Sign in to follow this  
mpatton

Looking to get better frames

Hi all,

I want to improve my machine to get higher frames and better graphics, especially with Operation Arrowhead coming out. So, what kind of stuff works with arma 2? I'll list my specs later, but I'm looking like, should I upgrade processor, GPU...basically what'll get me the biggest performance boost?

Current system:

-2 gig RAM, upgradable to 3 I believe

-AMD Athlon 64x2 4200+ (dual core, clocks in at 2.2ghz)

-Nvidia GeForce 8600 GTS w/256mb total memory

-Monitor goes to max of 1280x1024, so I don't need a monster GFX card to keep up

-Budget: $250 more or less a bit. Try to stay around there in suggestions.

I feel like the graphics card is what's holding me back worst right now, although I have heard ARMA is quite CPU demanding.

So any suggestions?

Thanks.

I also have a x2 4200+ and 2gb ram. (Still DDR, not DDR2)

I used to have a 1600XT but i upgraded to a HD 4870 512mb and ArmA2 runs fine for me. But keep in mind that my PC is optimized quite well(Anti Virus? Pussies!), and also a bit over overclocked so your performance may or may not be as good.

Im still waiting for the I7's to get more affordable until i upgrade the rest of my PC.

Nemesis: first off, make sure your machine is optimised.

Next up try overclocking both your CPU and then your GPU.

If you don't know what you're doing only seek help from people you trust (no sudden experts or else your PC will hate you for it).

Together the tweaks and overclocking might just offer enough increases for you have half decent (25+) framerates.

If you can't be bothered/don't now how or still feel unsatisfied then your only chance is to upgrade your hardware... Despite your "low" resolution your rig is pretty underpowered in 2 key regions: CPU and video card.

Of these 2, the CPU is the most important factor but your motherboard's AM2 socket limits your (the latest CPUs from AMD require AM3).

The good news is that you can fit AM2+ CPUs into an AM2 motherboard.

Consequently I'd say you have 2 options:

#1 upgrade CPU & upgrade Video Card

Phenom II X4 940 BE for $117

Radeon 5770, starting from $130 with rebate (ASUS CuCore looks nice)

#2 upgrade to a powerful video card

Radeon 5830, starting from for $200

And then replace your CPU, motherboard & RAM later (considerable investment requiring at least $300)

Nemesis: first off, make sure your machine is optimised.

Next up try overclocking both your CPU and then your GPU.

If you don't know what you're doing only seek help from people you trust (no sudden experts or else your PC will hate you for it).

Together the tweaks and overclocking might just offer enough increases for you have half decent (25+) framerates.

If you can't be bothered/don't now how or still feel unsatisfied then your only chance is to upgrade your hardware... Despite your "low" resolution your rig is pretty underpowered in 2 key regions: CPU and video card.

Of these 2, the CPU is the most important factor but your motherboard's AM2 socket limits your (the latest CPUs from AMD require AM3).

The good news is that you can fit AM2+ CPUs into an AM2 motherboard.

Consequently I'd say you have 2 options:

#1 upgrade CPU & upgrade Video Card

Phenom II X4 940 BE for $117

Radeon 5770, starting from $130 with rebate (ASUS CuCore looks nice)

#2 upgrade to a powerful video card

Radeon 5830, starting from for $200

And then replace your CPU, motherboard & RAM later (considerable investment requiring at least $300)

I am not entirely sure why your post is directed at me since i didnt start this topic and gave the topicstarter some advice myself, but i dont have an AM2 socket. The fact that i said that i still have DDR instead of DDR2 should have given away that i still have an old 939 socket. ;)

I am not entirely sure why your post is directed at me since i didnt start this topic and gave the topicstarter some advice myself, but i dont have an AM2 socket. The fact that i said that i still have DDR instead of DDR2 should have given away that i still have an old 939 socket. ;)

:p

Well at least we have similar systems, so I'll take the advice into account lol.

Any other suggestions?

mpatton: your description of your PC makes no mention of whether your motherboard has a 939 or AM2 socket. If it is a 939 then I'm afraid there isn't much more you can do to increase your CPU other than try overclocking it.

It that case I'd go for the 5830 I mentioned.

Personally I think that i7 CPUs although nice a rather overpriced.

The whole setup (CPU, mobo RAM) will set you back MUCH more than $250.

Have you already tried those tweaks and/or overclocking your system?

domokun: I believe it's an AM2, according to this website http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00714578&tmp_task=prodinfoCategory&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us〈=en&product=3184140

That's the model PC I have and it linked me here for the mobo. So I believe I'm in luck? If that's the case, then would the better performance increase be in the CPU and GPU upgrade you listed earlier?

I haven't gotten around to the tweaks (I've actually got some time, so I'll get on it now) and I'd rather avoid OC'ing since this is TECHNICALLY the family computer. Even though I'm the only one who uses it I'd rather not screw it up by mistake.

Take a look at AM3/AM2+ and Athlon II / Phenom II

they work vey well, pm me if you want detailed advice.