Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

OA install type?

Seeing as there's no OA forum yet...

There is still generally some confusion as to the exact nature of OA, I read it's an expansion, I read it's standalone, I read it's compatible with ArmA2, etc etc.

Does anyone with any real knowledge actually know yet? Is it an expansion designed to install over/alongside ArmA2? Is it a standalone product with the option of installing over/alongside ArmA2? Is it some user-defined combo of the above, ala IL2? Is it satandalone only, with the user option of manually importing ArmA2 content?

Seeing as there's no OA forum yet...

There is still generally some confusion as to the exact nature of OA, I read it's an expansion, I read it's standalone, I read it's compatible with ArmA2, etc etc.

Does anyone with any real knowledge actually know yet? Is it an expansion designed to install over/alongside ArmA2? Is it a standalone product with the option of installing over/alongside ArmA2? Is it some user-defined combo of the above, ala IL2? Is it satandalone only, with the user option of manually importing ArmA2 content?

I can state, with absolute certainty that:

BIS will announce something about this in the future

It'as an expansion, the same as Queens Gambit or any of the OFP addons. :)

Only difference being that it is also standalone if you do not own Arma 2.

I just hope it's not like Queen's Gambit... :butbut:

I actually preferred the default ArmA campaign over Royal Flush... That's bad...

I just hope it's not like Queen's Gambit... :butbut:

I actually preferred the default ArmA campaign over Royal Flush... That's bad...

Lol, I meant in terms of functionality, rather than gameplay :p

Although, from what I can gather this will be a bit bigger than your average expansion, they never made a stand alone before.

it is pure specualtion either way, but what i was able to gather from bis dev posts:

* it is standalone expansion pack (as in works on an improved version of A2, with new features, new content)

* it will have a lower retail price than a normal game would, but a bit higher than the average expansion pack

* if you have A2 already, you will be able to use that with the AO engine (just as it was an addon for it), taking advantages of the newly created features where possible (the IR will not work properly on A2 units since they have no special IR map assigned)