Sign in to follow this  
Gtime

NooB with no guide... manual... or experience

Ok... have been playing Opf:R for a couple of days now, and am really enjoying it. Only thing, is I don't play many games, and a pal gave me the game but the guide is missing. There's some info about new vehicles etc.. but no real instructions. So, I'm trying to find some info about how to do some basic stuff.

ie: using the map... I don't really get the coordinate structure.. sorry if I'm being thick here.

Also, when I'm acting as a commander in the single player campaign... how to figure out who has what weapons, and how to get them to use those weapons effectively... taking out tanks and such.

And, I've figured out how to get everyone into tanks, but how to order them around etc... man... and when I get in a tank, should I be the commander? Is that the easiest way, when there are comrades with me to function as gunner and driver. If so, how do I get the gunner to fire on stuff?

Yeah.. sorry for the collection of questions. I'm sure that a basic guide exists, but I've been searching and can only find walk-throughs.

Thanks for any help that you can give! Cheers!

John

Play the campaign it will teache you all that stuff.

STGN

No harm in giving this a read too.

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Operation_Flashpoint:_Hints_%26_Tips

You should be able to differentiate between units by looking at the soldier icons at the bottom of the screen.

AT units will usually fire on tanks anyway,if they're in range.

If the vehicle is outside the range of anti-armor,I prefer to have them hold fire,then order them to "target" the tank.When it gets within range and the AT unit has a decent shot(they should call out "ready to fire")you can order them to open fire.

If you had simply told them to fire,they most likely run off to get in range.Revealing themselves and making it fairly obvious where the rest of your squad is.Not good.

As for the tank situation.It can be personal preference.Some people choose a role and stick with it,for the sake of realism.But you can switch roles to suit your needs at the time.If you need to get somewhere in a hurry,you should probably drive yourself.If you don't trust the AI's accuracy you should take the gunner's seat.It's up to you really.

But in any case,STGN's suggestion is spot on.Just get your control keys set up the way you want.

The faster you can access them,the less time it'll take to react to trouble.

By the way,welcome to the forums.

:)

Edited by Macser

Gtime,

playing the campaign and reading the wiki will certainly help you a lot. But if you are looking for the official manual, I think you should find a pdf version on one of the CDs.

Intresting thing when i start ofp playing uses only v to see.i came to learn 3rd person view after 4 months.when i find it in ofp wiki.

Ok... Thanks for all of the help guys! I have actually figured out why the game has been so challenging. That is because I've been playing Resistance before Cold war. Going through the Cold War Campaign which I have started today, has been extremely helpful. LOL...

Anyway, I'll be checking out the wiki... my advice to any other beginners! Be sure to play Resistance after you have played CW. :)

Cheers,

John

most of the things I've learned in Resistance i figured out on my own. I'm sure giving the wiki a read over won't hurt.

the editor is another way to learn about the game.

pick a map, then double click on the map, make sure the thing is on units and put a soldier down and hit preview and play around with the controls.