Sign in to follow this  
Dreadnaught396

Noob in need of help. Please.

Now I know there is the sticky with guides and such, but to me it really isn't very clear on whats what / where to start (plus some links broken). I bought Arma2 on steam a couple of months ago and basically haven't played it more than 20 minutes. This is because I bought it thinking it'd be awesome for coop. Every single server out there seems to be running a completely unique mod and I never have the files needed. It doesn't help that server/mod names look like just a bunch of numbers and letters, making it hard to know what version/mod it actually is. I tried getting ACE2, that didn't work. I "think" I just downloaded some Domination thing (DomiA2?) I'll see what this does although I have to guess how to install it.

My main issue here is that the game is seriously not user friendly, same with most mod pages/posts I see. Its usually "heres the files. go." No install instructions or anything. Can someone kindly point me in the direction to actually be able to get some coop going?

Please use descriptive thread titles here as stated in the forum rules you accepted as you joined. Your current thread title says nothing about what you want or need help with.

If you read the readme files from the mods and addons you downloaded as carefully as the presented forum rules, no wonder you get no idea what to do. ;)

Thanks for going out of your way to avoid helping me as much as possible. Info for getting multiplayer working properly shouldn't be a cryptic process.

It is working properly, you just seem to be trying to join modded servers and downloading random user made content without knowing what it is or what to do with it. It appears that you aren't willing toput forth the effort yourself that you are asking of others....

I'm trying to join *any* server. There's no such thing as vanilla Arma2 I guess. You call me ignorant because you think I didn't read your "manuals".

1. Some links just don't work. The Arma2 steam manual link = broken.

2. Your guides skip steps entirely, usually the most important ones. They just assume a mod is already installed and you're connected to a server already.

3. Most mod sites for Arma2 I've been to are literally "Heres the file. Go." No install instructions whatsoever anywhere, even in the FAQ's, which is just retarded.

I guess I have to bring this down to a super super simple question:

How/Where Do I install Mods so that I can play Coop, and tell me in a step by step way. God.

Do yourself a favor and go checkout Tactical Gamer. They prepackage the mods they use and they use a Sync tool that makes downloading then launching the whole thing relatively easy. Plus it seems like a friendly and active community.

I'm trying to join *any* server. There's no such thing as vanilla Arma2 I guess. You call me ignorant because you think I didn't read your "manuals".

2. Your guides skip steps entirely, usually the most important ones. They just assume a mod is already installed and you're connected to a server already.

3. Most mod sites for Arma2 I've been to are literally "Heres the file. Go." No install instructions whatsoever anywhere, even in the FAQ's, which is just retarded.

How/Where Do I install Mods so that I can play Coop, and tell me in a step by step way. God.

Dreadnaught, go the the top link in my sig and you'll be presented with a descriptive readme that tells you in various stages of noobness what you should exactly do. Don't give up right now, the forum here is generally cold to new users but gets better pretty quickly.

Thanks. If I'd gotten another pissy message I would have started having fun with this forum..

I think you need to grow up a bit and respect the admin who was nicely informing you of the rules of their forum, in which they are nice enough to have open to respectful and mature people in this community. Obviously you do not see how much the BIS team supports this community. So your comments do not really impress whoever your trying to impress here.

As the commander of a unit that has been involved in tactical realism game-play for 8 years, I can say that this team is the best I have ever encountered, due to their support of this community, this game, and mod teams like ACE.

@*W0lle*

I thought you gave a very clear hint for help ;)

err what, you can basically join any server that doesnt have ace2 from my experience. I got no problem whatsoever to join any type of game. Maybe you by accident put on a filter on the search server thingy. I play vanilla without any mods and there are plenty of servers everytime. Only servertype that lacks are the new When Diplomacy Fails, which sux because its awesome having 3 different teams on the same map imo, why so few playing this?????

http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/7825/arma22010010421222078.jpg 700 kb

Edited by W0lle
700 kb image

There aer many coop clans out there, And most are always vying for new recruits to bolster numbers to have big coop missions, Im sure if you got in touch with one of those clans, and said you were looking for some good coop play, they'd be more than willing to help you out.

Its not really fun to play coop without using ventrilo/teamspeak.

If you are completely noobish and dont know what ventrillo or teamspeak is, Then send me a pm and hopefully i can get you sorted.

And reading throught 400+ pages of the ACE mod thread just to find out how to install it, might be a bit daunting. It only takes about 10 minutes to sort out.

Hey Cannon, what we do for folks is send them to a guide we have on our website, or even have them join ventrilo and we have folks who will work them them step by step, even doing screen sharing on skype to help folks with the updates or installs if they have a problem (normally because they do something wrong). We have been able to help a lot of folks.

Edited by Alderman

I've been playing on Vanilla servers all week and nobody called you ignorant, just lazy. (me)

Wolle gave you a helpful tip and you got pissy about it, expect the responses you received.

Right click ArmA 2 in your Steam games list and choose view player manual to get the game manual.

He said to read the readme files with the mods (some have special instructions) and despite your whining, sites like Armaholic have a link on every download page to instructions on installing custom mod folders.

Now I know there is the sticky with guides and such, but to me it really isn't very clear on whats what / where to start (plus some links broken)...

Hi Dreadnaught396

I just checked the Manuals thread links. All those in the first post including the Steam Manual are correct and working for me. Could you please recheck the Steam Manual and tell me if it is still not working for you please; so that we may investigate it further if needed.

Zeus's Multiplayer manual was offline about a week ago for about a week as they had moved to a new web server and it took a while for the new IP address to diseminate around the webs Domain Name Servers (DNS). I believe that problem is now fixed.

Here is a direct link to it:

http://www.zeus-community.net/important/arma2_mp_guide.pdf

Could you double check that you can now see it; and tell me if it is still not working for you please, so that we may investigate it further if needed.

Can you tell me which if any of the other links are not working, that way I can fix them.

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Works for me Walker and I've never looked before so It's not a cache. :)

Steam manuals work as well, and did when I posted before.

Edited by anfiach