Sign in to follow this  
Badassdom

Binarized models

If been trying to tinker with some of the addons that have been made by the community but i can´t find any non binarized p3d´s. Is there a way to unbinarize the communty addons or is it impossible like with the BIS models?

Maybe a sticky on this would be good for beginners like me?

Edited by arkengel

Binarization improves FPS and loading time by the engine for the given model/world.

So in general it is always recommended.

If people make their addons based on BI MLODs, they need to give you their source MLOD

on request due to the BI license.

I tought the only MLOD´s availble where the ones that where released by BIS as the sample models and all the other files where ODOL format? Doesn't that make the modders model his own as the BIS released models where ment for the community?

Thanks for the info.

So its impossible to convert the binarized models from modders into MLOD files as it is in the ARMAII models. I was kinda hoping that the modded models where in a different format that could be openend with something like ODOL explorer

Edited by arkengel

Technically it is possible. So far no tool is available.

Thanks for the info.

So its impossible to convert the binarized models from modders into MLOD files as it is in the ARMAII models. I was kinda hoping that the modded models where in a different format that could be openend with something like ODOL explorer

We bin our models for optimization purposes and to protect our work. If you want a MLOD just send a message to the maker, if he's nice he will provide it for you. No hacking needed :)

Binarization is no protection. You may believe it is, yet this is certainly and practically not

true. Practically true only for the average joe - which seems to be enough to those who

seek protection - so far.

Well I dont't look at it as hacking, there is no male intend:)

Maybe YOU don't look into it as hacking...

Still, while, as Q said, there is no way to actually protect your work via binarization 100% (and if one is technical enough, he should be able to reverse engineer the process and get almost all out of a model - including LODs, selections, animations etc), it still protects from the generic Joe, who cannot modify the content without permission and call it his own, or evern better, sell your model for commercial purposes on any of the websites who deal with this stuff...

So if you wanna "tinker" with a community model, the easiest way would be to ask the original creator about it....

So is there a lot of abuse of models? I can't rember that many stolen addons form ofp. Only some poorly copied stuff that was removed from fairly quickly.