just tried the beta and still stuttering

It's stuttered since day one with ArmA 2, nothing new here. It's better given with less people on the server but it's still there.

ArmA II OA still has some performance problems.

-heavy stutter near buildings

-FPS drop near bushes and trees *

-stutter in MP as a passenger of a real player **

-abrupt FPS drop in open field (for 1-2 sec)

*I know a little FPS drop is normal with bushes and trees, but sometimes a 50% FPS drop is too heavy

**I thinks this is not a performance problem but rather a server sync problem. Its in my opinion mor a warping.

Is it possible that it has something to do with the Asus P6T motherboard? A couple others who have posted with the same problem (stutter when in a vehicle another player is driving/flying) also happen to have this motherboard.

What the first post describes is the stuttering caused by network lag.

It has nothing to do with his processor or any other of his HW.

Try some other servers.

When i join public server i get a lot of this problems, just try to join a server very near of you and you´ll see that all goes good.

Wow!!!! I've been playing the game with terrible stuttering since OA came out and I just resigned to the fact that I need to upgrade my PC.(Which kinda stomped me cause it's not too shabby.) Or play at lowered settings, but c'mon, I ain't doing that for long.

Well I stumbled upon this thread and changed my -cpucount=8 to -cpucount=4 and my FPS in the benchmark missions went from 15 to 35! Nuts!!

Not sure why I had -cpucount=8 but it's fixed now. Time to pump the settings back up!!!

;1680389']Is it possible that it has something to do with the Asus P6T motherboard? A couple others who have posted with the same problem (stutter when in a vehicle another player is driving/flying) also happen to have this motherboard.

I think it's, as suggested, related to server desync/lag. I've noticed the same issue since OFP, I think it's just the way the netcode works. It's never been bad enough that I really cared too much, TBH.