Sign in to follow this  
Mage

Sketchup to ArmA 2?

I've made a few models in sketchup, now how can I import these models to O2 or arma2? I need to make these buildings able to be used via the editor so that I can add them to my island.

Any help is highly apreciated

Not sure what version of sketchup you are using but afaik the proffessional version has an option to export as 3ds which you can then directly import into O2.

If (more likely) you have the free version I believe you export the model as a google earth file (cant remember its exact name). the file can then be opened with something like winRAR, inside will be a file along the lines of YOURMODELNAME.dae. Extract this file somewhere.

Again, afaik you can then convert the .dae file into and .obj file (google DAE converter or something similar) off the top of my head i think there is one called FBX converter but i might be wrong. You can then import the OBJ file directly into O2.

I think that the conversion process might mess up soft/sharp edges but I'm not sure.

Hope that helps a bit.

Man thank you so much for your help :) hopefully this thread will also help others make content for arma2 using other modelling tools / programmes as well

You can load the Pro-Version, there u have 8 hours to test it.In the Pro u can export as an .obj or .3ds .If u use it only for exporting, 8 hours should be enough for many, many models.

I tried the pro version, exported a model as 3ds, used an external render, everything perfect, when i try to load it into O2 it says "load error" :/ any ideas?

Have u tryed as an .Obj file too? I had sometimes errors with missing points when importing from another tool.

Just make a quick test: When importing an .3ds i got the missing points Error,

and of course there was no Texture to load. After that the objekt was so tiny, i had to scale it X100 to have it in an good size.Maybe u just haven´t seen your objekt? Also there are some Options when exporting from Sketchup.

no no, i get an error message and it won't let me import it at all, that's what's happening, however, I'll try exporting as obj now and see what happens

If the program allows (i don't have Sketchup anymore), it is also always better to "save as" then "export'. At least that sometimes fixes missing points ( at least i had encourted such thing in the past).

Ok so I Imported successfully as 3ds, obj is giving me troubles.

But it says no textures found or something wth?

I'm just trying to do a static model, a simple on ramp for a network of highways I'm trying to do with bridges but I need an elevation T a X and the onramp

---------- Post added at 08:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 AM ----------

When I run buldozer it shows my ramp (awfully giant :x) and its plain white so none of the textures I used on sketchup apear

White model = wrong texture path.

In O2 you want to select your model and press E (face properties).

A pop-up window will appear with in the box 'texture' your texture (or something else). Just press the folder icon and select the correct texture.

*Note: make sure your O2 is setup correct, so you work with a virtual drive and the texture/model are located on that virtual drive.

Grey model = no texture set/not unwrapped.

*Note that if you press on the DX9 icon in O2 itself, the viewports will display your texture aswell (sadly no materials) or a checkermap of your UV.

When there is a textur in the model u have to change it to an .tga or even better an .paa to use it!

Then u have to change the path, pressing "e" when the model parts are marked.

When u only need a ramp, why don´t making one from the scratch in O2?

You have to make the Geo-lod and some other things so the ramp itself will be the smallest part.

I've been modelling in SketchUp7, and textured my object. Then I export to .3ds format and import to Oxygen2, model come in fine, but the textures are all messed up when previewing in Buldozer. (All textures paths are OK and so..)

I've tried to import the .3ds file to another 3d program, and the textures are all fine there. What is going wrong with Oxygen2?

Thx

all messed up when previewing in Buldozer.

What does that mean?

Theres textures there, but the mappings wrong? Or no textures at all?

nah the texture maping is fine , the problem is in sketchup.

you see sketch up modeling is messed up ,every time i import a model from there to 3ds max looks "almost" perfect (you know some faces would be flipped) ,but when importing in o2 the real problems begins , o2 makes alot of straight/lined faces (3+ points) so when they are in o2 they make ST errors they would look perfect in o2 but in arma2/buldozer the textures will be missed up the only fix (wich worked for me) is to check the faces and fix all the faces uvmapping (nothing would change in the final result but the problem will disappear ) ,will good luck (it's a real pain in the ...)