Sign in to follow this  
Aculaud

Games portraying the "real horrors of war"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Sith @ April 06 2002,11:36)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">(I seriously considered closing it when you started it a while back smile.gif)<span id='postcolor'>

hey, i'll bet youve gotten ideas from the work of others. thats all i did. tounge.gif

Yeah, it would be a disgrace.

Just because of the fact that we even want to experience what they did without actually going to war.

How convenient it would be get the whole war experience from the comfort of our own homes.

I think there are some things that only the soldiers who experienced them should know of.

They fought so hard so that we may never expereince those things.

And here we are discussing why ought to see it in a silly game.

That is why I think it is such a dishonorable thing.

Also, I noticed on the poll that there are those who want to see "EVERYTHING", all the horrors of war.

My question is why? So you want to see babies being thrown onto bayonets, you want to see little boys being forced to have sex with their mothers?

Don't ask me when it happened, I don't remember which war, but it was in a war in one of the far eastern asian countries.

Don't remember when. I will try to get the info. I think it was between China and one of it's neighbors.

Anyways, as for implementation of the actual "horrors of war". I think that OPF has enough of it as it is. No more for me unless I ever happen to fight in one.

well, the parts of it you mentioned, i dont think would do anyone any good to make them a part of our games. Other than that, i prefer to think of it as 'playing the history channel'

ALL board UH-60!

ARE YOU KIDING ME SIR! JHONNY CANT MOVE LEST GET HIM OUT!!!

ARE YOU CRAZY THERE ARE AT LEAST 80 RUSKIES HEADING IN, NO BOARD THE UH-60 CORPORAL

F*CK YOU SIR!

LOL

7: "9 o clock, 12 T80s, 2 BMPs, and a hell of a lot of infantry, 200"

1: "7, Run like hell to forest, 1 o clock"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aculaud @ April 07 2002,08:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">LOL

7: "9 o clock, 12 T80s, 2 BMPs, and a hell of a lot of infantry, 200"

1: "7, Run like hell to forest, 1 o clock"<span id='postcolor'>

6: "Holy s***, 7 has been blown to bits! F*** this S*** I wanna go home!!"

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (IceFire @ April 06 2002,20:27)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Yeah, it would be a disgrace.

Just because of the fact that we even want to experience what they did without actually going to war.

How convenient it would be get the whole war experience from the comfort of our own homes.

I think there are some things that only the soldiers who experienced them should know of.

They fought so hard so that we may never expereince those things.

And here we are discussing why ought to see it in a silly game.

That is why I think it is such a dishonorable thing.

Also, I noticed on the poll that there are those who want to see "EVERYTHING", all the horrors of war.

My question is why?  So you want to see babies being thrown onto bayonets, you want to see little boys being forced to have sex with their mothers?

Don't ask me when it happened, I don't remember which war, but it was in a war in one of the far eastern asian countries.

Don't remember when.  I will try to get the info.  I think it was between China and one of it's neighbors.

Anyways, as for implementation of the actual "horrors of war".  I think that OPF has enough of it as it is.  No more for me unless I ever happen to fight in one.<span id='postcolor'>

I believe you are talking about the Bosnian-Gersegobinan war, I totally agree with you, you want to se war?, join the army and go to Afghanistan!

If you want to feel like your there why not use headphones? I use headphones really good ones and on high volume its good. Nice and silent, nothing going on then suddenly you hear an armored vehical in the distance coming at you, then you hear gunfire and bullets wizzing around (always sounds like their flying right past your head) then the loud sound of bullets tearing into your body is enough to make you jump (the loud sound I mean). The game is better with headphones as you hear things like you would if you were there. Speakers can't do that as good. Maybe this would make the game seem more real? Your sneaking around silent then suddenly *VOOOM* dead. Makes you jump a bit, with speakers I don't.

Its the same with tanks and everything else I guess. Your the gunner of the tank looking at an M1A1 in your sights, his main gun is looking right at you, you fire a round then he does, you hear the shell hit your tank, big bang right in your ears.. I guess what I'm saying is with the headphones on you feel like your there and it makes you sweat.

Or maybe I just get too "involved" in the game. Thats what we plan to do in our LAN games soon.

Nah, i dont think you get too involved with your games, thats actually a good idea.

So, define "Good Headphones". You mean the ones that practicly cover the whole sides of your head, or would some nice Sonys do the trick?

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (Aculaud @ April 07 2002,21:13)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Nah, i dont think you get too involved with your games, thats actually a good idea.

So, define "Good Headphones". You mean the ones that practicly cover the whole sides of your head, or would some nice Sonys do the trick?<span id='postcolor'>

Well good as in not just any headphones. These ones I got are Optimus NOVA44 stereo high bass TV headphones. I got them from a friend in exchange for speakers, it cost him $60 Australian (yeah thats where I am). Of course you don't have to spend alot on headphones any would do. I used cheap ones ment for my compac disc player before I got this trade agreement but the sound is not as good as having proper headphones. The sound cut out alot so yeah if you can afford it. But yeah Sony I wouldn't know I never used headphones untill now. If you got the money yeah buy some good ones. But the expensive ones are basically the same as the ones I got here so you don't have to pay up big.

Dam is that too much? smile.gif

(Nah, your doing fine wink.gif )

Ok, cool. Iv got the kind made by Sony where they cup around your ear and the head band goes around the back of your head. I actually find the sound quality to be quite nice, but i suppose the bigger the better.

Bigger don't always mean better. But I don't know. Bigger ones do the same thing that the ones I have do. I can't really say. But yeah if you got some use them smile.gif anything thats better than compac disc player headphones.

I wouldnt mind OFP being a little more realistic, the soldiers having feelings would be ok.

But as far as war as realistic as it gets with all the emotions and all the people doing nasty stuff, I suggest you check out this site to realise that in some wars its no rules at all, just do anything you want to your enemy to win.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~gduncan/massacres.html

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ChickenHawk @ April 09 2002,16:57)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">But as far as war as realistic as it gets with all the emotions and all the people doing nasty stuff, I suggest you check out this site to realise that in some wars its no rules at all, just do anything you want to your enemy to win.<span id='postcolor'>

Who said there was "suppost" to be rules in war? I'm not starting a fight or anything but its just strange how in war your suppost to kill the enemy but there are certain guidelines that must be followed in order to do this. Even if you take prisoners unarmed they are still the enemy and will kill YOU if they got their hands on a gun or knife. Weapons or no weapons they are still enemy, plus you don't have to waste your resources on them when the resources you use on them are badly needed by your own side. War can be such a contradicting thing.

The Germans towards the end of ww2 were desperate so of course they would do things like that. I would imagine that the Allied troops would want to do the same thing after so much pain was caused.

I haven´t checked out that link that you posted Chickenhawk, but I can Imagine the stuff you will find there and I think someone will not be very happy about this...

Just pointing out what its like to be in a real war...

BTW hardliner the geneva convention says theres gotta be rules in war, just depends if the country your fighting has signed it or not...

Yeah I know ChickenHawk. I don't know what countries have signed it but some countries do not follow or agree with it. I guess someone had to "sanatise" war somehow if you can do that to war at all. I just see rules of war as folly. The objective is to destroy the enemy, regardless of what geneva convention says.

Flashpoint should at least be like Hidden and Dangeous, allowing dismemberment. Entry enad exit wounds should be included, shooting fingers and glasses off, teeth out. Use of wire to pull of heads (happened during one incident between a commando and a German soldier in Normandy, or so I'm told) When you die in a tank you should be grilled in the heat to the metal (I've seen this in a photograph from the Iraq conflict.)