Sign in to follow this  
forteh

AI help please - Hold fire command

Still a new player and working through harvest red, Im on bitter chill and trying to make a stealthy quiet escape....

Ive ordered my team to go prone, hold fire, stealth and move to the nearest woods to take cover from the following infantry; no matter what happens they always stop, turn round, stand up and open fire which eventually ends up with a decimated team and me getting really frustrated :(

Am I doing something wrong or is this just an AI bug/failing? Ive tried all combinations of standing up and legging it as fast as possible, crouching and staying safe, prone and crawl out of the situation but whatever I try the fireteam will not hold fire and not engage. Ive managed to get the team into some light woods where I can make some sort of defensive stand against the infantry, however Ive got no hope against the chopper, apc or tank! I would prefer to keep my head down and crawl out of sight/range.

Using 1.05 with zeusAI and SLX, Ive tried it without zeus and get the same results unfortunately. Can anyone guide me? :)

These kind of operations and manouvres aren't going well with default AI.

Keep low and silent.

Don't think that your own AI teammates will act logical or human all the time.

Request on proper AI voice feedback are not responded by BIS.

Cross fingers and hope the best for Operation Arrowhead.

Other people still claim that's a good feature if orders given by player are overridden by his AI subordinates... :rolleyes:

I assume it's a bug, at least earlier versions of the game had some problems with AI commands in the campaign, although I thought they fixed most of them in the patches. I never had any issues of hold fire in custom missions, so as far as I know it's not a general AI bug, but could be more a mission specific problem.

Normally, setting them on hold fire and disengage does the trick. When they are fired upon directly they will open fire though, even if the hold fire command is on (because they are already spotted and need to fight to survive).

Would be better if your AI squaddies followed orders with hold fire but if they were under imminent threat would radio "taking fire!" or "permission to open up" with a hot command to allow it.

Normally, setting them on hold fire and disengage does the trick. When they are fired upon directly they will open fire though, even if the hold fire command is on (because they are already spotted and need to fight to survive).

Could well be they were taking direct fire (or at least suppressive fire) and retaliating to that effect, just wish they wouldnt then just stand there waiting to be shot; better to keep moving as ordered and return fire whilst falling back - cant be perfect though :)

I suspect its more of a situtation bug than general AI fault, was just making sure I wasnt missing something stupid:o

Need that bug out/run like f**k command :D

Need that bug out/run like f**k command

This will be a reality with the next version of GL4 addon :)

Would be better if your AI squaddies followed orders with hold fire but if they were under imminent threat would radio "taking fire!" or "permission to open up" with a hot command to allow it.

Nice as a work around, but I don't know if I want to micro manage to that extent. I kind of like the fact that my team will open up if a direct threat than ask me and then in that moment of commanding they get hit because they never fired back.

I think that it would be "nice" to have it I guess but as "hold fire at all costs" so no matter what do not fire. User choice then I guess. I kind of like the fact I think my AI might fire becuase it adds tension to how I place myself and them before hand. I speak mainly in my own missions and scenarios though, missions may have other things going on anyway.

But anyway GL4 is being implemented an evasive maneuver change so AI pinned down by fire, when you ask them to move they will shift no matter what to where you want them to go. Instead of them firing back and taking ages to think about moving. that could help a little after the fact.

Edited by mrcash2009

I think that once the AI starts disobeying the hold fire command they should just yell 'We are spotted!', that would clear up all the confusion.

It seems to be when they get spotted they'll open fire. You'll notice sometimes that only one unit will open fire while the rest will keep hiding, which I believe means that only the one unit was spotted. And yes, would be better if they mentioned that they were spotted.

For that mission I just set everyone to SAFE and ran for my life. The main problem being the chopper that lands on your position. If you move slowly it'll land on top of you, if you open fire on it it'll kill you before it lands, if you keep moving you'll be far away before they spot you.