Sign in to follow this  
ron533

FOV changes in ArmA2-Truview style?

Hi,

I was wondering if you can change the fov in A2 incrementally, like a slider movement, and not the current fixed values for zoom in /zoom out??

I'm trying to get a similar effect like in the A1 mod -"truview", where I can get the same fov with and without ironsights.

I've tried changing the values in the cfg file and got close results to that mod i.e. fov nearly hasn't changed in ironsights on, but the fov was so much limited I had hardly any situational awareness.

Also in aircrafts I had lost S.A. as well, though cockpit view was 1:1 life like...

Is there a method to fix it/change it?

I was trying to mess with cfg file cause I dont want to be limited on online servers who do not accept addons...

Thanks!

i think i remember binding zoom to my 2nd throttle axis on my joystick one time and it worked fine in an analogue fashion.

or maybe im remembering wrong.

dont know if this is what youre asking either.

For ironsights/aimpoint etc the slight zoom simulate that you move your head forward a bit when aiming with a rifle wich is realistic.

i think i remember binding zoom to my 2nd throttle axis on my joystick one time and it worked fine in an analogue fashion.

Yes, binding zoom to a analog axis (or a rotary) on a joystick or similar is the easiest option and what I do, I can easily adjust my FOV to suit all my needs this way.

/KC

User.Arma2profile

Edit the FOVs.

Multiply each by the same factor. Mine is at DefaultFOV*1.3 and I think that works nicely.

On top of that you may want to alter the GUI scaling as well, to a larger figure if you're zooming out.

User.Arma2profile

Edit the FOVs.

Multiply each by the same factor. Mine is at DefaultFOV*1.3 and I think that works nicely.

On top of that you may want to alter the GUI scaling as well, to a larger figure if you're zooming out.

This is what I did. DeadEyez, do you know what the default is? Is it .700, cause I can't remember.

This is what I did. DeadEyez, do you know what the default is? Is it .700, cause I can't remember.

It varies depending on your aspect ratio etc. You can always find out by removing the parameters, starting up the game and closing it, then checking the re-entry's for default.

Binding the zoom to a joystick axis is the easiest way of doing this... ArmA doesn't restrict you much when it comes to FOV settings...

I myself have a joystick slider for zoom plus the trackIR which allows me to move closer to the screen to increase zoom.

The control bindings you wanna set are the Zoom+ / Zoom- entries (the ones where the trackIR is assigned... those are the continuous axis bindings).

Anyways, one other thing you can do is hit the numpad minus key twice so the FOV locks at the open position... it's a quick way of removing the tunnel vision

Cheers

First thanks for the helpers!

I actually was looking for a slider like control, meaning I can incrementally change view on the fly in game, BUT my slider on the joystick is taken for throttle... any other way than actual slider??

@Dead3yez,

I was looking at your optimization guide to change fov,

my problem is, as I mentioned, the fov becomes very narrow for s.a. and I can hardly zoom out any more after the changes, and I need that option as well.

double tapping on num + or - works in some mp games, not all.

I don't know if it's server related (though I guess it is) so I cant count on it.

also it does not work at all in planes (in offline/sp mode)

I've changed these figures to 33% less than the default :

fovTop=0.5025; --> default was 0.75

fovLeft=0.89333302; --> default was 1.333333

I'm using a 16:9 widescreen.

what is that gui option you've mentioned again? what does it affect in game?

mine (I think that's the right one) is : IGUIScale=0.85000002

Thanks

For ironsights/aimpoint etc the slight zoom simulate that you move your head forward a bit when aiming with a rifle wich is realistic.

That is quite incorrect I'm afraid. Moving your head a couple inches forward does not resemble in any way to how much you zoom in.

The reason we have the zoom, though, is that even after you zoom in you still can't see as much detail in the distance as you would've been able to see IRL. Of course if they forced you to always have that zoom so you can see the details then your FOV would be crappy and you wouldn't have been able to walk around. It's all about balancing between FOV and details at distance as best as they can, hence having zoom option (both when sighted and when not sighted) is more realistic than a fixed FOV that forces you to either have too low FOV, or force you to not be able to see details at a distance that you would easily be able to see IRL, or both.