Sign in to follow this  
Herbal Influence

Steam, xfire ...

there is limit on amount of characters availble in that text area ...

if You need more info go to OA main page

there is limit on amount of characters availble in that text area ...

if You need more info go to OA main page

Thanks but i thaught more of it being a good place to advert the stand alone a bit better.

Thank you, Bohemia!

For the freedom as shown in my signature but also for not being one of these bastards:

The highest Civil Court in Germany (BGH - "Bundesgerichtshof") lately published a sentence, like this:

"It's legally possible for a game publisher only let you use your game when using a certain login and password. Even though it is no more possible for a buyer of that game to sell this anymore as a consequence."

A German Consumer union requested US game publishers to stop this practise and asked the courts for help - help was denied.

Freedom denied.

Hello, to all!

I have a very important question to developers.

As we all know, Steam goes to Mac in April 2010. :yay: :bounce3:

Do you plan to make available a Arma2 or Arma2: Arrowhead on Steam for Mac?

Arma2 not support PS3 (my console), so maybe it come to my iMac10,1?

Here a army of possible mac players! You can raise a millions of dollars! :D

Do you plan it, Bohemia?

No plans for a Mac version.

since this was bumped anyway

I have to say I love Steam. A lot of retailers only offer mainstream games in contrast to Steam who offers the whole spectrum 24/7.

No problems so far.

eh not really. steam are extremely picky about which games from non-bigname publishers are released on there. you have to be a really successful developer already or have an already established and successful game to get on there, or they will flat out just deny your application. it's closer to how xbox live arcade operates, it's all marketing and pr crap controlled with carefully planned releasewindows and strategically filling out the different game genres. absolute bullshit

I am not sure if it was posted earlier (I didn't see it) But you can play ArmA 2 without steam being on. I made a simple shortcut to exe and it works fine withoout steam on. Just a heads up.

---------- Post added at 04:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:00 PM ----------

No plans for a Mac version.

that's too bad I think it would be nice (even tho I don't own one) if all our games ever were ported to Linux or Mac I would switch OSes.

it's mainly due to matchmaking but for example i like STEAMcloud feature (backup-storage of your configurations,savegames/campaign progress server side)

As someone who loves steam, and only really buys games through steam, because it's so good at updating them, generally, I have to say that I absolutely HATE, HATE, HATE steam cloud.

Unless your two computers are identical all it does is mess things up.

For example, on my gaming machine I can run ArmA on pretty high settings with a long view distance because I have a cutting edge CPU and a cutting edge GPU, but on my laptop I have a limited "mobility" ATI card and only a Core 2 Duo CPU. I can still play ArmA on that laptop, but only if I put everything into the lowest settings and play with a reduced view distance.

Does it REALLY make sense to synchronize settings between those two? Hell no. It will either make for a sub-par experience on the i7 or an unplayable experience on the laptop. I don't even want the same modules installed: I can't afford things like ACE on the laptop!

Now it can be done properly--if you synched over my key bindings and a few other really generic things like that OK, but don't synch over ANYTHING that could impact performance.

Even Valve gets this wrong. I also play Counter-Strike which has steam cloud and I have the exact problem: Valve syncs over my video settings from the high powered gaming machine and tries to apply them on the laptop.

Of course you can turn steam cloud off, and I do.. but just a warning to any developer who thinks it's the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. It can be a very frustrating thing to back out the damage an unwanted steam cloud update can do since on a machine like my laptop you probably had to spend a lot of time tuning the settings to get the most playable experience, then steam cloud comes along and blows it all away.

Edited by Polar Bear

There is one problem with Steam cloud: Steam account is a proprietary type of account and users that do not have and do not want to have Steam for any reason are simply left out (and pretty much the same can be told for all other existing solutions for friends / matchmaking / cloud storage for games).

As someone who loves steam, and only really buys games through steam, because it's so good at updating them, generally, I have to say that I absolutely HATE, HATE, HATE steam cloud.

Unless your two computers are identical all it does is mess things up.

This times a million-bajillion.

Steam Cloud is an AWESOME idea, poorly executed.

Things like savegames, keyboard settings, and all that kind of jazz should DEFINITELY be part of the cloud data.

Things like screen resolution, detail settings, and other gfx settings should definitely NOT be part of the cloud data. I really have to wonder what they were thinking when they included these items as part of the cloud settings...

Its so close to being awesome, but still so far...

many ways how make use of STEAMcloud even with it's limitations

1st) as user you can disable or enable STEAMcloud on per title basis

so as customer You may decided if use or not

2nd) it's all about how it's supported by the title

simplest way is to support game saves (campaign progress) etc.

3rd) video/audio game options should be left out

for ARMA serie of games it would make sense only for control settings due to level of complexity what and how you can defien e.g. for keyboard

and use as opt-in instead of opt-out

(note: i never understood why Valve don't offer Cloud profiles manager for users with multiple computers)

4th) it's usable only for owners of game on the STEAM

for reasons which Maruk already mentioned