Sign in to follow this  
Stang

Aircraft Max Speed Help Please

Ah - I guess they are the same. :) I'll see what I can do - unless Gnat gets here first. ;)

Tell you what, take out the required addon thing for now anyway.

requiredAddons[] = {""};

One word about landingSpeed. AFAIK this is a value only used by AI pilots and doesn't have any effect on player piloting. I would suggest to keep landingSpeed values at their original values because i guess they were chosen to fit AI's piloting skills. ;)

About the F-16, maybe you'll think about to create a separate replacement addon for those as they will get a major update pretty soon (hopefully) and then you might want to adjust your settings which then can be easier done when being in a separate pbo. Just a suggestion though.

Thanks Myke

Question for you. Can you land the F16 on a Carrier? I know its not realistic...but I am curious.

Thanks

One word about landingSpeed. AFAIK this is a value only used by AI pilots and doesn't have any effect on player piloting. I would suggest to keep landingSpeed values at their original values because i guess they were chosen to fit AI's piloting skills. ;)

About the F-16, maybe you'll think about to create a separate replacement addon for those as they will get a major update pretty soon (hopefully) and then you might want to adjust your settings which then can be easier done when being in a separate pbo. Just a suggestion though.

Yes, already managed to land on carrier and also to restart from it...thanks to afterburner. :D

It seems that the carrier roadway LOD does stop the plane immediately so coming to a full stop isn't much of a problem. Just make sure you have enough carrier lenth in front of you since turning radius is way too big for turn around on the carrier.

Tested, seems to work fine.

Note as already mentioned, messing with both parameters has made it very hard for AI to land.

class CfgPatches
{
class STG_Fantasies
{
units[] = {};
weapons[] = {};
requiredVersion = 1.00;
requiredAddons[] = {"CAA10","CAAir","CAAir2_C130J","CAAir2_F35B","ca_air2_su25","CAAir3_Su34"};
};
};

class CfgVehicles
{
class Plane;
class F35_base;
class Su25_base;
class A10: Plane
{
maxSpeed = 400;
landingSpeed = 125;
};

class F35B: F35_base
{
maxSpeed = 500;
landingSpeed = 150;
};	

class Su34: Plane
{
maxSpeed = 400;
landingSpeed = 150;
};

class AV8b: Plane
{
maxSpeed = 400;
landingSpeed = 125;
};

class Su39: Su25_base
{
maxSpeed = 350;
landingSpeed = 125;
};	

class C130J: Plane
{
maxSpeed = 300;
landingSpeed = 150;
};
};

Hey Gnat-

I played with changing the A-10's max speed to 400, but then was able to get past that speed in-game. Although - I just looked at the cfgVehicles reference, and notice that the config setting is kph? Is the speed display in the hud in kts?

@Stang -

Your next experiment should be to take what Gnat posted, pbo it, and see if it works. :D (I bet it does.) ;)

I'll check it out this afternoon...Thanks Guys

Also, TRex, when you were able to get the A10 past 400...was it like 480 in a dive or just in straight and level flight, did it zoom right past 400?

I don't mind a little variance say +- 100 in a steep dive, as I'm just trying to "slow down" the air element of the mission, to more realistic speeds, thus making it more critical how you use Air Support in the mission.

Right now you can zoom across Chernarus in a F-35 in about 30 seconds. In the MOD I'm making, you'll have to provide Air Cover & Support, from the Carrier that's located about as far out to sea as the map allows. This makes it a 4 minute journey to get from the Carrier to the main base at 350 and over 9 minutes in a slow helo. The additional time compounds the danger, critical issues and resupply/support side of things, during insertion, a fire fight and extraction and makes things "more" realistic.

Thanks again Guys for all the help

If this does not work, I'll shoot an email to Marek Španěl at BI and ask him. Its been a while since we chatted about Fighter Ops so I need to bring him up to speed anyway. If he doesn't know, I'm sure he can find out.

Edited by Stang

I was basically straight and level - a bit of a bank to the left. When it got up to about 420, I stopped trying. :D (Ok, I suck as a betatester.) ;)

Keep in mind, the logistics/planning side of A2 is underdeveloped IMHO. The kinds of layers of combat that you're talking about are fudged for the sake of getting people into the action.

You might want to look at other ways to slow stuff down. You could probably script availability of certain assets by requiring them to load up on fuel (have a script that emptied the a/c of fuel, then only added it after a certain amount of time). Similarly, if it is in mission, perhaps compound the issue by adding enemy anti-air assets. My experience with A2 is that anti-air is pretty effective - at least more effective than IRL.

(Let's replay the manpad effectiveness arguments?) :D

I did find out that "cpbo" does not work in Vista 64 bit. I even tried the XP compatibility mode and still no luck.

