Sign in to follow this  
spork

ArmA graphical glitches then crash

Recently my arma has been crashing, usually after 30mins of play. It will be running normal, then there will be a massive drop in FPS and many graphical glitches, grey/white flickering of textures and all over the screen for about 5 seconds, then CTD. i have a GTX260 overclocked which i have tried lowering speeds and increasing the fan. Also e8500 overclock to 3.8ghz which has been overclocked since arma. It started fairly recently, like since 1.5 or maybe an ACE update. any thoughts? thanks

Had the same problem - it was overheat. Make lower your graphic options, clean graphic card, then enjoy 0)

It seems, it's feature of version 1.05 - it's using card much more than 1.04.

Hi, I don't know where to post this but it looks like I have the same problem. But this is only happening in Sp mission Harvest Red (well I haven't passed Harvest Red yet so I don't know if it will happen later as well). First I thought it was overheating but when I replay the previous missions again, everything is good. Everything has been good so far. I even managed to play Harvest Red on my first try and was able to regroup with Reaper. But I didn't complete the given objective so I decided to start over. Since then I crashed every time within a minute of that mission. I've replayed the previous missions over and over again for long periods without any graphic glitch or any artifacts. My cards temperature was even hotter while playing those missions.

Anyone had this problem on Harvest Red or knows how to fix it? I've lowered video settings, fps was higher but it still crashes with graphics going crazy. When it crashes I get the Windows pop up with the message if I want to send this to Microsoft.

My Rig is as follows:

Asus P5KR, Q6600 @2.4Ghz, 8800GTS 320MB on 182.50, 4GB Corsair CM2X DDR2

I'll try to update my 8800GTS with 195.62 and see if that fixes the problem which I highly doubt. Any suggestions??

Thanks

Very weird, after updating driver to 195.62, everything's fine. Able to play above mentioned mission without glitch, artifacts or crash. Hope it stays that way!! ARMA2 rocks!!!! :D

Edited by DevilDon
Problem solved!!

i monitored my temps while playing domination, both GPU and CPU weren't getting past 60 degrees. but i did find out the problem. after a while of playing the gpu will drastically drop its clock speeds while im still playing, going from 670 core clock to 400, 70 below the minimum setting. same with the memory clock. is that a sign of overheating? because my temps seem fine.

Edited by Spork

Either way, it wont harm to grab a vacuum cleaner, unplug your PC, open it up and give it a good clean. Pay particular attention to the fans, air vents and cooling fins on the cards.

ok both CPU and GPU temps aren't going past 60 degrees, but after half n hour to an hour, the gpu clock speeds will drop massively, and i have no idea why. usually the gpu cant handle arma when the clock speeds drop, but somtimes it continues playing while textures flash. My core clock is overclocked from 626 mhz to 660mhz. the drivers are 196.21.

@Spork- If that is the latest Nvidia driver, I think released in the last 2 weeks? I read on another post somewehere that some people have had problems with it. The reason I ask this is because you said it started fairly recently, maybe it was the driver update if you are running the newest drivers. That is why I haven't updated yet. I have the same card you do but haven't overclocked it though.

Yeah the drivers could be the problem. I recently did a 2 hour coop mission on quesh kirbul; no crash, the GPU reached higher temperatures and higher GPU load. seems as though Chernarus is making me crash as well.

Same problem here. Last year i could play arma2 with 1.04 without any problems.

Now i have reinstalled windows, with new drivers and so on. I have the same problems as spork. As well i have overclocked my system. It is a opteron 180 @ 2,9 Ghz, 2Gb Ram and 8800 GTS @ 740/1050.

After 30 -60 min the game freezes or the whole graphics are gone and see onlye green or red stribes. Then i can only reset my system.

Ok i know its overclocked, but i didnt change anything in my hardware config. The temps of CPU are all ok and i believe it is not the problem. One note: i am now playing in 1920x1080! Last year i have played in 1280...

I will now log my graka temps and will reduce the clocks in steps. But i think it will still crash. Another solution is to turn back in 1280x1024. Maybe the graphic card cant handle the higher resolution?

Edit: That is ineressting: I just logged my temps and continued my EW Campaign where you were trapped in a house. Now the game crashes after 5 minutes. The temps of my graphic card ware max 67°C.

Edited by Steelhawk

^^ You play with too high resolution for that card. I have the same and play 1280x1024 wich works without any problems.

^^ You play with too high resolution for that card. I have the same and play 1280x1024 wich works without any problems.

What are your settings I also have a 8800GTS 320MB..i fixed this problem for SP games but I have this "Receiving Black Screen" or crash freezes when playing MP. I normally play 1440x900 and no problems with SP missions. Only problems when playing online

Thanks

I have testet all the day with the weapons demo scenes. The problem is that the game sometimes runs 2h without any crashes and in the next minute..... bam :(

I dont think the resolution is to high. I have got less frames but that is not a reason why the game should crash :)

Maybe it is realy the overclocked graphic card. I have testet with normal clock and the weapon scenes runs now 2 hours without a crash. But it could also be luck :(

Btw i have 8800 512 and play with normal settings.

When updating drivers do you uninstall and clean before installing new ones...?

Its a pain but highly recommended.

Cleaner progs I use are:

NFR (Nasty File Remover)

and Driver Cleaner Pro