Sign in to follow this  
NastyP@sty

Sound 5.1 not right

I have just installed ARMA II and found that my sounds is not working correctly in game.

I hvae checked the Window vista x64 setting and used the test button to make sure the sound come out of the right speakers BUT! in game if someone is shooting in front of me it sounds like the gun shots are coming from behind!!? :confused:

I have reinstalled the drivers;

Checked Windows settings; (Front Left/Right, Centre, Sub, Rear Left/Right)

Checked speaker cables;

Has anyone else had this issue? now how to fix this issue? etc

what soundcard ? if you have x-fi try disable SVM/CMSS3D

I have using my onboard sound. This Motherboard is a;

GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3LR

The only information I could fine about the sound was from there website;

1. Realtek ALC888 codec

2. High Definition Audio

3. 2/4/5.1/7.1-channel

4. Support for S/PDIF In/Out

5. Support for CD In

6. Realtek Azalia audio chip

I will also try disabling the SVM/CMSS3D on this Audio chip tonight.

... if you have x-fi try disable SVM/CMSS3D

No, this ist not the solution (for me).

I have same trouble with 1.04 and/or Beta (earlier versions not) and I have SVM/CMSS3D ever disable. It roars and crackles. We had this once before in a version before the goldmaster!

I've tried several driver versions and the game even reinstalled. However, I am not sure if there is not a fault on board design.

X-Fi extreme Music / WinXP SP3 x86, ASUS P5K, 3 GB RAM, C2D8400

I watch this because I install Win7 x86 tomorrow.

Edited by Blackland

I can't get proper 5.1 either, it's just normal stereo. No positional sound at all, while it works perfectly in Arma1 - even in headphones and simulated 3D. I know Arma1 uses hardware mixing, while xAudio2 is only software, so is this normal for xAudio2 to DirectSound mapping in XP, or is something else wrong?

Game version 1.04+beta, Windows XP, X-Fi Extreme Audio + latest drivers + latest DirectX.

I can't get proper 5.1 either, it's just normal stereo. No positional sound at all, while it works perfectly in Arma1 - even in headphones and simulated 3D. I know Arma1 uses hardware mixing, while xAudio2 is only software, so is this normal for xAudio2 to DirectSound mapping in XP, or is something else wrong?

Game version 1.04+beta, Windows XP, X-Fi Extreme Audio + latest drivers + latest DirectX.

There is positional audio but it isn't very good compared to A1 (which had EAX and Hardware). Unfortunately, as much as X-Fi (Hardware sound) is far superior to software, we X-Fi users have been dumped in favor of a more uniform sound API.

I've been playing Raven Shield for the last few days and it really illustrates how much better hardware sound is. I've been absolutely blown out of my chair by some of the soundscapes :)

Sadly, the only way to experience decent hardware sound is to install older games as, at least for the forseeable future, developers have abandoned it altogether.

Due to everyone going for the onboard crappy sound solution, leaving us audiophiles to cry in a corner.

For the crackling, try lowering your ingame volume below 50% and raise your speaker volume. That should hopefully help.

For the 5.1, make sure you are using 5.1 and not simulated 5.1 or sim3d (as in use seperate speakers).

...I have same trouble with 1.04 and/or Beta (earlier versions not) and I have SVM/CMSS3D ever disable. It roars and crackles. We had this once before in a version before the goldmaster!

I've tried several driver versions and the game even reinstalled. However, I am not sure if there is not a fault on board design.

I watch this because I install Win7 x86 tomorrow.

Okay, Win7HP x86 - it's gone and now works very well.

I use non-offical X-Fi (Auzentech) driver from Daniel_K.

So it looks like positional sound only works in Vista/Win7...

Has anyone managed to get 5.1 working in XP?