Sign in to follow this  
Dead3yez

FWAF mod

Fixed-Wing Adjustments and Functionality mod

(FWAF)

Gentlemen (and ladies?), I bring to you a mod that is in the planning phase as I write this post. Before I go on, this is a modification that I do hope to make completion. However, to do that I will need some help and of course some influence from the community to keep me motivated.

What will this mod be about?

Simulation, in short. The intention is to develop a package that will create alterations and implement new functions to almost all aspects of fixed-wing aircraft. I will convey my first ideas in the following bullet points to give more precise features in mind:

• Improved "flight model"
  • Improved/Alternate HUD
  • Fully working instruments in cockpit
  • Weapon systems
  • G-force effects
  • Vapour trails
  • More effects
  • Afterburner
  • Added/Improved basic aircraft functions (Brakes/Flaps/Air-brakes etc)
  • Counter measures

These are just preliminary ideas and I know that many of them have already been implemented within ArmA II. If feasible and with permissions, then existing mods/scripts could be taken for use and possibly improved upon. Even though I did state that simulation would be the main aim, the idea is also not to over-complicate things.

What do I need?

I am able to create configs, edit models in O2 and I see myself as an "intermediate" scripter. My knowledge in modelling/texturing is quite little, what I do know I consider quite basic. I will be/am looking for:

• Advisors (sim junkies and/or real world pilots)
  • Helpful feedback/suggestions/ideas
  • Anyone who has scripting/modelling skills etc, that is interested. //ejector seat and parachute needed
  • Beta testers (Let me know in PM, not on forum, and remember nothing to beta test quite yet, when there is something to test you will know) ;)

As of now, only I am involved within this project as you may have gathered. I am waiting for your suggestions and ideas. I would be happy to hear them so I can start assigning various tasks to myself.

My first task/priority will be making adjustments to the actual flight behaviour.

Edited by Dead3yez

As a flyboy, count me in as one of your beta testers mate. Unfortunately I can't code at all, but have been a flightsim junkie for years and years.

This is a great idea, and I'm sure that the community will be fully behind you.

Of course what we ALSO need is a RWAF for choppers (as they fly UNREALISTICALLY and gain massive altitude when slowing down!)

Edited by Kremator

As kremator said, I am also a flight sim junkie having used MSF since 98.

Real world flying is only about 3 hours, but thats 3 hours more than most.

Id quite happily beta test for you, And even help out with research, However im sure to get correct flight models for some default aircraft might be slightly limited. However i do know a few people from 'another forum' that might be able to help with improved flight dynamics.

I do think your request for beta testers might take this thread OffT.

Im not a coder, But because the way the game is set up, the aircraft only have about 10 functions, so to have these functions displayed so you know whats up or down or armed or depleted in a cockpit, i would presume is relatively easy.

One suggestion, Id really like to see damage dynamics, Like in the helos you can lose the tailrotor but still have engine power and if you're good enough land it. It would be ace if a plane could be hit but only lose hydraulics, or electrical systems, or damage the gear so you'd have to belly land.

IF you could have weapon failures, That would also be very cool :-D

i can do the beta tester i have a saitek X52 pro (joystick) and a good configuration you can pm me if you want ;)

I'm happy to receive positive feedback thus far.

More feedback about the current behaviour of the fixed-wing aircraft and how it should be changed would be very helpful. I'd like to know some more about how people think the controls should be changed to make it more realistic, particularly things such as pitch/yaw/roll factors.

I do think your request for beta testers might take this thread OffT.

Thanks. I've edited the first post now. From now on, stuff like this should be done via PM.

Only Fixed Wings? I would like to have more Realistic Helicopters too :)

But really great idea hopefully it get's true

Only Fixed Wings? I would like to have more Realistic Helicopters too :)

Maybe that comes next. ;)

One small step at a time.

Great idea. Best of luck with it.

Any chance of adding bird strikes? Think it would make pilots think twice about flying so low over forests and shorelines.

Certainly building in some random (very low probability) effects would be nice.

With the AV-8, It would be really nice to have the ability to manualy change the pitch of the thrusters rather than just going auto hover or slowing down.

I think im right in saying that the harrier can be doing 600kts and change the thruster angle to 'avoid' things (correct me if im wrong)

Edited by CannonousCrash

i love the break idea because when you land in arma you should have a low speed with all flaps and if the land zone is too shortly .... crash !

As this project seems to take most, if not all, points i have in mind (and working on) for the F-16, i already took contact with Dead3yez and probably this will end up in a close cooperation from which we all only can profit.

That said, let me add some points i'm working on the F-16 (and probably find theyr way into this project):

• Hydraulics system, respectively failure of those
  • Realistic avionics
  • Advanced damage repair handling
  • Engine glow particle effects
  • Overall realistic damage system

As example, a damaged hydraulic system will result in landing gear malfunction and also in changed flight behaviour. No airbrakes nor Flaps (probably).

Also repairing damaged systems will take it's time. At this point a pilot (on the ground a repair truck near) might exclude systems from repair to get airborne ASAP but with the resulting negative effects, depending on the non-operational system.

Some other ideas are around but not yet set to the point. Not only for the F-16 but in general i hope this project and our cooperation will bring ArmA 2 as close to a flightsim as ever possible.

Does this mean that the F-16 is going to become the test bed?

Could you just ask the ace team if you can use they're ejection seats?

Could you just ask the ace team if you can use they're ejection seats?

I have an ejection seat complete now. I just need a parachute for it. :)