Sign in to follow this  
fatty86

Make a Civilian Unit Speak English?

I have a Chernarussian civilian unit I want to substitute as an American. The problem of course is that all civilians speak Chernarussian, or whatever, so it isn't very convincing.

Is there any way I can change the unit to speak English, or failing that, disable voice responses for that unit completely?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Edited by fatty86

Not possible by scripting to my knowledge, the spoken language probably depends on each unit's config.

DisableConversation takes care of one part, but unfortunately the unit still responds in Russian to any commands given to it. I tried taking away its radio but it still speaks.

Oh well, thanks for your help guys. I wish allowSpeech would make its way over from VBS2.

Buzz, check out this bit of script I've been using for an unrelated mission in my description.ext:

class CfgIdentities
{
   class VIP
   {
       name = "Abdul Rashana";
       face = "Face110";
       glasses = "SunGlasses";
       speaker="Male02TK"; 
       pitch = 0.9;
   };
};

Then I'm dropping this setIdentity "VIP" in the unit's init field. What would happen if you subbed Male02TK for an English voice? Try Male02EN and see what happens.

Post back here and let us know what happens.

Buzz, check out this bit of script I've been using for an unrelated mission in my description.ext:

class CfgIdentities
{
   class VIP
   {
       name = "Abdul Rashana";
       face = "Face110";
       glasses = "SunGlasses";
       speaker="Male02TK"; 
       pitch = 0.9;
   };
};

Then I'm dropping this setIdentity "VIP" in the unit's init field. What would happen if you subbed Male02TK for an English voice? Try Male02EN and see what happens.

Post back here and let us know what happens.

Thanks, that seems to work pretty well. :) It IS possible to make independant speak English, but only during combat and when you give them orders. If you greet them, they will still speak Takistani. But you can fix that by disabling the CoreConversations. So far so good.

Now I want all playable independant units to be on the BLUFOR side in the role selection screen. Is this possible?

Also, what is the parameter for the player's name? Removing the name = "NameHere"; line doesn't seem to work. 'Player' doesn't work either. Apparently you HAVE to give the unit a name, put glasses on him and give him a face (speaking of faces, are the OA face classnames out yet?). Otherwise it won't work. Unless I'm missing something here.

Identity I use in a takistan mission:

class idOP2G {
	name = "Nolan Whaley";
	face = "Face20_EP1";
	glasses = "LHD_glasses";
	speaker = "Male03EN";
	pitch = 0.98;
};

So, Face1_EP1 (or 01? Not sure, test using setFace) through Face20_EP1 are the new faces.

Sorry, doesnt work for me. I need a Takistan civilian who tells the player about a truck coming down the road. I thought i can talk to the guy like in chernarus "Did you see anything ?". But he always said something like "Äh, what ?".

Unfortunately your idea doesent work with the default dialog. Im sure i done everything right, because when i greets him he answers English. But then seconds later he seems surprised that he spoke English - very confusing

makeaunitspeakenglish.jpg

So, does anyone know what i can do ? I dont want to write the whole dialog by my self, because Im really bad in scripting..

Revlim

Edited by Revlim