Sign in to follow this  
starstreams

Debian Linux server-arma2$ command Not Found.

Hello

I've downloaded the latest Linux standalone server file, arma2server-1.05.62021)

According to the readme file, which is actually 1.04, it says once the bz2 file had been copied to the arma2 folder, to extract and install it by using the following command:

[color="Blue"]arma2$ tar -xjf server-x.xx.tar.bz2 arma2$ ./install[/color]

However, I get the error:

bash: arma2$: command not found

I had first tried running this command as root from debianPChost:/home/user$

Then I moved into the arma directory and tried the same command:

debianPChost:/home/user/arma2#

I get the same error.

What is the arma2$ command? there is no file with such a name in the arma2server-1.05.62021.tar.bz2 file I downloaded.

I think I could probably boot my ubuntu distro and extract the file on the Debian drive from there, but I'm curious why the mentioned command above will not extract?

Thank you.

btw, here is what the readme says:

3. Copy the "server-x.xx.tar.gz" (x.xx is version number) file into the ArmA2 directory. Unpack and install it with commands: arma2$ tar -xjf server-x.xx.tar.bz2 arma2$ ./install

Watch the messages - they will inform you whether your installation is successful.

Edited by starstreams

Just use

tar -xjf server-x.xx.tar.bz2

to extract the files

and run the install script

./install

Maybe you need to run it with

sh ./install

if the executable flag isn't set for the install script.

arma2$ isn't a command. take it as an example for a shell prompt to indicate that you should run the commands from your arma2 folder.

Hello Viper, Thanks for responding!

I'm having a few tings going on which is compounding the larger issue. btw, I "did" get the sever running and was able to log into it from my game.

Just before I received your post when I was setting up folders, I booted to Ubuntu and extracted the bz2 files on the Debian linux in the ArmA2 folder. ( it was the only way I knew how to extract them at the moment) Then I booted back into Debian distro.

I ran the ./install, and it said the server successfully installed, but the tolower had an issue. note; when I tried to run ./tolower.c before I even installed the server, it said I didn't have permission to run, or it was locked, yet I was logged in as root. #.

I'm not worried about the tolower issue because I used ReNamer to change all the files and folders in the main arma2 folder to lowercase. but I was concerned that renaming every folder to lowercase could possibly be an issue in some scripts or arma files might not see the paths to it's own libraries. But everywhere I've read on the net says to use lowercase for folders.

The game ran smooth, but I'm getting errors on the server screen when I create vehicles. The errors are:

Server object 3.4 Not found Message 121

Yet the vehicles are being created and I can drive in them. I'm not sure what these errors mean. I am using the scrips the config files that I had on the windows machine. I'm thinking this might be why.

Edit, I also noticed that when I stop the sever with Ctrl + C, I it stops it, but it says Critical: Destroying running thread. This happens under both a user and the root account.

arma2$ isn't a command. take it as an example for a shell prompt to indicate that you should run the commands from your arma2 folder.

Thank you Viper!

Edited by starstreams

Ok, I tried everything again from scratch. tar -xjf server-x.xx.tar.bz2 didn't work, it says files not found. I'm guessing because the file is called tar arma2server-x.xx.tar.bz2.

So I added the arma2server part to the command, along with the version. It said there were errors extracting, yet when I did an ls -l, all the files were there.

So I ignored the error, and ran:

sh ./install, here is what i get:

./install: line 7: gcc: command not found

./install: line 8: ./tolower: No such file or directory

ArmA 2 Server was installed

Edited by starstreams

Ok, I tried everything again from scratch. tar -xjf server-x.xx.tar.bz2 didn't work, it says files not found. I'm guessing because the file is called tar arma2server-x.xx.tar.bz2.

So I added the arma2server part to the command, along with the version. It said there were errors extracting, yet when I did an ls -l, all the files were there.

You are right, you need to pass the proper filename to the tar command.(see man tar)

Nevertheless do you have the error message?

./install: line 7: gcc: command not found

As mentioned in the readme you have to install the GNU C Compiler (gcc)

Run the command apt-get install gcc as user root.

The install script requires a compiler to compile the tolower.c file (written in the c programming language) into an binary file called tolower.

You or the install script can then use the command ./tolower to convert the file and folder names to lower case.

Edit, I also noticed that when I stop the sever with Ctrl + C, I it stops it, but it says Critical: Destroying running thread. This happens under both a user and the root account.

Ctrl + C does signal the process to abort asap.

Use the command ./server only to test your installation.

The proper way to start/stop the server is by running the arma2server script.

./arma2server start or ./arma2server stop

Don't forget to edit the configuration parameters at the beginning of the arma2server script file.

The script will also restart the arma2 server automatically in case of a crash.

IMHO it's always a good idea not to run a service as user root unless it must have root privileges.

FYI http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA:_Dedicated_Server#Linux

The game ran smooth, but I'm getting errors on the server screen when I create vehicles. The errors are:

Server object 3.4 Not found Message 121

I don't know what this message is about.

Thanks for all this help Viper!

Nevertheless do you have the error message?

