Sign in to follow this  
oldy41

How to get blurred ironsights?

Is there a way to have the ironsights blurred, like it was in Arma1 when enabling post processing, and in OFP?

I tried set PP to max, but that does not help here (and besides, it would have lots of other effects I do not like).

Thanks

A.

Why would you want your ironsights to be blurred?

I wouldnt like that at all, it would throw off my aiming and give me the feeling i'm not wearing my glasses.

Why would you want your ironsights to be blurred?

I wouldnt like that at all, it would throw off my aiming and give me the feeling i'm not wearing my glasses.

Maybe he means the borders blurred, so you focus more on the iron sights themselves, I don't know, just a guess.

And sorry, TC, not sure how you could do that.

Sorry if this was misleading:

When you are aiming down the iron sights of a gun, you focus your eyes on the distant target, not on your near sights. So the sights are not sharp. In OFP it was like that per default, and I liked that very much.

In Arma1 a certain level of post processing achieved the effect. But in Arma2 I could not find a setting.

Why does none of you "ultra realism freaks" complain? :p

Is it only me who is missing this? (Or is it only me who is too blind to find the switch in the options?)

When you are aiming down the iron sights of a gun, you focus your eyes on the distant target, not on your near sights. So the sights are not sharp. In OFP it was like that per default, and I liked that very much.

In Arma1 a certain level of post processing achieved the effect. But in Arma2 I could not find a setting.

Is it only me who is missing this? (Or is it only me who is too blind to find the switch in the options?)

"The human eye can focus clearly on only one object at

a time. For accurate shooting, it is important to focus

on the tip of the front sight post. When the shot is

fired, focus must be on the tip of the front sight post;

peripheral vision will include the rear sight and the

target. The rear sight and the target will appear blurry."

Quote from MCRP 3-01A Rifle Marksmanship.

Good quote mark.

I don't anything should be blurred. Sometimes you need to scan for your targets and sometimes you need to focus on lining up the front sight post. I suppose your trying to simulate something your eyes are already doing (albeit a bit different on a computer screen).

I guess it was removed. DOF didn't work that great in A1 at times. It wouldn't always focus where you want. Many people turned PP off.

If it was implemented a bit better and focussed where you were aiming, I'd be happy to have it back.

I do hope there is no further attempt to simulate human sight. As humans, our eyes automatically and rapidly move, tilt, focus in addition to our ability to rapidly scan around with stereo vision to enjoy situation awareness. Modern games are often a blurry tunnel vision and a pain to play. When was the last time you noticed your blurred peripheral vision, or noticed head bob while walking or running?

The blurry sights in Arma 1 were irritating and really added nothing to the immersion.

Well, not to me :rolleyes:

When I had my military service (back when there were no such things as ACOGs, holo sights etc.), I learned to focus on the target. I do not want to stress this overly (well, I already did, I guess ;)), but simply try it: When focusing on the tip of the front sight you simply cannot see any target at 300+ meters...

So, still sorry that this feature is not there anymore. But I agree that other things would be more important.

Regards

A.

When focusing on the tip of the front sight you simply cannot see any target at 300+ meters...

Very true. On top of that you really can't focus on it for more than 5-10 seconds at a time, after which the strain will be too much and you'll have to give your eyes a rest

You could count me under the term ultra realism freaks, but still i don't think it's very realistic:P

By nature when i focus at a distant target through my ironsights, the ironsights get blurred out naturally, i dont need additional blurring for that.

As an additional example, if you look at the topright of your screen, the lower-left part will be blurred naturally.

That's why i dont think it's necessary to add blur on top of that, it just makes me feel like i'm not wearing my glasses.

Oldy41: I miss the fake DoF as well but I guess we are in the minority. I wish it could be an option...

DoF is one thing that OFP|DR does very well.

Oldy41: I miss the fake DoF as well but I guess we are in the minority. I wish it could be an option...

DoF is one thing that OFP|DR does very well.

I gave OFP|DR a try, but that detail alone does not make it an alternative to ArmA for me. So, I will stick with ArmA2 and its sharp ironsights.

Still, if a talented modder would implement the DOF he could be sure of my eternal gratitude :D

I dont' know is it worth it.

I mean even now i don't control my gun but it's the damn playing character with his: "uuuu! I'm kneeling, maybe i should start touching my self down in my pants."... Or atleast something like that. Which lead to fact that sights are miss-aligned pretty much all the time.

And overall blurred iron sights with AK was problem in ArmA, atleast i didnt' like it a bit. Front pole isn't supposed to vanish.