Is these another tool for creating pbo's that works in Vista 64?

I did find and use successfully "PboView" that runs in Vista 64 just fine and allows me to view and extract pbo's...just not compile them again.

:confused:

Then the speed issue may be solved. If its has a +- 100, then we're finsihed with that part...YEAH :)

I am using the "other ways" you've mentioned with the following to slow things down a bit.

• Limited Air Assets (aircraft).
  • Limit Speed.
  • Limited Fuel.
  • Limited Weapons.
  • Limited Intel.
  • Increased Air Defense Assets.
  • Increased Enemy Air CAP / CAS.
  • Increased Patrols and Convoys in and between AO's.
  • Increased Specific Goals that require items accomplished in certain orders to progress/win.
  • Also made it very easy to loose, if you avoid certain instructions or do not protect certain assets.

When I get it done I think you Guys will like it, if you like small force realistic operations, with ground controlled dependent air cover, in a hard enviroment that requires strategy, team work and players focused on accomplishing goals.

Should be great fun

Edited by Stang

You will eventually need to grab the BI tool suite - it has something that can create pbos. Check out the PMC site for a quick tut on getting it going.

You may also want to register at dev-heaven.net. There are some useful tools there, one of which is pboDLL, and a related GUI called Eliteness. It can make pbos, also.

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/show/mikero-pbodll

Oh, and reading your edit - do you ever do SP games?

Single Player

Sure, all the time

why???

You will eventually need to grab the BI tool suite - it has something that can create pbos. Check out the PMC site for a quick tut on getting it going.

You may also want to register at dev-heaven.net. There are some useful tools there, one of which is pboDLL, and a related GUI called Eliteness. It can make pbos, also.

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/show/mikero-pbodll

Oh, and reading your edit - do you ever do SP games?

Hey TRex

In the sample file you emailed me it had a file (ajdPlanes.pbo) and Folder (adjPlanes) with 1 file in it (config1202.cpp).

I know there are several ways to add / run MOD's. How should I install this to run it?

I know the pbo goes in my addons folder but where does the folder go and what other parameters do I need to add to the launch shortcut to run it correctly?

Thanks

Oops.

Sh't.. I may have f'd up a bit. :D The .cpp in the folder should've just been a config.cpp. Rename it to that, then create a pbo from the adjPlanes folder.

That would explain why it didn't work for me! I'm pretty sure I didn't change the name to config.cpp before pbo'ing it.

I'll email you a new pbo. If I were you, I'd create a new mod folder in your arma directory <arma root>\StangDev\addons and put it there. Alternatively, I believe you have a Sparta mod directory? Put it in the \addons\ folder there. Email inbound.

Edit: ignore the folder for purposes of the addon. I just included it to give you an idea how the folder structure is set up and how the config works. :thumbs:

Edit2:

More info on modfolders:

http://tactical.nekromantix.com/tactical/wiki/doku.php?id=arma:modfolders

Edited by TRexian

I think I'm doing something wrong.

I got the new "adjPlanes.pbo" file from you (Thank you)

I put it in my addons folder in Arma2

I have this as a shortcut target to run Arma 2

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 33900 -nosplash -mod=addons

I start in Single Player, go into the editor in Chernarus. Create a player, then an empty A10 which I can fly no problem

however...there is no change whatsoever to the flight model of the A10. In straight and level flight it goes right past 600 easily.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Edited by Stang

Ooof - you have the steam version?

I have no idea then.

Doesn't that Sparta group have a specific set of addons?

You should also have an arma2.rpt file someplace. For a Vista 64 OS, I have no idea where it would be, though. That is basically a log file for A2 so you can debug stuff. I'll try to pbo Gnat's suggested config and send that to you.

Could it be the way I'm running it?

I have "ALL" of the community addons I've downloaded in one folder like Myke's F16 for example. I did put key files in the Key folder

My Arma 2 folder is this

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\arma 2\Addons

My shortcut to launch the game is this

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\Steam.exe" -applaunch 33900 -nosplash -mod=addons

All of the added on things like Myke's F16, OH58, CH53, MH6, @VopSound_2.1, @proper, @LittleBirds, @At_gui, Ka50 and CH47 are in that one folder,

They show up fine in the editor and seem to work just fine as well.

Should I have my addons setup differently?

Thanks

I'm just not familiar with a startup like that.

But, since the other things show up just fine, it must work, eh?

We're rapidly getting beyond my knowledge. :(

Waaaait

I just tried the second pbo ([APS]Gnat's version) and it WORKED!!

