Sign in to follow this  
TRexian

WIP JTD Ambient Civilian Traffic module

I just tried it and it was ok but at some point the spawned dudes met with the other dudes that I put on the map and they started fighting each other before we arrived and then the choppers came and killed some tanks and the trees caught fire and our game started lagging like a mofo!

Complete chaos! We had to quit it though because we couldn't even see who the hell was shooting but it was fun.

I guess I have to start tweaking the values to find a good balance.

Thanks.

If a mission maker uses this, will the players have to have the mod installed also?

That is a great question, that I'm not quite sure the answer to. :)

I *think* for SP, the mission maker and player would both need to have it.

But, for MP, I *think* it would only need to be on the server. It really just creates stuff. The only things in the pbo are scripts and an icon.

By way of update, I have it working now with SILVIE vehicles. Or rather, I'm not getting the error anymore. I really don't know what I did, if anything, to "fix" it. I was getting an intermittent error with a test mission, and couldn't track it down, so I just started a different mission, and it cleared up.

I have a custom icon that, after converting it to paa, is just blue. So, I have to sort that out. And, I'm going to have an example mission with it. A couple other things, and it'll probable be ready for a public ver. 1 release, barring any crazy errors coming forth from the testing.

After I preview the game once all of the drivers are spawned they completely disappear if you stay. I think it's because once the drivers are spawned they go drive off to some remote location and NEVER get deleted so most of them won't stay in the city. Maybe once they drive off like two miles they should automatically get teleported back in your proximity to have the feeling of a live city instead of a dead one currently.

That is a great question, that I'm not quite sure the answer to. :)

I *think* for SP, the mission maker and player would both need to have it.

But, for MP, I *think* it would only need to be on the server. It really just creates stuff. The only things in the pbo are scripts and an icon.

By way of update, I have it working now with SILVIE vehicles. Or rather, I'm not getting the error anymore. I really don't know what I did, if anything, to "fix" it. I was getting an intermittent error with a test mission, and couldn't track it down, so I just started a different mission, and it cleared up.

I have a custom icon that, after converting it to paa, is just blue. So, I have to sort that out. And, I'm going to have an example mission with it. A couple other things, and it'll probable be ready for a public ver. 1 release, barring any crazy errors coming forth from the testing.

Thanks, i'll test it and post here the result...

After I preview the game once all of the drivers are spawned they completely disappear if you stay. I think it's because once the drivers are spawned they go drive off to some remote location and NEVER get deleted so most of them won't stay in the city. Maybe once they drive off like two miles they should automatically get teleported back in your proximity to have the feeling of a live city instead of a dead one currently.

Yeah, the timing is something that will need some tweaking.

Currently, after a random amount of time from 2-5 minutes, there's a check system. If the original civ is gone, the car/driver/cargo combination is deleted. That's upon the assumption that the player has left the original spawning city. If the original civ is still around, then a waypoint is supposed to be generated back at that civ. Drivers spawning outside the city and coming into the city get a dismissed waypoint upon arrival. But, I think that makes some of them get out of their cars and wander around. :) Or, stay in the cars and leave.

I think part of the issue is that the cars spawning in the city actually get waypoints towards a nearby city - sometimes quite far away. So, by the time they get there, then come back, some time has passed. Also, I'm not sure how often the ALICE civs are respawned.

One thing I've somewhat struggled with is that these are, mostly, very small towns. Small towns like that don't get much traffic at all. The larger cities should generate more, but that's also made it hard for me to sort out which vehicles are which. :)

I absolutely appreciate the feedback. :) And, suggestions on how to structure various aspects are helpful, too.

Edit:

Quick youtube vid of the idea:

Edited by TRexian
Add utube link

You may as well get this locked and start a release thread in the other section for this now, get more downloads and tests :)

Ah - very good.

Call me ubern00b. :D

Is that something I can do, or a mod does? And should I start a thread first, or wait for this one to be closed?

I ph34r moderators.... :cool:

After installing this twice and following the directions (Alice Module? Why not just say the ambient civilian module...i looked for that Alice module for two days searching the net...)

I get no JTD Ambient Civilian Traffic module on any menu any where.

Ive only been designing missions in Flashpoint and arma and now arma 2 for 7 years...so please excuse me for not being able to understand 'simple' directions.

How about a guide for dummies? Where is the JTD Ambient Civilian Traffic module and why dont i see it?

---------- Post added at 04:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

After installing this twice and following the directions (Alice Module? Why bot just say the ambient civilian module...i looked for that Alice module for two days searching the net...)

I get no JTD Ambient Civilian Traffic module on any menu any where.

Ive only been designing missions in Flashpoint and arma and now arma 2 for 7 years...so please excuse me for not being able to understand 'simple' directions.

How about a guide for dummies? Where is the JTD Ambient Civilian Traffic module and why dont i see it?

Didn't realize you'd posted and PM'd! :)

Here's what I just sent you in a PM:

Ah, got it.

In your mission, you've placed the ambient civilian module (its official name is ALICE):

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Ambient_Civilians

(And, you've placed a player-unit.) :)

Then, still in the modules list (F7) scroll down and look for a JTD Ambient Civilian Traffic module. They are in alphabetical order, I believe.

Place one of those on the map, then enter the game. When you go into a city, you should see civilians, and some vehicles being driven around.

You can also place the ambient civilian vehicle module (SILVIE):

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Ambient_Civilian_Vehicles

For more vehicles.

Also, unlike most OFP/ArmA addons, you need to have the <arma2 root>\userconfig\JTD folder and place the hpp file in that folder.

Hope that helps. If not, let me know. If you can post part of your rpt, that might help me figure it out, if it comes to that. Don't worry, we'll get it sorted. :)