Sign in to follow this  
warcaster

How do I command AI effectively?

I've patched to 1.07.

I have consistent trouble directing my AI forces

-APC's fail to follow engagement orders

- Disembarking infantry from helicopters tend to exit the helicopter before it's safety close enough to the ground, resulting in fall deaths.

- Helicopters Not taking off when ordered to move

-Infantry randomly shifting to extremely slow movement. Sometimes its a random "danger mode toggle" or they start walking.

- AT infantry switching weapons erratically.

- Rare occasions in where directed transports sometimes refuse to move, or go in the opposite direction.

I still very much new to the game and understand there are sometimes flaws with the AI. But I've seen people still perform efficiently and effectively with the AI command. Is there some kind of documentation that explains or at least gives guidance on how to command AI forces? I've done the tutorial.

Well, I would look into voice commanding if I where you.

See my signature link.

But apart from that you have to control the AI with tricks rather than commanding them like humans...

I can give you a few tips, but it wont fix the AI, so to speak. :)

-APC's fail to follow engagement orders

Your AI controlled units are some times a bit slower.

Giving them a target to attack will decrease that time, also setting vehicles to "engage at will" will make them move a bit, if needed, to attack a enemy they see. Infantry however should be set to "disengage" so they dont run out of formation and get themselves killed.

- Disembarking infantry from helicopters tend to exit the helicopter before it's safety close enough to the ground, resulting in fall deaths.

Tell the pilot to disembark first so he lands. Then tell the rest to disembark.

Or, if the soldiers have a parashoot, just fly the helicopter to the target area and use the (6) menu to "eject" them.

- Helicopters Not taking off when ordered to move

Helicopter AI wont take off or move if the distance you want to go is too short. Give a long range move order so he starts to take of and then give him a short one if you just want him to "hover up".

-Infantry randomly shifting to extremely slow movement. Sometimes its a random "danger mode toggle" or they start walking.

This is really frustrating at time, I agree. I think its because the AI goes into auto danger if the know about something in the area or you, on the other side of the map, is close to enemy they know about. Which works well when the AI is in charge, but not when a human is.

The fastest move mode is "aware". "safe" sometimes make them just walk.

Also, sometimes giving them a "no target" order (2,1) will remove there brain dead lock on they might have put themselves in, or so it seems at least.

- AT infantry switching weapons erratically.

I think theres a mod that fixes that, but I cant recall its name. It removes the ability for AT infantry to attack infantry with AT weapons.

- Rare occasions in where directed transports sometimes refuse to move, or go in the opposite direction.

When this happens try to change there status, set them to no target and try using a WayPoint instead of a move command. (shift+left click on map with the 1,9 menu order. Which is "next waypoint.")

Sometimes A.I. wont follow you simply because they think yur not in charge anymore..this can happen if you board a vehicle as passenger and oder it to soem spot in formation with another vehicle...in this case you hear yourself say: "all, follow 2" or similar.

To get full control back go to keys [0]-[1] "ready"!

Then oder them all back into formation, aware and disengage...this shoukd sove the problem of A.I. not reacting to you.

also...give vehicles waypoints instead of single klicking somewhere far away [ctrl] + left mouse. Same for infantry with a far destination.

Infantry and vehicles will move different with formation oders...vehicle convoys should always be wide column [8]-[1] infantry moves best in column, tight colum and stagered column and aware combat mode.

I have your set of frustrations at first, after a while of getting to know how the AI behaves and respond you will be up to the task in no time.

Basic things I think would great to know about:

- Try to use aware instead of danger at most time, as when AI are in danger they will move using bounding overwatch and will be very slow.

- Formation is key, if an vehicle is in your unit or an AI is injured in your unit, your team will normally be stuck or spread to 2 team, where the vehicle or injured AI will be left behind with the rest that is following or shall I say "next in line" in the formation. Thus giving the impressions of split groupings.

- Try to use engage rather than engage at will as AI will move to engage enemy and break formation if they are set to engage at will.

- Helicopter loading and unloading i think it's a bug that the BIS team is working on... stay tune for that fix.

- AT infantry, you can use a mod by zipper5 to rectify the issue.

Well that's my experiences with this awesome game. Hope it helps.

Thank you everyone, this has proved helpful.

---------- Post added at 05:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:30 AM ----------

One more thing. My APCs when ordered to engage a foe sometimes just run up to it and stand in front of it without opening fire. What is exactly happening with the AI? and how can I avoid it.

I'm currently in the 3rd mission of the campaign (Pathfinder) and can't find a way to get the gunner in my M1 to stop sticking his neck out the hatch and get himself shot.

Is it possible to tell him to stay buttoned?

This is really quite useful info here. I've learned a thing or two today, and I've been in the community for a while. Could prove useful for the newer players getting to grips with how the AI 'thinks'.

Maybe a sticky?

I made these videos a while back for just such an occasion. I hope they help. ;)

Edited by Zipper5
Forgot to use Walker's link instead of my YouTube one. It's a much better article.

I made these videos a while back for just such an occasion. I hope they help. ;)

Awesome videos and guide. Thanks Zipper!!!

One more thing. My APCs when ordered to engage a foe sometimes just run up to it and stand in front of it without opening fire. What is exactly happening with the AI? and how can I avoid it.

Use 'target' (right mouse button or select the commander and press '2' then pick a target) instead of 'engage'. With 'engage' they sometimes act weird - it looks like they try to get in range even though they already are and then won't shoot for a long time.