His version includes the following aircraft

A10

F35

Su25

Av8b

Su34

Su39

C130J

I think I should take his advice and leave the landing speed alone so as to not freak out the AI.

how do I add the following aircraft to his version

F

16            400    (?Mykes)
MH60         170                     
Mi17          135
CH53          150
UH1Y          125  
AH64          150                   
AH1Z          150
Ka52           150
Mi24            200
OH58           125
MH6            175

I am "ASSUMING" I can

add the rest of the other aircraft & their maxSpeed = line

remove the landingSpeed = line from all of them

and have everything I want running in a single pbo.....? Right?

Kewl!

Let me track down the class names for the other things and I'll send you a new pbo. If I don't get to it in the next hour, it might have to wait until tonight.

WhooHoo

Finlay making real progress

Thanks Everyone!!

:bounce3:

Here are the classes for the remaining aircraft (MH6 & OH58)

// Generated by unRap v1.06 by Kegetys
class CfgPatches {
class CYBP_LittleBirdsConfig {
	units[] = {CYBP_AH6_US, CYBP_AH6_RACS, CYBP_AH6_NAPA, CYBP_AH6_CHDKZ, CYBP_MH6_US, CYBP_MH6_RACS, CYBP_MH6_NAPA, CYBP_MH6_CHDKZ};
	weapons[] = {LBM134, LBFFAR};
	requiredVersion = 1.0;
	requiredAddons[] = {"CAAir", "CAWeapons", "CYBP_LittleBirds"};
};
};

// Generated by unRap v1.06 by Kegetys

class CfgVehicles {
class Helicopter;	// External class reference

class OH58_Heli : Helicopter {
	class NewTurret;	// External class reference
	irScanRangeMin = 500;
	irScanRangeMax = 8000;
	class ViewPilot;	// External class reference
	class AnimationSources;	// External class reference
};

Hey Gnat (or anyone else) :) in trying to help Stang with this, I created this config for the whirly birds, which doesn't work.

// Stang's adjusted flight models
// config by Gnat mostly
// fixed AV8B = AV8B2 in A2

class CfgPatches
{
class STG_FantasiesRW
{
units[] = {};
weapons[] = {};
requiredVersion = 1.00;
requiredAddons[] = {"CAA10","CAAir","CAAir2_C130J","CAAir2_F35B","ca_air2_su25","CAAir3_Su34", "OH58", "gac_USMC_MH53"};
};
};

class CfgVehicles
{
class Helicopter;
class AH64_base_EP1;
class AH1_Base;
class UH60_Base;
class Kamov_Base;
class OH58_Heli;

class AH64D: AH64_base_EP1
{
maxSpeed = 150;
};

class Mi17_base: Helicopter
{
maxSpeed = 135;
};

class AH1Z: AH1_Base
{
maxSpeed = 150;
};

class MH60S: UH60_Base
{
maxSpeed = 170;
};

class Mi24_Base: Helicopter
{
maxSpeed = 200;
};

class UH1_Base: Helicopter
{
maxSpeed = 125;
};

class Ka52: Kamov_Base
{
maxSpeed = 150;
};

// couldn't find CH-53 and MH-6. I'm pretty sure those are addons.

class kiowa: OH58_heli
{
maxSpeed = 125;
};

// ka-50 150
class KA50: Helicopter
{
maxSpeed = 150;
};

// mh-6 175

class AH6: Helicopter
{
maxSpeed = 125;
};

// ch-53 150
class gac_USMC_MH53E : MH60S
{
maxSpeed = 150;
};

class gac_USN_MH53E : MH60S
{
maxSpeed = 150;
};

class gac_USAF_HH53E_DG : MH60S
{
maxSpeed = 150;
};

};

Now, I'd understand if I got some of the addon classes wrong, but it sounds like it doesn't limit ANY of the helo speeds. Any thoughts?

Your problem is you are inventing classes that dont exist !

This section;

class Helicopter;

class AH64_base_EP1;

class AH1_Base;

class UH60_Base;

class Kamov_Base;

class OH58_Heli;

Is all about coping or "extending" extisting ArmAII classes.

But there are no classes called "AH64_base_EP1", "AH1_Base", "Kamov_Base" etc etc !

See here to view and/or download the vanilla configs to see what the TRUE class names are for each chopper you want to mod.

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/cmb/repository/revisions/master/show/configs/A2

Recommend downloading the latest "AllInOne" version for offline browsing of ArmAII's vanilla Config

http://dev-heaven.net/projects/cmb/repository/revisions/master/show/configs/A2/formatted

Whoa - I could've sworn I got them from an allinone config I got in September....

Will re-check!

-----

Edit:

Well - a couple of those are addons, so that'll take me a bit longer, but for the AH-1z-

class AH1_Base: Helicopter
{
	scope = 0;
	side = 1;
	faction = "USMC";
	accuracy = 0.5;
	displayName = "AH-1";
};
class AH1Z: AH1_Base
{

class AH64_base_EP1: Helicopter
{