The GNU C Compiler seemed to fix the errors. it installed without any errors this time. But I also ran across a site that said you have to install the essential library's also? aside from the command you posted, which seemed to work, I found this:

[color="Blue"]sudo apt-get install gcc build-essential[/color]

I'm not sure if this is relevant or not, but I ran across some sites that said they're needed. Sorry for all the questions, but it's just there is so much good and bad information about there when you're trying to learn things.

The ./arma2server start/stop way of doing things seems to work smoother as far as stooping the server. Although when using ./arma2server start, I now have this:

nohup: redirecting stderr to stdout.

And out of curiosity, if I run the older way of starting just for testing, I get:

Server: Object x:xx not found (message 121)

I'm guessing this is because there are objects missing that are needed for testing?

so far I am able connect and run the server with the new start option you mentioned without any errors. However, my friend keeps getting disconnected from my host, and there is a message that says something about BattleEye, which never happened before. I think it's something on his end.

Don't forget to edit the configuration parameters at the beginning of the arma2server script file.

I ran Pico to look at the server control script and edit it if needed, and the port is set to what I have forwarded in my router. I'm still looking into this process ID stuff, I haven't figured out how to display the server pid while it is running but it seems the defaults are what most people are using. I think under the server= line is where many people seem to be putting their mod folders.

ArmA_Dir is set to (.) which I think is just the root folder, this is where I have the files extracted.

PIDFILE=${ARMA_DIR}/${PORT}.pid

<-- Can this Pid line be left as is?

As far as hard-linking the script into "/etc/rc.d/init.d/arma2server" file, I might be reading too much into that, I don't understand this just yet, I'll try to explore that more. I'm thinking this chkconfig tool is not something required, but can later make life more easy? for now I was just going to start and stop the server when I needed to play.

Edited by starstreams

But I also ran across a site that said you have to install the essential library's also?

IIRC you wont need them unless you want to build debian packages.

apt-get install gcc already installed all required packages.

The ./arma2server start/stop way of doing things seems to work smoother as far as stooping the server. Although when using ./arma2server start, I now have this:

nohup: redirecting stderr to stdout.

Don't worry about this message Its just because the corresponding command call in the script doesn't specify the redicrect explicitly.

And out of curiosity, if I run the older way of starting just for testing, I get:

I'm guessing this is because there are objects missing that are needed for testing?

I don't know what is causing these messages.

I think under the server= line is where many people seem to be putting their mod folders.

ArmA_Dir is set to (.) which I think is just the root folder, this is where I have the files extracted.

Take a look at this post

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1565052&postcount=5

No, . is not the root folder. . is an alias for the current directory, so is .. for the parent directory.

Thats why you use ./server command for example. which means 'execute the server binary found in the current directory' or cd .. to go to the parent directory. The root of you filesystem is /

You can print the current directory with the command pwd

('print working directory')

Maybe its a good idea to replace the ARMA_DIR value with the absolute path of your installation folder.

PIDFILE=${ARMA_DIR}/${PORT}.pid

<-- Can this Pid line be left as is?

Yes. And I just realized that no pid file is created on my system, strange :)

As far as hard-linking the script into "/etc/rc.d/init.d/arma2server" file, I might be reading too much into that, I don't understand this just yet, I'll try to explore that more. I'm thinking this chkconfig tool is not something required, but can later make life more easy? for now I was just going to start and stop the server when I needed to play.

In /etc/rc.d/init.d you find configuration files used by the init process.

Init is the parent of all processes and spawned when booting up your linux.

By linking the script into /etc/rc.d/init.d and using chkconfig you would be able to configure the start of your armaserver on system boot.

AFAIK the default on debian systems is to use update-rc.d instead of chkconfig, thats why chkconfig isn't installed on your system.

I want to thank you Viper for all your help! I hosted a few games for a friend and myself on the server last night without any errors. :thumbsup: I'm using ./arma2server start , and stop to run it, and it's running great! The game performance is excellent!

A few months ago I had been running the server on Windows, and it was just ok, but there is a night and day difference running Debian with out a GUI. The AI is taking orders much better, and they are following behind me more closely!

btw, I picked up a good Unix/Linux book yesterday and have been reading it at work, it's already cleared up a few questions I had not posted. I think I am good to go!

Once again, Thank you Viper for clearing things up and getting me going! The server is rocking!:cheers:

Edited by starstreams

The proper way to start/stop the server is by running the arma2server script.

./arma2server start or ./arma2server stop

The script will also restart the arma2 server automatically in case of a crash.

IMHO it's always a good idea not to run a service as user root unless it must have root privileges.

I have just installed linux server, is the arma2server script able to be edited in linux like our .cfg files? I will try to set owner to me to see if it works..

Secondly, on my Windows server I would add -mod=@folder to the target line of the server.exe to run mods on the server... is this possible in linux, debian 'lenny'?

-------------------

Nevermind, I have figured it out.. I just copied the arma2server file into the /user directory and I guess the copy made me the owner and able to be opened in text editor.. added line at bottom for Mod=ace\;acex\;etc

Edited by SGT.Hellfire