Sign in to follow this  
b00ce

Snapping points to surfaces?

Is there a way to snap a point to a face?

And is there a way to make a point move perpendicular to a surface, much like the X Y and Z axis locks for moving stuff?

None of the tutorials I've seen go over a feature like this, or even elude to it. So I don't know if it's even possible.

And is there a way to make a point move perpendicular to a surface, much like the X Y and Z axis locks for moving stuff?

Tick \Points\Transform 3D\Show Local Axis, select the face you want to move points perpendicular too, \Points\Transform 3D\Direction From Face(s), lock movement along the Z axis only, move your verts.

Untick 'Show Local Axis' and return the axis lock to XY to return movement to normal.

As for snapping, I think you're able to do some sort of snap in pin mod ®, but I'm not sure how it works.

Maybe not as flexible as da15thMonkey mentioned (i actually never tried his methode, sounds good).

But indeed with the PIN you can come to the same result, but probebly not that fast.

Anyway, select two or more vertexes of the face you want a point added too.

*If you select the two diagonal vertexes in a square (with equal size sides), you will have the center for example.

Now press Ctrl+C so you have a cross with a circle around it.

Press Insert to add a vertex.

Now select your new created vertex and one of the corner vertexes of your face and now press C, this will relocate the PIN to the center of those two points.

Now only select your created vertex and scale by hand (ctrl+shift+right mouse button).

Note you 'move' the vertex diagional based on the axis of the previously selected two points.

In case you want it to move in an other direction, reselect your vertex and one of the other vertex of your face.

Like said, maybe not that fast compaired to the above trick.

In the end it does the same job, moving a point planar to a face.

Note the pin trick can't be used only multiple vertexes because you use the scale, so it will deform them.

I guess a combo of the two will do the job.

Use pin methode to put a vertex planar to a face.

Use da12thMonkey methode to actually move the face or multiple along the face.