Sign in to follow this  
Reimann

[TvT48]Little Things

There being a complete lack of PvP gaming where I am, I thought it might be useful to have a mission that was designed to start with fewer numbers than would be required toward the end (named from the old saying) to get PvP servers started. I have put together a mission that begins as an infantry patrol, and as objectives are completed and new intel received, new equipment is dropped in, culminating in a combined arms battle at the finale.

The US team begins at the Nizhnoye docks, there as part of the CO-IN ops to patrol for insurgents, search for weapon caches, and generally fly the flag while denying the area to the enemy. Hearing of the foot patrol, the local cells quickly converge on the area to ambush the marines.

There is no magic box. Players will need to work together using their starting weapons to defeat the enemy, rather than relying on the one-man armies of DMR/SMAW warriors of dom/evo fame. Later, command will deliver launchers and vehicles for both teams.

The insurgents, as natives of the area, have a base respawn, moving with the course of battle, as they trickle in from their homes or cells. The marines on the other hand will receive waves of reinforcements as they are available, brought in by boat, APC, huey and finally HALO.

This is a beta, so of course feedback of any nature is welcome. Bugs, balance, weapon choices, briefing notes and so on. Anything you think is relevant I'll take on board.

DOWNLOAD

Edited by Reimann

Ok, first impression, quite nice.

First comment:

The initial ammo cache should not be in the same building everytime. Have it spawn in a random location, like in the Insurgency Mode for Project Reality.

Also, am I right that as long as the US don't take out the cache, the game won't progress any further than the initial assault?<

Yeah, the cache is the first objective. It should be in the briefing. Maybe I should lay out some satchels at the start? It would be nice if someone took a class that corresponded with the mission, though.

The initial ammo cache should not be in the same building everytime. Have it spawn in a random location, like in the Insurgency Mode for Project Reality.

I'd planned that, if people actually like the game. As well as secondary objectives - like avoiding collateral damage and civilian deaths - with consequences for the side that ignored them. Also an opportunity once the game gets nearer the end for the enemy to push back and win by re-capturing a point (first objective is destroy, second kill a commander, last three are capture points). Only if people are interested, though.

Must also convince the marine AI to not turn and dive into the ocean in the opening moments of the game.

Not sure you'd find that in the SOP for proper ordnance disposal. But hell, if it works...

Seems I missed out a line in the init to sync JIP players to the taskupdater. Also need to move the approach to second spawn, as Opfor gathered near there to try to camp the marine spawn.

The balance seemed alright, though - despite being mostly pinned near spawn, a quick flanking manouvre brought down the first objective. Insurgent RPGs took out the reinforcement armour as it attempted to clear the immediate area, but again, a wide and careful (and not nearly so quick) flank got the Chedaki commander. I left soon after as I became dismayed when the chopper reo's didn't come and the c-130 dropped our armour closer to the enemy then to us :mad: It's a lovely part of the countryside to make war, though, and not just fly over or teleport past.

*Issues above should be addressed. File is re-uploaded in initial post. Also, Marine fireteams are now 6x4, while the insurgents have four 3-man teams built around the heavy weapons and two 6-man teams of small arms.

Edited by Reimann

Sorry about the delay. First post updated with new file.

Any chance of adding an OPFOR demo expert with 'fragstick' mines to keep the BLUFOR back a bit longer?

If it were just the one class it shouldn't upset the balance too much and add to the defensive element of the map for OPFOR

It should run fine as 4v4. If it looks under-populated you can take over an AI fireteam or eight.

I don't know what a fragstick mine is, but I thought the US already had a somewhat difficult time of it. Is it an ACE thing? While ACE changes every day I'm hesitant to use it.