Sign in to follow this  
barret

Best martial art?

What's the best martial art that the military should use in traning? Should it be karate, or should it be Kali? Plz telll me here!

bad idea. if you are that close to enemy you are one f***ed up grunt

and more over, there are no 'best' martial arts. it depends on how you diligently you train and absorb it.

and response to your PM, Taco Bell tacos are usually 49cents(US dollar) so you can get it cheap...ofcourse that's why they suck. tounge.gif

hey, well people like me cant afford ne thing better.

In Czech Armed Forces we have MU SA DO MILITARY COMBAT SYSTEM . Its founder is Herbert Grudzenski from German Bundeswehr.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Bart.Jan @ April 12 2002,19:07)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In Czech Armed Forces we have MU SA DO  MILITARY COMBAT SYSTEM . Its founder is Herbert Grudzenski from German Bundeswehr.<span id='postcolor'>

mu sa do? sounds like some asian-related one..

if i suggest, kali would be better than karate. you get to start with a stick and easier conceptual support. however, if youare emphasizing empty-hand, i'd lean more towards kung-fu.

Karate, Taekwondo and every other "conventional" martial art that is orientating itself on sports building upon fairness, or following asian philosophys are not suited for military deployment.

A soldier is wearing gear, that is heavy and restricts him in his movement, all conventional martial arts on the other hand are conducted in a light dress or civillian clothes that are very comfortable, giving you full freedom of movement. A soldier also has many items attached to him that can be used as a weapon, no conventional martial art takes this into account, because it´s not necessary to do so.

In a military application close combat follows different rules, military combat systems are suited to met the environment and requirements a soldier is working in, namely the battlefield or war-like conditions.

Additionally it is extremely seldom that you find yourself in a life or death fighting situation as an civillian, therefore almost all martial arts are layed out and trained accordingly.

In military combat systems the majority of techniques are layed out especially for life or death situations, they are hard and fast, taking death or total incapacitation of the opponent fully and intentionally into account.

MUSADO for example provides a soldier with techniques and knowledge to win a fight in a struggle for survival against an enemy within 10 seconds, using either tools or bare handed, ending in full incapacitation or death of the opponent if employed correctly.

It uses the shortest and fastest movements, leaving everything unnecessary outside, it´s layed out for fast brutal efficiancy not aesthetics.

MU SA DO is based on Korean martial art. There are bare handed,knife and stick techniques.

There was 2 martial arts for CZ AF to choose : karate and musado. Musado is more applicable for soldiers than karate.

The majority all sport/ring orientated MA are pointless in a military situation.

In my opinion something like Krav Maga or Keenie Meenie would be more practicle in any given situation than gung Fu or Karate.

Yepp,

there are 4 technique steps trained;

*Basic Hand to Hand combat,

*Basic stick fighting for combat and special weapons (i.e.Rifle and spade strokes),

*Defence against knife attacks,

*Knife fighting and advanced combat skills, including Commando techniques.

Training is conducted;

- unarmed against unarmed opponents

- unarmed against armed opponents

- armed against an armed opponent.

Most countries/units have their own military combat systems, such as the SEALS for example use something called SAFTA.

ok, make way for the grandmaster...

*ahem*

I agree with you all, a soldier must be free to move and very light in his actions, but there is a certain Kung Fu Tao that enables a human to move freely and extremely quickly no matter how much weight is on his back. It's all to do with the hips, if there is nothing on the hips, the soldier can shift his weight here and their very swiftly. After months of vigarous training, a soldier can jump onto a 3 metre wall within 2 seconds, or so. Oh and by the way, whoever said "Gung Foo". lol, it's Kung Fu.

Chances are half the martial arts wont be in ur area apart from the usual ones.Id probably go for kickboxing,much better than karate IMO.

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (--Snype-- @ April 12 2002,20:56)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">ok, make way for the grandmaster...

*ahem*

I agree with you all, a soldier must be free to move and very light in his actions, but there is a certain Kung Fu Tao that enables a human to move freely and extremely quickly no matter how much weight is on his back. It's all to do with the hips, if there is nothing on the hips, the soldier can shift his weight here and their very swiftly. After months of vigarous training, a soldier can jump onto a 3 metre wall within 2 seconds, or so. Oh and by the way, whoever said "Gung Foo". lol, it's Kung Fu.<span id='postcolor'>

So grandmaster would you recomend "Kung Fu" as a Military fighting technic? Can you name an army that uses it?

That "Kung Fu" Tao your talking about maybe you can find the proper defination of it at the Shaolin Gung Fu Institute (lol, Think thats a typo on there website)

http://www.shaolin.com/

*ahem*

bullshitter wink.gif

Since I worked in Thailand I can tell you about my fascination of Thai-boxing. The good thing is that is as famous and westernised as ordinary boxing. It is a business with strict rules and federations. And there are clear rules. And finally Thai-boxing has and never had any other purposes than to be a sport. Thats what I like about it. I watched many matches (they are on TV basically ever day). It is great to sit in those arenas and shout and cheer for you star!

there is a very cruel and effective russian martial art which the Spetsnaz are using.

israeli CT groups are learning a system called "survival" and is a combination of techniques from every martial art, its a street wise system that proved itself in many combats.

edit: this system was derived especially for units that operate in hostile areas under cover.

i) Level 1 - I need to become a hero!

