Sign in to follow this  
gambla

PCGH benchmark GTX480 / GTX470

Well mine is the "Max OC edition" (or whatever the hell it's called) with higher clocks then stock. Either way...I can run 1920x1200 with a 133% 3D-Resolution and:

View Distance=4k

Texture Detail=Very High

AF=Very High

AA=Disabled

Terrain=High

Objects=High

Shadows=Very High

PP=Very Low

No offense, but these settings are hardly "almost maxed". :cool:

Your claim makes more sense now seeing your in-game settings.

I´m a happy owner of a 5850 and i can set this:

View Distance=2400k

Texture Detail=Very High

AF=Very High

AA=Disabled (See last)

Terrain=Very High

Objects=Normal (Huge impact on fps)

Shadows=Very High

PP=Very High

3D Res: 200%

With resolution of 144x900 i can play average 30-35 Fps in Domi servers, so no need of a super hyper expensive GPU.

I´m a happy owner of a 5850 and i can set this:

View Distance=2400k

Texture Detail=Very High

AF=Very High

AA=Disabled (See last)

Terrain=Very High

Objects=Normal (Huge impact on fps)

Shadows=Very High

PP=Very High

3D Res: 200%

With resolution of 144x900 i can play average 30-35 Fps in Domi servers, so no need of a super hyper expensive GPU.

Should it be 1440x900

Thanks for the info, I should set everything to Very high instead

Coz I set

ViewDist=3.6k

Texture=High

AF=High

AA=Normal

PP=Low

Shadows=Normal

Obj=High

Terrain=High

3D Res = 100%

Going to Switch to

ViewDist=3.6k

Texture=Very High

AF=Very High

AA=High or Disabled [Only if Downsample]

PP=Low or Very High [if only I accept SSAO and Extreme HDR]

Shadows=Very high

Obj=Normal

Terrain=Very High

3D Res = 100% ~ 125%

Edited by avengerzx

Pfff, I'll be sticking with my GTX280 a while yet.

The only upgrade I would consider is running 2x GTX460. You get performance approaching the HD5970 (doubt it ever surpass it, not even go alongside it, but still) for roughly the eqvivalent cost of a 5870. Its not ideal though, as the GTX460 will never be more than a severly gimped 480.

Graph the cost of some of these video cards versus their 3DMark score or equivalent and you start to see where the smart buys are. +%60 cost for +10% performance? No thanks.

I upgraded from a AMD 4200+ to an Athlon II X3 435 and the difference in ArmA2 performance is incredible. This is all on my old 8800GTS card that's still less of a bottleneck compared to the CPU.

Hey guys,

Does VGA cable affects the image quality and makes the monitor unable to get the full power from the card [5870].

Im planning to get a DVI/HDMI Monitor, most likely Acer 23" Full HD 5ms LED backlit [1920x1080].

Because my current monitor is VGA so i use a adapter tat comes with the card, and has a native res of 1280x1024 [17"]

But i would prefer a res of 1680x1050, that it would have more frames than 1920x1080 or 1920x1200

*My main question is in the 1st paragraph

The people who have the GTX260, what about the GTX460? I hear that with a little OC you can almost get close to the 470 performance (or 480 dont remember) Im also have a GTX260 with a PhII 920 at 3.2Ghz and Im playing the game at 1600x900 everything HIGH except no AA and no Postprocess - Avg FPS 25-40 Do you think the change worth? because Im planing to buy the GTX460 1Gb soon

Hey guys,

Does VGA cable affects the image quality...

Yes. It's my opinion and experience that DVI cables provide sharper images. It's not night and day, but it's noticeable.

---------- Post added at 11:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:18 AM ----------

The people who have the GTX260, what about the GTX460? I hear that with a little OC you can almost get close to the 470 performance (or 480 dont remember) Im also have a GTX260 with a PhII 920 at 3.2Ghz and Im playing the game at 1600x900 everything HIGH except no AA and no Postprocess - Avg FPS 25-40 Do you think the change worth? because Im planing to buy the GTX460 1Gb soon

I have a 260 and have read great things about some of the oc'd 460's, but I'm happy enough with my performance to think the upgrade isn't necessary. Plus, as has been noted numerous times, ArmA is CPU bound so a faster GPU isn't going to make all that much difference.

For one 460, I dont think its worth it. If you average 25-40 fps with the 260, you'll probably average maybe 30-50fps with the 460 I wager.

Hey guys,

Does VGA cable affects the image quality and makes the monitor unable to get the full power from the card [5870].

Im planning to get a DVI/HDMI Monitor, most likely Acer 23" Full HD 5ms LED backlit [1920x1080].

Because my current monitor is VGA so i use a adapter tat comes with the card, and has a native res of 1280x1024 [17"]

But i would prefer a res of 1680x1050, that it would have more frames than 1920x1080 or 1920x1200

*My main question is in the 1st paragraph

What type of cable? Yes. VGA "9-pin D-shell blue connector" is analog which means that your LCD monitor is not "true digital" and won't be quite as clear. If your monitor doesn't have a DVI or HDMI input then it's an analog monitor and there's nothing you can do about it. DVI is both digital (the series of small pins) and analog as a "backup" (the four wide pins.) This is how you can plug a DVI source into an analog monitor using an adapter.

DVI and HDMI are pretty much the same thing except HDMI allows audio too. There are simple copper "dumb" adapters between HDMI and DVI showing that the only big difference is the shape of the plug.

As for the specific cable... no. A $5 plastic baggie DVI cable and a $50 Monster DVI cable will perform identically at least for the first 20 years. :P But who keeps a cable for over a decade?

That is what I thought about the gtx460, going to upgrade the cpu first then. TY

everything high and getting 25-40fps? i have a 260gtx and a i7 and im getting same fps BUT with most settings in normal!

---------- Post added at 06:48 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 AM ----------

by the way i just ordered a 480gtx hehe

This can continue in the pinned specs thread.