Sign in to follow this  
Das Schakal

I Need help with Arma 2

i just got it and it works but when i play in game it is glichy and slow.

my computer is this....

Windows Vista Home Premium

Rating: 5.0

Processor: Intel® Core Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz 2.39GHz

Memory (RAM): 3.00 BG

System Type: 32-bit Operating System

i would realy apreshiate any help that sume one can give me.

A high end card is an advantage.

If you take the time to read the many previous posts in this forum you will find plenty of information on system specifications, and what kind of performance you should expect.

The amount of information you have supplied is not really enough to give you a sensible answer.

As a help you could post up more specific detail like, what resolution you are running at, what settings you are using under graphics options, etc.

Do a search of the forums and you will find loads of very helpful information on how to greatly improve your frame rates just by changing a few settings.

But regarding what graphics card you would need, the answer is the fastest you can afford. I had a 8800GTS 320M card and found performance a bit poor in Arma2, I changed it for a GTX275 OC 896M card and it runs a fair bit better, although in this game the CPU/memory seems to be a major limiting factor on performance.

No matter what graphics card you use, do not expect to ever get frame rates like you would in BF2 or even FarCry.

Oh, and another issue is that Vista performs a lot slower than XP or Win7.

Hope that helps.

im sorry about that then im realy not that smart when it comes to computers all i no is that im using 1024x768 i do not have a monitor, technaly its a TV 32 flat screen TV and i normaly play my games on 1024x768. ill try and take pics of the settings of Arma 2 i hope it helps im sorry if i am geting ppl mad.

i normaly play COD 2-4-5

Wait 2 more weeks, invest some money in a brand new HD 5850 and you'll be able to play the game in it's full glory. ;)

McJaffa: Not quite true about the XP/Vista/Win7 statement there - for some apparent reason ArmA 2 runs WORSE for me under Win7 x64 than under Vista x64 - with ArmA 1 it's the same, although I don't have stuttering in the menus anymore under Win7 :-P

Das Schakal: As has been previously mentioned your graphics card is not quite up to the task of running ArmA 2 properly, it might help to upgrade but then your CPU/RAM will be your next bottleneck.

ok never mind that last post here i got the spec's on what ever you guys need

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

NVIDIA® GeForce® 8500GT

•256MB video memory

•DirectX® 10, BluRay/HD-DVD capable

•HDCP capable

•Ports:

•One DVI-I (includes DVI-VGA Dongle)

•One HDMI

•One S-Video

i have a phenom x4 2.6ghz.

6gig mem.

HD4870 1gig card. and i still suffer poor performance, its the game that causes it. not the hardware. it needs to be optimized.

ok never mind that last post here i got the spec's on what ever you guys need

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 PM ----------

NVIDIA® GeForce® 8500GT

•256MB video memory

•DirectX® 10, BluRay/HD-DVD capable

•HDCP capable

•Ports:

•One DVI-I (includes DVI-VGA Dongle)

•One HDMI

•One S-Video

Yes, your video card is way underpowered. I would if you go the Nvida line, anything in the 2xx Series. As much as you can afford. It will really turn up the heat on Arma2 play for you. I don't know much about the Radeon's, someone else will have to recommend what series for ya. I think you'll see the biggest improvement without a cpu/vidcard combo upgrade. You'll be able to play arma2 I feel enough to be satisfying. Once you upgrade again, keep the card and just do processor and movtherboard if needed. Arma2 is "playable" on Vista, but XP is where it's at with my machine.

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:33 PM ----------

i have a phenom x4 2.6ghz.

6gig mem.

HD4870 1gig card. and i still suffer poor performance, its the game that causes it. not the hardware. it needs to be optimized.

Poor performance compared to what? I'm getting 35-40 fps and find the game enjoyable on high and very high setttings AA off.

I think this guys machine will handle that with a vid card upgrade. and if he's only at 1024 rez, should be able to be achieved.