Sign in to follow this  
zachhox

High End Graphic Cards still not working V1.17

I'll just make a new topic I guess, especially since the 2 weeks are almost up and I hope BI is still out there :D.

2 computers:

AIT HD4890

Vista 64bit

Newest ATI driver 9.9

Doesn't load up, menu fuzzy and letters messed up.

New computer:

hd4890 vapor x

8Gb Memory

Core I5 750

Vista 64bit

Starting it up, that window with the hooks comes, black screen and a loading sign but no reaction, it takes hours to load.

Any solutions?

And if I may ask, why doesn't or wouldn't arma run on a high end graphics card, why is that in the first place?

Thanks.

This is really weird! I am about to put together a I5 rig for Arma with ATI 4870 X2 graphics card but if its not going to run ArmA or ArmA2 better... I am going to consider not spending the money afterall..

Even for other games, obviously you should get the 4870 X2 :D.

I wish BI would solve the problem though.

Kinda crazy and very weird arma doesn't run on the high graphic cards so you can meet its performance, kinda upside down world :).

But definitely get that 4870 X2 if you can man, definitely.

If, for now/so far, you want arma to run get a 3000 series but than you'd be indeed ONLY getting it for arma.

Unless you would use your old computer, like the one you have now unless you upgrade it, use a 3000 series in that or something. That would work.

yeah... 3000 series is like stone age technology :(

Is everyone downgrading for the sake of ArmA? I am now concerned also about ram since my new rig comes with 8gb of ram...sigh... why won't ArmA run on high end rigs??

You know what? After so much modding and tweaking, i am getting smooth framerate from my ArmA at last and hey, its a 1.8ghz laptop I am talking about! Much lesser than minimum requirement! Whats going on??

I actually clocked over 15fps consistently with ECS on! hahahah... yes, it runs even smoother without ECS... ECS's sounds really take up a lot of computing but hey, they are soooo cool! Wonder if HIFI is going to incorporate some of those sounds in his mod (things like radio chatter, bullet whiz)... maybe I should ask him.

All pointless spam and DR comments removed.

This is the troubleshooting forum, for praising DR we have a thread in the offtopic forum.

With the 1.7 beta, I have no trouble running Arma (1) entirely smoothly - ironically with a 4870 x2 (plus another 4870). I haven't checked whether it's using CrossFire properly, since I'm getting smooth framerates. This is with more addons than you could shake a stick at. I turn post processing to low and shadows to off. I don't like pp in the game anyway, but I think there's something about the way the shadows are rendered that modern tech just doesn't like. AA and ASF are both set to 'normal'. It runs infinitely better than on the rigs I had 3 years ago and 1 year ago.

Does it bother me that I can't max it out? -Not in the least.

Seems to me it's running just as smoothly as A2, although the player movements are a bit more 'clunky'.

With the non-beta releases, CrossFire wouldn't work at all, as I couldn't get the game to run, except in windowed mode.

I find that with A1 you sometimes get problems with corrupted add-ons, and it's worth a reinstall once a year or so if you use lots of them.

For me, it's definitely worth keeping Arma 1 installed. Arma 2 addons still haven't quite caught up, and it runs smoothly for me with a huge number of units on the map: - probably because it's lacking Arma 2's 'micro-AI'. Anyway, its 'render-style' is completely different to that of Arma 2 (less hyper-realistic), and I find it quite likeable.

Edited by Richey79

I disagree with Wolle's rantings about OFP2 DR being great. I took a look and think it sucked. What are you thinking m8, posting stuff like that??

Back on topic: With these reports about 4870x2 cards not running right, I too am reticent to spend cash on a newer card until the bugs in them are ironed out. Shame cos the 4870 was my aim for a while.

Is it only when in crossfire that you guys are getting problems?? Can you test both-ways crossfire on/off please and report results?

p.s. lol, J/K Wolle - I know you were quoting really :P