----------------------------------

/Chop/ Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind

If you wanna test me, I'm sure you'll find

that all the things, I'll teach ya is sure to beat ya,

nevertheless you'll get a lesson from teacher now

/repeat/ Kick

Punch

Chop

Block

Once more now Kick (Kick)

Punch

Chop

And Block (Block)

/Chop/ Don't get cocky, it's gonna get rocky,

we gonna move down to the next ya jockey now

/repeat/ Duck

Jump

Turn

Pose

Listen carefully Jump (Jump)

Pose

Duck

and Turn (Turn)

/Chop/ Hmm, yeah, I see you're getting better,

kick to the limit in order to get her now

/repeat/ Kick Punch

Chop Block

Chop Kick

Punch Block

It's gonna get harder now Duck & Jump (Duck Jump)

Turn & Pose (Turn Pose)

Duck & Turn (Duck Turn)

Jump & Pose (Jump Pose)

/Chop/ Come on now, why don't you follow my words,

because we're almost done I'll make it easy at first

I wanna see if you wanna see what it means

to be the man with the master plan Are you the man now?

/repeat/ Here we go ! now Kick Punch Block (Kick Punch Block)

Chop Kick Block

Block Turn & Kick it (Block Turn Kick)

Block Duck Punch

Duck Duck Turn

Jump Kick Chop

and Punch Punch Punch (Punch Punch Punch)

/Chop/ That's it for today

Good job, PaRappa You can go on to the next stage now

/PaRa/ Ya hoo! Alright!

krav maga - invented by the israeli army they just teach kick ass no ritual paint the fence wax the car BS

In the Swedish military we have some hybrid form that is based on Bujinkan Ninpo Taijutsu. Not very pretty and athletic, but rather nasty and effective. One of the more interesting excersises was five on one; that is you learn how to beat up one guy if there are five of you tounge.gif

What about combat boots ? One quick kick to the head or ribs the guy will be hurting....

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Satchel @ April 12 2002,20:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Karate, Taekwondo and every other "conventional" martial art that is orientating itself on sports building upon fairness, or following asian philosophys are not suited for military deployment.<span id='postcolor'>

let me just be picky....kenjitsu doesn't give a dammn about fairness...just kill other ppl! and it follow asian philosophy

as you noted conventional MA lacks needs of soldiers. but kenjitsu ppl wear that Japanese samurai suit which i beleive is pretty heavy. so i guess we can draw the line of 'conventionality' there...

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Satchel @ April 12 2002,20:08)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Karate, Taekwondo and every other "conventional" martial art that is orientating itself on sports building upon fairness, or following asian philosophys are not suited for military deployment.

A soldier is wearing gear, that is heavy and restricts him in his movement, all conventional martial arts on the other hand are conducted in a light dress or civillian clothes that are very comfortable, giving you full freedom of movement. A soldier also has many items attached to him that can be used as a weapon, no conventional martial art takes this into account, because it´s not necessary to do so.

In a military application close combat follows different rules, military combat systems are suited to met the environment and requirements a soldier is working in, namely the battlefield or war-like conditions.

Additionally it is extremely seldom that you find yourself in a life or death fighting situation as an civillian, therefore almost all martial arts are layed out and trained accordingly.

In military combat systems the majority of techniques are layed out especially for life or death situations, they are hard and fast, taking death or total incapacitation of the opponent fully and intentionally into account.

MUSADO for example provides a soldier with techniques and knowledge to win a fight in a struggle for survival against an enemy within 10 seconds, using either tools or bare handed, ending in full incapacitation or death of the opponent if employed correctly.

It uses the shortest and fastest movements, leaving everything unnecessary outside, it´s layed out for fast brutal efficiancy not aesthetics.<span id='postcolor'>

yea, that and its never never never NEVER a good idea no matter how good you are to take on a platoon of maybe 15 or 18 soldiers armed w/ M-60s so hardcore training in martial arts is just a waste of time unless your in some elite light unit. but in most cases soldiers are giving basic but very effective disarmments, take downs, boxing,throwns and the gritty art of neck snaping wich is more than enough for a soldier to need to know, how often will a soldier be forced to fight hand to hand for a long duration of time?

Street brawling.

If you don't belive me, look at the case of the Karate master (I think he was a black belt) who got into a fight in a bar. He strikes his buffalo stance ot whatever, and the other combatant brains him over the head with a bottle, then stabs his neck with the broken shards. End result, Karate man rushed to hospital with blood loss, suffers permanent brain damage.

Example 2: UFC (Unlimited Fighting Challenge), a tournament where all sorts of combatants fight real fights until one is subdued/unable to fight. All sorts of martial artists enter this tournament, Kung Fu, Karate, Sumo etc. Who is the all time undisputed champ of UFC? Ken Shamrock, who is primarily a street brawler. His tactics were generally to knock his opponent to the ground, pin em down, and beat them in the head until they are unconcious.

And thats my opinion, agree or disagree as you will biggrin.gif

first of all in a conventional combat, hand-2-hand will be in urban areas and in trenches, and then it'll be life and death.

CT units also use it as another measure to control suspects, and they need it to be effective.

second, martial arts are excellent way to stimulate (?) aggresivness in troops, and THATS a commodity thats greatly needed.

and last, a good soldier is one that can fight it out inevery situation. thats the only way to stay alive.

What's the combat system that the Spetsnaz use?

I heard read it somewhere in a magazine.

Whatever works best for you. That is what I believe. A mixture is best. I have taken so many classes that I have my own style. Army Combatives classes in the U.S. teaches a mixture. A fighter needs to know how to strike with hands an feet, how to keep his oppenent off balance, how to defeat larger and faster opponents, how to get out of compromising positions, how to grapple. I also have Law Enforcement defensive tactics training (PPCT) which is focused on subduing with minimal injury and liability. While my miltary training teaches to incapacitate motor functions then kill.

i think my favorite has to be that brazillian martial art that incorporates a dance because it was illegal years ago. Only place i seen it was one of the dudes in tekken