Sign in to follow this  
Dubbs_Malone

Some questions about ArmA2...

Hello everyone. I am new to these forums and have not yet played ArmA 1 or 2. I am looking for a game to replace BF2 and Project Reality. I just bought Operation Flashpoint 2 and I personally find the game to be unplayable. So I hope it's cool for me to make this thread and ask you guys some questions and get a dialogue going so I can ask questions about the answers to my questions LOL.

I wasn't originally gonna buy ArmA2 because I feel so bitter about OPF DR but I had just heard on another forum that on ArmA2 you can set an option that will create random military factions around the map to be interracted with. And that these factions will also engage each other independently. That really got me interested as I like that concept concerning game immersion. Can anyone please elaborate on this and/or share some of their experiences with this kind of gameplay?

I have, however, heard the game can be pretty buggy but that there is a new patch out. How is gameplay since the patch has been released?

And BTW, I'm not asking you guys to convince me to buy it (I'm not that pretentious). I probably will. I am just at work now and I know forums are the best places to learn about games.

Edited by Dubbs_Malone

Hello everyone. I am new to these forums and have not yet played ArmA 1 or 2. I am looking for a game to replace BF2 and Project Reality. I just bought Operation Flashpoint 2 and I personally find the game to be unplayable. So I hope it's cool for me to make this thread and ask you guys some questions and get a dialogue going so I can ask questions about the answers to my questions LOL.

I wasn't originally gonna buy ArmA2 because I feel so bitter about OPF DR but I had just heard on another forum that on ArmA2 you can set an option that will create random military factions around the map to be interracted with. And that these factions will also engage each other independently. That really got me interested as I like that concept concerning game immersion. Can anyone please elaborate on this and/or share some of their experiences with this kind of gameplay?

I have, however, heard the game can be pretty buggy but that there is a new patch out. How is gameplay since the patch has been released?

And BTW, I'm not asking you guys to convince me to buy it (I'm not that pretentious). I probably will. I am just at work now and I know forums are the best places to learn about games.

Yes the game had rather many bugs on release day but still many people was able to play and enjoy the game. On newest patch the game is running much better, not perfect but far better.

Some are still having problems with CTD's and some claim the campaign is still unplayable though many have completed it, can't help you there as i haven't touched the campaign.. too busy with the editor and playing online ;)

ArmA 2 is very demanding on your computer so make sure your computer is good enough before buying else you might end up in one of the "poor performance" threads. So read around the forums before buying and feel free to ask questions.

Btw, welcome to a awesome community ;)

Could be a good idea to post your system specs so those of us who have been playing Arma 2 for a good few months now can advise you on what settings, patches & mods to use to get the best out of it, thats if you buy it of course! The game rewards patience if you take the time to memorise all the command menus (theres loads) & if you are prepared to take your time when approaching objectives rather than rushing headlong into firefights, and you will get a lot from the editor if you like creating your own missions too!

Anyway welcome to the forums!

I wasn't originally gonna buy ArmA2 because I feel so bitter about OPF DR...

I don't see why: BIS (creators of OFP, ArmA and ArmA2) have nothing to do with Dragon Rising.

...but I had just heard on another forum that on ArmA2 you can set an option that will create random military factions around the map to be interracted with. And that these factions will also engage each other independently.
That is possible if you are willing to learn how to create your own missions. Especially working with the different modules (one of them is creating above scenario) is a bit tricky at first, especially when you haven't used the editor before.
Every game has its flaws and bugs, however it's definitely not unplayable as many people in other forums will make you think. It's the same problem as with all other games too, at one person it's running just perfect and the next has horrible problems.

Addition:

Dedicated server files for Windows are available, only the Linux dedicated server files are not available (yet).

I suggest you download the demo and check it out.

Edited by W0lle

I hear you WOlle. I'm a PR guy so I know how it can be. I think I'm gonna buy it, though. The availability of servers is a concern, though.

I've heard complaints about servers and/or lack thereof. That still true?

Here in europe there's plenty of populated servers, though most of them host Evolution and Domination. I personally host homemade missions where team work is the key word.

So if you decide to buy the game your welcome to join in on a game so you can learn the basics :)

Here in europe there's plenty of populated servers, though most of them host Evolution and Domination. I personally host homemade missions where team work is the key word.

So if you decide to buy the game your welcome to join in on a game so you can learn the basics :)

That's awesome. I think homemade missions would be fun. Would it be practical for me to play on European servers? I mean concerning latency? I have heard the servers are predominantly European and that it can cause major lag for US players. I live right near Washington D.C.

There are quite a few squads out there who play private games, and tbh this is 100x better than anything youll experience on a pub server.... something worth thinking about if you decide to get in deep :)

And dont just limit yourself to multiplayer, theres some awesome single player missions & campaigns in the "user missions" section of the forum :)

I have heard the servers are predominantly European and that it can cause major lag for US players. I live right near Washington D.C.

If it's any help I'm doing it the other way around: I live in northern Europe and mainly play on Tacticalgamer's servers, which are in the US. My ping is normally between 100-200, which is completely ok in Arma2.