Sign in to follow this  
fooflinger

Arma 2 running really strange...

Hi, I've been playing ArmA for awhile now and performance has always been a major issue. I notice that NONE of the graphical settings do ANYTHING for me. I mean, they make the game look better or worse, but there is no gain or loss in frames whatsoever...ArmA 2 on lowest settings got me a benchmark of 46 frames average, while ArmA 2 maxed out gets me 45 frames average...What's really annoying however, is that I DO NOT average 45 frames.

In war mode ,the second I begin combat, or walk in a urban area or village, the frames will drop to around 20-23, and stay there for the rest of the game. It appears as though the frames become locked at 20, which is ridiculous.

In single player,In some areas, it will run perfectly fine, but then go all over the place when I go in an urbanish area, or start fighting. Hell in singleplayer, it just goes all over the place, and even if I'm getting decent frames, the dips that occur cause it to be extremely choppy.

This is the only game my computer struggles with, and is perfectly capable of handling ArmA 2. My specs are:

i7-920 processor

ATI Radeon HD 5870

6 gigs of DDR3 ram 1066 mhz

Windows 7

I play on a 1920x1080 monitor

Anyone know why the game runs like such crap? Or why it's locked at 20 frames in random situations?

Edited by fooflinger

It´s that hyperthreading- thingie on I 7´s.

Either turn HT off in BIOS or use -cpucount=4 in shortcut.

Setting HDR precision to 32, prerendered frames both to 1 and 3D Performance to 180000 helps a little, too.

And use Video: High instead of Normal/Low, that improves the FPS sometimes too.

In war mode ,the second I begin combat, or walk in a urban area or village, the frames will drop to around 20-23, and stay there for the rest of the game. It appears as though the frames become locked at 20, which is ridiculous.

Same situation

Edited by Raggi77

It´s that hyperthreading- thingie on I 7´s.

Either turn HT off in BIOS or use -cpucount=4 in shortcut.

Setting HDR precision to 32, prerendered frames both to 1 and 3D Performance to 180000 helps a little, too.

I've tried the GPU count command, it doesn't appear to do anything, but I'll try turning off hyper threading in the bios.

Also, where do I find the 3D performance and rendering settings? I checked the game profile and don't see any options for those.

Edited by fooflinger

I forgot to mention, the game runs 10 times worse on 1.05 then 1.04. I can get the game to run stable on 1.04, but not on 1.05...

I have virtually the same specs you have and struggled with the same "dips" problem.

This is what did the job for me:

In your ArmA2.cfg, set these values to zero:

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=0;

GPU_DetectedFramesAhead=0;

Also, as already said, Hyperthreading should be OFF and Video Memory=default or very high.

I've tried the GPU count command, it doesn't appear to do anything, but I'll try turning off hyper threading in the bios.

Also, where do I find the 3D performance and rendering settings? I checked the game profile and don't see any options for those.

Like qwertz said: In your ArmA2.config under documents/ user/ ArmA2

I have virtually the same specs you have and struggled with the same "dips" problem.

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=0;

Also, as already said, Hyperthreading should be OFF and Video Memory=default or very high.

Wow thanks man i solved:yay:

Change GPU setting "0"

Video Memory=default

adapter=-1;

3D_Performance=180000;

Resolution_Bpp=32;

Windowed=0;

Resolution_W=1680;

Resolution_H=1050;

refresh=75;

winX=16;

winY=32;

winW=800;

winH=600;

winDefW=800;

winDefH=600;

Render_W=1680;

Render_H=1050;

FSAA=0;

postFX=1;

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=0;

HDRPrecision=32;

lastDeviceId="";

localVRAM=1068519424;

nonlocalVRAM=804782080;

Very thx:)

Edited by Raggi77

Go into ATI Catalyst control center and force V-Sync to "Always off"

Go into ATI Catalyst control center and force V-Sync to "Always off"

Ok:) thank you man

I play on Chernogorsk town in ACE2 Domination 2000mt view distance 30-35-40fps:)

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

GPU_MaxFramesAhead=0;

Yeah, doing that appears to have stopped the stuttering, thanks! :D

I would also turn Hyper threading off, but I have a pre built computer from Dell, and I can't seem to find hyper threading in the bios. Though I would be willing to disable it if anyone knew an alternate means of doing so.